PDA

View Full Version : ditching cabs

TACO.VIDAL
11-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Taxi driver charged after teen run down

IAN BAILEY

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

November 11, 2008 at 5:21 AM EST

VANCOUVER — Taxi-industry officials expressed shock yesterday that a 15-year-old boy was run down by a cab after refusing to pay for his ride, but said the incident highlights the problem of fare evasion in the industry.

Jasbir Mahal, general manager of Pacific Cab, which employs the driver of the cab involved in the weekend incident, described fare evasion as an "ongoing issue," especially with teenagers.

"Before we reach the destination, they ask you to stop, and they try to run. We only see the doors opening and they're gone, and that's exactly what happened on Saturday night," he said.

Harpal Rai, 61, has been charged with assault with a weapon.

Four youths flagged down a cab in Surrey, took a ride and left without paying the fare, police and Mr. Mahal said.

Mr. Mahal said he has spoken with Mr. Rai about what happened.

"He said he closed his doors. [The youths] were walking on the same side of the street. He was trying to go home. Maybe the kids got scared, the taxi coming behind them, so they started running, and that's where this incident happened."

One of the passengers was hit, and had to be freed from under the cab by Surrey fire crews. The youth was treated in hospital for minor injuries.

The driver is "pretty shocked" at what happened, Mr. Mahal said.

"He has had 30 years in a taxi and he said he never expected that kind of accident could happen with him."

Mr. Rai has had an excellent record since he joined Pacific Taxi in September, Mr. Mahal said.

He said drivers are advised to call the police about fare evaders, but often don't because the sums are relatively low and the drivers are reluctant to wait for officers to arrive.

The drivers are responsible for the lost fares.

Mr. Mahal said Mr. Rai was not inclined to call the police over a fare of about $9, but rather "head home and relax."

Sergeant Roger Morrow, spokesman for Surrey RCMP, said police respond to calls from cabbies depending on a priority basis. "If we're behind on our calls and we've got a number of 911 calls in the queue, they may be waiting one, two, three hours for us."

Fare evasion is a criminal offence, Sgt. Morrow said. However, he added it was not clear whether the youth was being investigated in connection with this weekend's incident.

Mohan Kang, president of the B.C. Taxi Association, representing about 140 cab companies across the province, described the incident as "most unfortunate."

Most drivers, he said, shrug off fare evasion.

This year, the B.C. government enacted a taxi passenger bill of rights for Metro Vancouver that included a provision allowing drivers to refuse passengers who will not pay a deposit on request.

em2ab
11-11-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't get it.

Some guys bailed out of his cab and he ran them down with his car...

OR

"He said he closed his doors. [The youths] were walking on the same side of the street. He was trying to go home. Maybe the kids got scared, the taxi coming behind them, so they started running, and that's where this incident happened."

:dunno: :confused:

schocker
11-11-2008, 10:12 AM
I think it was the first one, I have no idea what the second one is trying to say. Good way to get the kid back though :facepalm: I have only taken a taxi once in fear of getting run down of course.

finboy
11-11-2008, 10:27 AM
it's a shitty situation for cab drivers, there isn't much they can do if someone decides to not pay. i once saw a 60 year old cab driver trying to chase a couple of kids down on foot after they ditched him, he had to be over 60 :dunno:

yue
11-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL

Mr. Mahal said Mr. Rai was not inclined to call the police over a fare of about $9, but rather "head home and relax."

yeah, why call the police when you can run the guy over?

last time i was in a cab the driver asked to see the money up front before he drove. this guy should think about covering his ass before running over someone elses

Dumbass17
11-11-2008, 01:47 PM
we're supposed to pay cabs?!?!

either way, sad story

Xtrema
11-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
This year, the B.C. government enacted a taxi passenger bill of rights for Metro Vancouver that included a provision allowing drivers to refuse passengers who will not pay a deposit on request.

Interesting.

max_boost
11-11-2008, 02:07 PM
hahaha nicely done. i bet so many cab drivers are tempted to do that.

yeah i have no sympathy and i really don't give a shit.

HP2133
11-11-2008, 02:10 PM
I should look around here for this indiano. His track record is impeccable in the 2 !!! months he's been there

"Mr. Rai has had an excellent record since he joined Pacific Taxi in September"

GQBalla
11-11-2008, 02:25 PM
don't cab lock the doors?

damn i dunno ive never had the balls to run on a cab

403ep3
11-11-2008, 02:26 PM
If I was a cab driver I would do the same thing. Stupid kids..

ragu
11-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Must be having a shitty day to run someone over for $9 but on the other side, why only run over one of them and not all? lol

JfuckinC
11-11-2008, 03:28 PM
haha thats funny.
i always feel bad for cabbies, and im very giving when im drunk so ialways buy them a coffee or something when i ask them to stop at tims, or give them a decent tip for driving me to chestermere.

pinoyhero
11-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Tough case, a bit extreme to run the kid over but deserves something nonetheless.

TomcoPDR
11-11-2008, 03:59 PM
That fuckin' sux, I agree cabs should be able to take payments (or deposit) upfront or refuse service.

badatusrnames
11-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
That fuckin' sux, I agree cabs should be able to take payments (or deposit) upfront or refuse service.

