PDA

View Full Version : car cover for daily use/winter use

szw
11-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Anybody use a car cover daily, even in the winter? Usually people store them with car covers, not use them daily, especially in all the snow.

I don't have a garage and the only spot I have is in an alley under a tree. There are restaurants across the alley so birds always hang out on the tree and shit all over the place, everyday.

The other option is to park on the street, but cars aren't allowed from 7am-9am and 4pm-6pm so its a bit of a pain.

djayz
11-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Sounds like a pain in the ass to put one on and take it off everyday, not to mention if your cars not clean your just rubbing stuff into the paint.

SetoJai
11-11-2008, 10:24 AM
if you work between 7 am - 6pm parking on the streets isn't such a bad idea. but, having to take the car cover off everyday does seem to be a nuisance.

you could build a little shelter over your car where you park, but seeing how it is an alley i would think that it would be narrow....

yue
11-11-2008, 10:29 AM
why would you use a cover for a car you drive daily, especially in winter? you're gonna have to wipe the snow off the cover or the car anyway. i'd rather just wipe it off my car...plus, you're gonna keep your wiper in your house, wipe the car, then go back to your house to store the wiper! thats just gay man!!!

szw
11-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by yue
why would you use a cover for a car you drive daily, especially in winter? you're gonna have to wipe the snow off the cover or the car anyway. i'd rather just wipe it off my car...plus, you're gonna keep your wiper in your house, wipe the car, then go back to your house to store the wiper! thats just gay man!!!

Because otherwise there is 3 pounds of bird shit on my car everyday.

shin0bi
11-12-2008, 12:15 PM
I'd just go to Canadian tire, grab a cheap, thin car cover and be done with it. Its not really ALL that time consuming to wrap and unwrap your car and stow it in the trunk every day... The alternative is to get birdcrap, leaves, dirt, etc. All over your car.

SCHIDER23
11-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I did this last winter, had the same problem only my problem were cats, they neighbour cats will lay on top of the hood since is warm and scratch the paint badly, let me tell you it sucks big time, but it does the job if you don't mind spending an extra 10 min taking it off shaking the snow off and putting it in your trunk everyday.:thumbsdow

szw
11-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Well, I am a pretty lazy mofo so that extra time really doesn't sound appealing. I'm thought about a fake owl, or putting some poison there or something, but somehow I just don't think either would be effective. I'm actually not really permitted to cut this tree down but I'm considering just hiring someone to come and do it when nobody is looking.

rc2002
11-12-2008, 11:03 PM
The car cover is going to end up covered in bird crap and you're going to have to clean it every few days. I think it'd be easier to clean the car than the car cover.

In a couple weeks when the birds migrate you'll be fine right?

petty
11-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by szw
Anybody use a car covers (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/car_covers~pop.html) dailys, even in the winter? Usually people store them with car covers, not use them daily, especially in all the snow.

I don't have a garage and the only spot I have is in an alley under a tree. There are restaurants across the alley so birds always hang out on the tree and shit all over the place, everyday.

The other option is to park on the street, but cars aren't allowed from 7am-9am and 4pm-6pm so its a bit of a pain.

yup, especially this coming christmas it is always advisable to use those stuffs especially when winter approaches.

cloud7
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
any chance that you can cut down the tree when nobody is looking? or just trim some branches off.

szw
11-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Sadly these lazy ass birds don't go anywhere in the winter. I thought about having to touch a poop covered tarp and it grossed me out. (The poop is usually multicoloured....lots of purple and green poop today).

I found some guy to come and cut down a couple branches. I have no visual spatial abilities to estimate girth but the part where I want to cut the branch is about as "thick" as a soccer ball.

I don't think anybody could complain about this, there are no other residential people in the area and it doesn't really affect anyone else.

szw
11-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I know nobody really cares but this is here for closure.

The fuckers:
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/2259/photoud5.jpg

Goodbye home above my car
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/1918/photo1ti8.jpg

Cost only $110 for a guy to cut it down and take it away. Cheaper than a good car cover

szw
11-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Actually I'm kind of pissed off still. I wanted to be able to park where that no parking sign is, but there are still some branches above that spot. The guy said it wouldn't be good to cut those because it was too high and also would reduce the backyard shade in the summer so I said OK. I do at least have a safe spot right behind the garage door which is a bit of an inconvenience but is still acceptable for me.