PDA

View Full Version : Sales Rep. - Industries??

cressida_pimpin
11-09-2008, 11:35 PM
I'm finishing my business degree in a month and want to pursue a sales position. What companies (and industries) are attractive to be a sales rep in?

This is what I've go so far:

-Procter and Gamble, SC Johnson, Unilever, Johnson & Johnson etc. for "Consumer Packaged Goods"

-Pharmaceutical companies

-Financial/Insurance (banks, or SunLife Financial etc)

-3M, Unisource (no clear category to fit in)

-Dow Chemical

-Oil/Gas

What other companies/industries should I look into for a sales representative position?

Thanks for the help!!

nbaker00
11-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Car sales :dunno:

alloroc
11-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Most companies want sales representatives who actually know something about the product.

Marketing is something you might want to consider instead.

Good luck none the less.

yue
11-10-2008, 01:06 AM
with a question like this a month before graduating you shouldn't even be getting a degree dumbass!

11-10-2008, 01:08 AM
I finished my business degree 6 months ago, i still havent found a job related to anything education wise.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Pacman
11-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Are you a "hunter" or a "farmer"? Would you prefer to take a sales position with a 30k base salary and the potential to make 150k in target income, or would you feel more comfortable with a 60k base and a 75k-90k target?

Those are all great industries you listed but some of those companies will require a few years of solid outside sales and territory management skills before they will make an investment in you.

What's your definition of "attractive to be a sales rep"? Does it matter to you if you are selling protein based biotech drugs, industrial products, packaged goods, office equipment etc or do you just care about compensation potential?

cressida_pimpin
11-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
Most companies want sales representatives who actually know something about the product.

Marketing is something you might want to consider instead.

Good luck none the less.

From what I've read and heard, most people start out in sales and then move their way towards a marketing role.

Originally posted by Pacman
What's your definition of "attractive to be a sales rep"? Does it matter to you if you are selling protein based biotech drugs, industrial products, packaged goods, office equipment etc or do you just care about compensation potential?

I intentionally left "attractive" open ended to get other people's perspectives. To me it would mean limited cold-calling, around 50% travel, strong base salary and selling products that are always in demand (ie. CPG, Pharamaceuticals). I'd like to start out with a bigger base and lower commission structure and as I get more experience, move towards a smaller or similar base and a more aggressive commission structure.

Pacman
11-10-2008, 01:24 PM
What is your base expectation?

Originally posted by cressida_pimpin

From what I've read and heard, most people start out in sales and then move their way towards a marketing role.

I intentionally left "attractive" open ended to get other people's perspectives. To me it would mean limited cold-calling, around 50% travel, strong base salary and selling products that are always in demand (ie. CPG, Pharamaceuticals). I'd like to start out with a bigger base and lower commission structure and as I get more experience, move towards a smaller or similar base and a more aggressive commission structure.

adamc
11-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Copiers / Office equipment / Software is a great place to start.

As Pacman mentioned there is a big difference between farmer and hunter type roles.

He and I are both in sales, but the positions - and types of people we call on, are very different.

adamc
11-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Cold calling is awesome, by the way.

I schedule at least 2 full days a week to do this - couldn't be happier with the freedom my job allows.

My industry is fairly recession proof as well.

James - get back to work!

:D

cressida_pimpin
11-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by adamc

I schedule at least 2 full days a week to do this - couldn't be happier with the freedom my job allows.

What do you like about it?

Originally posted by Pacman
What is your base expectation?

Target first year earnings I would like to hit 60-65k. I guess the base I would need in order to hit that range depends on the commission.

Ideally it would be 55k + commission/bonus

Pacman
11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
I am working. I've been sitting in a hospital waiting room for the past hour waiting for a doctor to come out and tell me he's too busy to see me. :D

Cold Calling is what drives the business and increases sales. I used to have lots of fun doing it and wish my current role would allow me the opportunity to do it more often.

Originally posted by adamc

My industry is fairly recession proof as well.

James - get back to work!

Pacman
11-11-2008, 12:58 AM

What do you like about it?

Target first year earnings I would like to hit 60-65k. I guess the base I would need in order to hit that range depends on the commission.

Ideally it would be 55k + commission/bonus

I would agree with Adam and also look at some of the office equipment companies. The base may not be as high as you want, but they are very open to hiring "green and keen" grads and there is potential to make some fantastic money.

cressida_pimpin
11-11-2008, 01:10 PM
The only reason I would like a base 55K is because I need to qualify for a mortgage with my fiancee. And with a less variable income (ie. high base, low comission) it can help guarantee that I'll be financially stable. The "hunter" approach is definitely something I want to consider later on.

How is IKON Office Solutions or Xerox?

Pacman
11-11-2008, 01:24 PM

How is IKON Office Solutions or Xerox?

I'm an ex "Xeroid". If you can get into the "mainline" division with the vertical territories, then it's great.

It's been a long time since I was in that industry, so I'm out of touch with base salary levels. But I don't think companies were paying 55k salaries with the exception of mainline Xerox (not the Xerox "agency" division) and perhaps Canon.

Also look at Pitney Bowes for their mailroom equipment.