Agreed. I remember speaking with my cab driver one night and he said that he'll refuse to stop for people if they look too intoxicated, shady, etc.

I thought the cab drivers were able to lock the doors and only able to unlock them themselves?

SHO
11-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Agreed. I remember speaking with my cab driver one night and he said that he'll refuse to stop for people if they look too intoxicated, shady, etc.

I thought the cab drivers were able to lock the doors and only able to unlock them themselves?

Seems as though the Cabs in Asia are the only ones that unlock and open with a button the cab driver has access to. Maybe cab companies should look over seas and see how Japan/ China do buisness. This problem would be solved in no time.

badatusrnames
11-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by SHO

Seems as though the Cabs in Asia are the only ones that unlock and open with a button the cab driver has access to. Maybe cab companies should look over seas and see how Japan/ China do buisness. This problem would be solved in no time.

The only caveat I can think about is that it could put some customers (especially women) in a pretty vulnerable spot if the cabbie has less than honorable intentions.

Revhard
11-11-2008, 04:55 PM
No kidding. No sympathy for the cab driver at all. Protect yourself from these things by choosing your customers. If it is mostly teenagers doing this, don't pick them up.
Or, just run them over if they don't pay....

dezmarez
11-11-2008, 06:06 PM
who hasnt done this?

vipstyle2
11-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Ive gotten in a cab and been told to "get the fuck out",
because "17th ave is a bad place to go".
Cabbies, well alot of them are pricks,
Once they asked for 20$ in advance so I had no problem giving him a 20 dolar bill to show im paying, than I arrive and the cost is 15 $ he asks me to pay him and locks the damn door's I was like buddy I already gave you 20 dollars. They're a bunch of fu*king idiots who cant drive, some are nice though =]
I never take cab's anymore because some of them are just ignorant, and running over a 15 yr old kid for a taxi fair is'nt right and he deserves what he got. If anything throw somthing at him jeeze :thumbsdow

HP2133
11-11-2008, 06:40 PM
when you are older, do you want to risk a confruntation ?

In actuality, what happens is they leave doors open and at times, refuse to service patrons.

Isaiah
11-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez
who hasnt done this?

Are you asking:

Who hasn't run someone over? Most people.

Who hasn't taken a cab without paying for it? Again, most people.

Our society is functional because the majority of its patrons are law abiding citizens. The justice and penal systems are in place for the few exceptions that screw it up for the rest of us.

Next time you consider stealing from a cabby, remember that they are actually out earning a living to feed their family while you're out getting slammed with your buddies. If you can't afford something, don't buy it. If you can't afford a cab, don't take one. If you can't afford your life, get a new one.

badatusrnames
11-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Are you asking:

Who hasn't run someone over? Most people.

Who hasn't taken a cab without paying for it? Again, most people.

Our society is functional because the majority of its patrons are law abiding citizens. The justice and penal systems are in place for the few exceptions that screw it up for the rest of us.

Next time you consider stealing from a cabby, remember that they are actually out earning a living to feed their family while you're out getting slammed with your buddies. If you can't afford something, don't buy it. If you can't afford a cab, don't take one. If you can't afford your life, get a new one.

Well said my prophet.

By ditching on a cab, you're stealing from someone who is likely worse off than you are. What's the average earnings for a cab driver? 30k - 40k?

Weapon_R
11-11-2008, 06:56 PM

Well said my prophet.

By ditching on a cab, you're stealing from someone who is likely worse off than you are. What's the average earnings for a cab driver? 30k - 40k?

Probably more, but ask yourself how much they claim :banghead:

ragu
11-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Probably more than 30-40k and yes tax tricks; but the way they make their money is quite miserable, think about all the people they have to deal with. I guess these kinda incidents (ignore running over) would be the daily routine :dunno:

5t3v3
11-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Revhard
No kidding. No sympathy for the cab driver at all. Protect yourself from these things by choosing your customers. If it is mostly teenagers doing this, don't pick them up.
Or, just run them over if they don't pay....

While what the cab driver did is wrong, don't you think the kid who decide to ditch deserve a little bit of the consequence?
You can't fuck around and not expect reaction.

Don't pick up teenagers? Are you advocating discrimination?
Also, how're the drunks gonna get home? Cabs are supposed to reduce drunk drivings.

Asking for deposit is a great solution to this. Kinda like having to prepay before you can pump gas.
Way too many douchebags in this world.

CUG
11-11-2008, 08:04 PM
HAY GUYS, MISS ME?

Anyway, I don't think people should ditch cabs, it's theft... but on the other hand, I don't know one single honest fucking cab driver. Ran his ass over? LOL, but don't cast stones from a glass house.

Isaiah
11-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by CUG
HAY GUYS, MISS ME?

And who are you again?

Trini
11-11-2008, 09:27 PM

well said..fuck having some punk run off and not pay the fare would piss me off too, doubt I would run his ass over though..

88jbody
11-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

And who are you again?
a poor attempt at the "ha guys" joke :dunno:

mekeni
11-12-2008, 11:22 AM
no sympathy for the teenager here..