PDA

View Full Version : Well paying jobs with lots of travel?

seadog
11-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Subject basically says it all. Got an engineering degree, currently working the oil patch, went in with the hopes of lots of travel but not quite getting it. Gonna stick around for a while longer and hopefully get abroad, but other than that any ideas?

I always thought a lot of people (esp with families/significant other) didn't like travelling, so someone who did would be that much farther ahead.

Teaching English abroad would be nice, but I'd like to be earning at least 50-60ish k and doing technical work, comparable to other engineers with a few years experience.

Amysicle
11-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Not that I have experience in this, but I'm wondering if you have expanded your search to international companies and highlighted other assets you might have that would benefit you in other countries?

But I have noticed that WorleyParsons has some employees who travel on business quite frequently.

googe
11-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Man, offtopic, but it's shocking to see someone say they'd like to be earning such a realistic amount. Then I noticed you're from Halifax.

This same post by someone in Calgary would say they want at least 6 figures, an expense account, 2 months vacation, paid living expenses, and no taxes :nut:

broken_legs
11-09-2008, 09:53 PM
www.rigzone.com

Theres lots of postings for international work.

Gi0
11-09-2008, 11:28 PM
marketing does a lot of travel, well at least in my company they do. I guess sales would also have travel as a requirement

Dumbass17
11-10-2008, 01:25 PM
there are TONS of engineering companies all over the world i'm sure you could find a position within one of them...:dunno:

JeremyD
11-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Drug Mule?

seriously though maybe try changing oil companies (taqa north is expanding all over the world and wanting people). one of the bigger ones might have opportunity for moving to a different country. Or are you looking for 1 week in one place and then a week in another.

thrasher22
11-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Try and get on with a company that does a lot of international work like Nexen? My Dad's an economist and travels to some pretty crazy places, so you just need to get in with the right company.

WWJAI
11-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by googe
Man, offtopic, but it's shocking to see someone say they'd like to be earning such a realistic amount. Then I noticed you're from Halifax.

This same post by someone in Calgary would say they want at least 6 figures, an expense account, 2 months vacation, paid living expenses, and no taxes :nut:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Rat Fink
11-11-2008, 10:15 AM

johnboy27
11-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by WWJAI

Exactly what I was thinking.
Yeah, 50-60,000 is a pretty damn good wage on the east coast.
Back to the original question, companies like Weatherford have services all over the world or maybe Schlumberger. I am not sure they would send you to work somewhere else until you had alot of oilfield experience here first though.

seadog
11-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Well I'm currently with SLB, supposed to be about the best for travel. Its a toss up whether I'll get abroad next year, but at the same time I don't know if I want it. Reason being here we work 15/6, and those 15 days are killer. Abroad you don't get the time off. You just work. At the end of 4 months you might get a couple weeks to do whatever, but that doesnt seem like a great deal. What good is being somewhere exciting if you only ever see a shop and the rig? Also currently in GP.

bituerbo
11-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey Seadog,

A friend of mine was recently telling me about a company who specializes in sending oil workers to foreign regions, and not just rig pigs; engineers and Heavy mechanics also. I'll try and track him down and ask him the name of the company, I believe his son went through there and is now working in the UAE making about 120k as field engineer.

Lex350
11-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Become an international man whore!