PDA

View Full Version : Can someone under 25 drive another vehicle?

em2ab
11-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Person A is insured on their own car. Person B is 24 and wants to take that car on their own. Person B is insured on 2 other vehicles, though not sure if she's the primary insurer.

Or does it depend on the insurance company?

88jbody
11-11-2008, 08:14 PM
depends on person A's insurance. if that persons insurance allows people under 25 or not.

person a's insurance is the one that covers that car, so person b's insurance doesn't matter in this case

Isaiah
11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody
... person b's insurance doesn't matter in this case
I think it could be the other way around. I could be wrong but I think that B's insurance extends to whatever vehicle they are driving, including those owned by others.

em2ab
11-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I know for a fact in Newfoundland where I grew up, you can drive anyone's car if you are over 25 and have your own personal insurance. And it's 21 if it's a rental car. I'm wondering how it's done in Alberta.

max_boost
11-11-2008, 11:56 PM
i was going to let my brother borrow my civic si and i asked my insurance (statefarm) about it. because he was under 25, if he crashed it (and was at fault), statefarm would cover it but would terminate my policy! :eek:

UndrgroundRider
11-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by 88jbody
depends on person A's insurance. if that persons insurance allows people under 25 or not.

person a's insurance is the one that covers that car, so person b's insurance doesn't matter in this case

I have been told by AMA that Person B's insurance would cover him for liability in the event that Person A's insurance did not cover it.

As with most things insurance related, it really depends on the fine print of the policies involved. All policies are not the same, and the insurance company changes the new policies it issues all the time, as lawyers are constantly thinking of new ways to screw you over.

rc2002
11-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Call insurance for Person A and Person B. If neither of them covers it then tough luck.

My insurance company covered me when I drove other people's cars when I was under 25.