PDA

View Full Version : Well this is a new one to me (ticket)

Tik-Tok
11-10-2008, 09:37 PM
A friend of family just got a ticket for having a 'For Sale' sign on his car, parked on the street. I looked it up, and sure enough, it's real, lol.

137(1) No person shall park on a highway
(a) a vehicle displayed for sale, or
(b) a vehicle displaying advertising directing persons to any
commercial premises.

Man, they have laws to grab your money no matter what you do now a days.

Team_Mclaren
11-10-2008, 09:39 PM
what street ? unless it was parked on deerfoot, i say fight that shit

Tik-Tok
11-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Just a normal residential street (in front of his friends house), unfortunately every street is a "highway" in the Highway Traffic Act.

badatusrnames
Parked on the street in front of his home, or parked on a main road in order to advertise that it is for sale?

2EFNFAST

How. It's an actual traffic law, and it's not like it's a few day old money grab.

5000Audi
11-10-2008, 09:44 PM
what a hoax of a ticket.. the city is really trying to pick up money...

it is :bullshit: go fight it for sure!!!!!

Tik-Tok
11-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi

it is :bullshit:

Well, it is bullsh!t, but it is also a law, so there isn't much to fight.

revelations
11-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Normally you dont get "nuisance" tickets unless there was some sort of instigation (ie parked somewhere retarded) or a traffic cop was one ticket short of his daily quota.

FiveFreshFish
11-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
commercial premises.

So you can drive around with the for sale sign but can't leave it up when you park? Stupid law.

How much is the ticket?

rc2002
11-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Parked on the street in front of his home, or parked on a main road in order to advertise that it is for sale?

If it's the latter then I bet the neighbors nearby called it in.

alloroc
11-10-2008, 10:05 PM
A friend of family just got a ticket for having a 'For Sale' sign on his car, parked on the street. I looked it up, and sure enough, it's real, lol.

commercial premises.

Just wait ... the next thing they are going to do is start ticketing commercial vans and work trucks with contact info on the side.

What a stupid law.

Kloubek
11-10-2008, 10:13 PM
That is pretty gay. Sounds like good grounds to fight it - sheer stupidity of a law.

Team_Mclaren
11-10-2008, 10:17 PM
oh i didnt know that a residential street counts as "highway" . still fucking retraded.

inline6turbo
11-10-2008, 10:19 PM
I just got two of those on thursday :thumbsdow

Ridiculous is you ask me

A790
11-10-2008, 10:19 PM

commercial premises.

So what? He was only parked there while he was conducting errands, it's not like it's ALWAYS parked there. ;)

dj techsta
11-10-2008, 10:23 PM
was it CPS that issued the ticket or CPA (parking enforcement)

Because unless there's a complaint, most officers won't ticket a vehicle on a residential street, even if there is a for sale sign on it.

However if parked on a major road, it'll just shit luck that an officer happened to stumble upon it and cared enough to write a ticket

but from what it sounds like it was parking enforcement and one of the neighbors ratted your friend out because their car was depreciating the overall house values of the community with that horrendously ugly "FOR SALE" sign on your friend's car.

v2kai
11-10-2008, 10:34 PM
oh i didnt know that a residential street counts as "highway" . still fucking retraded.

you didnt know that!? that's why all the street racers race up and down at 110! it's a highway:nut:

Canmorite
11-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Money grab at it's finest.

Xtrema
11-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Didn't another poster got his truck towed when he left it with a for sale sign at friend's place?

I think the original intention of the law is so that nobody is parking billboard trucks and etc at every fucking intersection with traffic but perverted to be a money grab.

Good to know for using it against anyone I hate. :rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
11-10-2008, 10:50 PM
i always wonder how pathetic a persons life must be to be able to issue a ticket like this.

Kloubek
11-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
i always wonder how pathetic a persons life must be to be able to issue a ticket like this.

It's not a pathetic life so much as a patheticly high quota requirement?

luxor
11-11-2008, 12:51 AM
^ yeah don't hate the players, hate the game.

Making an honest living isn't pathetic at all. Your post is though.

Redlyne_mr2
11-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Please explain why ticketing someone because they have a for sale sign in their window isn't pathetic. I personally think that a satisfying career is one that contributes to society and that in no way does in any shape or form.

Wehbeast
11-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Please explain why ticketing someone because they have a for sale sign in their window isn't pathetic. I personally think that a satisfying career is one that contributes to society and that in no way does in any shape or form.

