PDA

View Full Version : How do I work this iPod?

em2ab
11-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Believe it or not I've never used one before, and for a technical guy, I can't seem to figure this out. I hooked it to my Ubuntu desktop, deleted all the files/folders from the Music folder and added in all my own mp3 files. When I unplug it, all the names from the old files are still in the Songs list on the iPod and none of my new songs are listed. And when I try to play one of the old songs, it won't play because I deleted it.....WTF? It's my girlfriend's iPod, she loaded it originally. How do you work these things?

I got the USB cable for it here if I need it.

:confused:

Barking_Spidre
11-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Try deleting and uploading all the files via Itunes, and not the music folder? :dunno:

buh_buh
11-10-2008, 11:29 AM
You need to use itunes

badatusrnames
11-10-2008, 11:34 AM
iPods are only itunes compatible out of the box (meaning you need OS X or Windows). However, you still should be able to make it work with Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone
http://www.ubuntux.org/how-to-use-an-ipod-with-ubuntu
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9266

Good luck.

Zero102
11-10-2008, 11:35 AM
If you are under ubuntu, there is no linux version of itunes. This is good news in a way.
Your best bets for programs to properly load/unload your ipod are:
gtkpod
banshee
amarok

In that order preferably, or if you want to spend some time researching it I am sure there are other even better programs, those are just the only ones I have experience with.

jav_
11-10-2008, 11:36 AM
no you dont need to use itunes..wont work for ubuntu anyways...

i use gtkpod for my ubuntu system...works great

you can find it here
http://www.gtkpod.org/about.html

em2ab
11-10-2008, 11:45 AM
What the fucking hell? Are you serious? I need to use proprietary software just to copy files to this thing?

I just boycotted Apple, how dumb. First the custom USB hookup, now this.

ZorroAMG
11-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by em2ab
What the fucking hell? Are you serious? I need to use proprietary software just to copy files to this thing?

Why is that a big deal? iTunes is free.

em2ab
11-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Free but doesn't work on my computer.
The main point is that I'm a developer and I spend my days trying to make my products as user friendly as possible and concentrating on ease of access. It's the principle that a company decided to do something ass backwards instead of making it easier to use. It's just a flash drive, have it load as such.
Anyway, it's just my personal choice, no point in an Apple rant thread. I'm done here. Thanks to everyone that helped me out.

ppatko
11-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I use winamp to manage songs for my IPOD thingy

01RedDX
11-10-2008, 12:49 PM

jav_
11-10-2008, 01:02 PM
use vlc or smplayer

Dumbass17
11-10-2008, 01:09 PM
screw itunes

use winamp

em2ab
11-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Hey man, off topic but how do you make divx work on ubuntu?
Like was mentioned, use VLC as it pretty much plays everything. And if it doesn't play it, it'll ask if you want to search for a codec that will play it.

Make sure you're upgraded to at least version 8.04 of Ubuntu or the latest which is 8.1.

jwslam
11-10-2008, 01:47 PM
yea itunes pisses me off
dumbass17: can you sync an ipod with winamp?!?!

oh. for everyone who completely hates itunes
try sonicstage or worse yet toshiba gigabeat

01RedDX
11-10-2008, 02:03 PM

em2ab
11-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Never tried it. Is there a website where I don't have to install proprietary software that I can test the DIVX playback? Maybe edit your Firefox options to use Totem/Xine for playing online content. :dunno:

jav_
11-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Thanks, I figured as much. But is there any way to make divx web player work with firefox in Ubuntu, for ninjavideo and such, or am I just wasting my time?

ooh..

you can try this ff add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446

you can configure it so the videos opens on any players you want...

i used this to get stage6 working back then

01RedDX
11-10-2008, 02:48 PM

em2ab
11-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Is WINE worth it? I've never used it.

jav_
11-10-2008, 02:56 PM
yeh...used it to get games and office running

Eleanor
11-10-2008, 04:46 PM
My Sony is drag & drop. I-Pod fanboyism FTL. :drama:

jwslam
11-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
actually for my friends and i it was never really anti-ipod or anti-apple, it's just anti-itunes

BerserkerCatSplat
11-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

:werd: Any MP3 player that needs an app to transfer files is fail.

em2ab
11-10-2008, 04:56 PM
As well as the audio tests that were done a while back, the iPod had horrible decoding results. Even the River had a much better sound quality than it. I kind of like Steve Jobs but this really surprises me.

Looks like I'll be searching for something else to listen to while I snowboard. Might even just use the Blackberry if I can keep from breaking it.

Zero102
11-10-2008, 11:31 PM
Just use gtkpod, its easy as pie. No reason to go getting more hardware ;)

em2ab
11-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Just use gtkpod, its easy as pie. No reason to go getting more hardware ;)

Thanks for the suggestion but I've lost my interest in supporting the product and the company. Main reasons:
- terrible audio quality compared to other players (could have put up with this....)
- no standard mini USB jack (getting frustrated....)
- proprietary software (iPod boycott)

Seems like they make their own USB cables just to get more money out of you, just like the cell phones....do you want to support that? I use the same cable for my Blackberry, digital camera and PSP, no need to mess with it.

Same with the software, they're creating a public dependency to open the way for advertising later on. Microsoft and Apple have both already created a flash drive interface (Explorer) to interact with things like this, why create something new?

It's the principle. :)

Zero102
11-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Wasn't entirely sure of the reasons, just trying to save a guy a few bucks :)

I get it about the principle, that I do

Dumbass17
11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
yea itunes pisses me off
dumbass17: can you sync an ipod with winamp?!?!

oh. for everyone who completely hates itunes
try sonicstage or worse yet toshiba gigabeat

i'm not sure if you can sync it cuz i don't like syncing my ipod
i add/remove songs that i choose

i don't like sync cuz if i have songs in my library that i do NOT want on my ipod, everytime i plug in my ipod it'll reload the songs from my library...i don't like that at all