F**king meter maids :thumbsdow

gpomp
11-11-2008, 01:15 AM
http://articles.latimes.com/2004/jul/20/local/me-wheel20

Xtrema
11-11-2008, 01:17 AM

Well, these residential ones are usually from complaints.

If they don't do their jobs, they will get reported too.

So I wouldn't fault them for doing their job.

Now that everyone knows the law, only put the sign up when you park in a mall parking lot and not public roads.

Clever
11-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Wow, good to know, I was thinking of parking our Durango on the street for more visibility. Are they going to fight the ticket?

luxor
11-11-2008, 03:18 AM

I'm not sure what your definition of contributing to society is but I can defend that these "meter maids" are indeed contributing to society. Similar to Police, EMS, Bylaw etc, just not as dramatic. If we never had parking control, then everyone would park where ever and however they want to. Downtown would definitely be a shit show. The only reason why you park at a certain location and the way you do is to avoid getting tickets, that in turns keeps parked cars as safe as possible while reducing traffic congestion. Sort of like the things you do-properly-to avoid traffic tickets from the Police.

I agree that this ticket is bs (or even pathetic), but to say that these men and women, who are just doing their job and making an honest living, are pathetic is just pure ignorance. Unfortunately many people are too self centered to walk a mile in another person's shoe to gain the slightest realization.

I've received parking tickets before that I thought were fucking stupid as well, but i don't as far as putting people down like you. Before you get any assumptions, I 'm not a meter maid.

How much is the ticket anyways? think of it as a lesson to be learned and be sure to warn everyone you know about this. I never knew about this until a friend of mine told me he got a ticket for the same reason. I think it's one of those cash grabs. But I honestly think someone called this into the snitch line. I can see cars parked on the side of the road being tickets when CPA drives by, but they don't usually drive around residential areas looking for infractions. So the only pathetic life here would be the person who took the time out of their (very busy) life to snitch.

Grogador
11-11-2008, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by luxor
If we never had parking control, then everyone would park where ever and however they want to. Downtown would definitely be a shit show.

Been anywhere near Chinatown lately? :rolleyes:

luxor
11-11-2008, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Grogador

Been anywhere near Chinatown lately? :rolleyes:

They can't be everywhere at once.

The last time I checked, there were still shootings in Calgary, drugs deals in forest lawn, car getting stolen, and banks getting robbed etc. The Police aren't contributing to society because crime like those still exists and they are, therefore, useless cause they eat at Tim Hortons like the rest of us do. :rolleyes:

TYMSMNY
11-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by luxor

They can't be everywhere at once.

The last time I checked, there were still shootings in Calgary, drugs deals in forest lawn, car getting stolen, and banks getting robbed etc. The Police aren't contributing to society because crime like those still exists and they are, therefore, useless cause they eat at Tim Hortons like the rest of us do. :rolleyes:

show me a place (city/town) where there is ZERO crime rate. There is a finite amount of resources and everyone has their job to do. If the police were to ONLY take care of the bigger crimes, there would be absolute chaos on the streets.

Chinatown parking FTW. I can usually get a spot... on the sidewalk. :rofl:

Ferio_vti
11-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

So you can drive around with the for sale sign but can't leave it up when you park?

IIRC, you can get pulled if your sale sign is in your window as it would obstruct your view.

em2ab
11-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I've talked to a cop who gave out a ticket for this once, just did it because the guy who owned the car was a known gang banger. Maybe your friend is not someone the police think very highly of.

friend = upstanding contributor......lame
friend = gang banger......too bad

Tik-Tok
11-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by em2ab

friend = upstanding contributor......lame
friend = gang banger......too bad

I'll be sure to tell our 50 year old, business owner, family friend that he probably got it because he's a gang banger. :rofl:

gretz
11-11-2008, 11:56 AM

I'll be sure to tell our 50 year old, business owner, family friend that he probably got it because he's a gang banger. :rofl:

be subtle

Dumbass17
11-11-2008, 01:44 PM
see my DEAR CALGARY PARKING AUTHORITY thread

i left my truck in calgary for 4 days while i went to Pemberton and i thought 'i'll advertise it for sale with this nice sign in the window'

come back, truck is gone..got towed, impounded and ticketed
= $185 total

managed to fight the ticket and got reimbursed for $36 (whoopie!)

but they wouldn't reimburse the impound lot fee for some effass reason