PDA

View Full Version : Just had my CC# Stolen Yesterday

broken_legs
11-12-2008, 12:04 PM
So BMO Mosaik Security called me today.

I guess someone lifted my MasterCard# and used it to buy a few thousand dollars worth of stuff at HomeDepot and some other places in Ontario.

Now they are mailing me an affidavit to sign saying i didnt authorize those purchases etc.. etc...

Now whats really troubling about this is that my card # had been lifted and I don't even use my MC for anything. About 4 months ago I took all of transactions and switched them over to my Visa card...

So basically what the crooks did was guess at card numbers and expir dates until they created a card that worked... yikes

Make sure you check your statements!

jswankster
11-12-2008, 12:08 PM
or they got your number 4 months ago and are only starting to use it now so you dont know where they got your info

GQBalla
11-12-2008, 12:11 PM
at least they told you.

i found out when i checked my balance one day.

fucken whoever jacked me was smart.

i suspect it was popeyes supplements store near mcmahon.

i only used my visa once that one week and all the sudden next week i had 2 gs worth of shit from futureshop and vistek on it.

i think it was popeyes cause the mofo scanned it twice, i didn't think anything of it cause the buddy kept giving me shaker cups, big shaker cups and protein bars for free.

LOL oh well just a 15 minute phone call was all the was needed to fix the issue

broken_legs
11-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by jswankster
or they got your number 4 months ago and are only starting to use it now so you dont know where they got your info

Perhaps. Personally, if i was stealing CC #s I'd be using them as fast as possible and moving on.

The security lady assured me that only my CC# had been compromised and that my name and personal information had not been given out.

Xtrema
11-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Perhaps. Personally, if i was stealing CC #s I'd be using them as fast as possible and moving on.

The security lady assured me that only my CC# had been compromised and that my name and personal information had not been given out.

Your card is possibility cached in someone's system that was compromised. Some crook got a hold of that DB and duplicated your info on a fake card.

That's why whenever you shop on-line like Dell or Future Shop that give you an option to keep the CC# on file, I always say no.

sk8r3124
11-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I just had my CC# copied at an Esso on Sunday. Such a pain switching everything over and waiting for a new card. Whats worse is that I have $3700 being put on that stolen card for a trip that is going through on it this week. Thats obviously not going to work. I would love to give the travel agency a different number, but until I actually get the card and activate it, I am kinda SOL. Damn theives, why try to steal from me?...... I have NO MONEY

R-Audi
11-12-2008, 12:21 PM
I had mine stolen in South Africa.. which is odd because 99% of the places make you use a CC pin.. guess it was the 1% that got me! Luckily Visa caught it.. but they havent been so quick getting me another card.

em2ab
11-12-2008, 12:23 PM
I was at Sears once and the guy scanned my card and gave it back but then asked for it again saying it didn't work. Before I gave him back the card I wrote down the store, date, time and the employee's name......then handed it to him.

Kloubek
11-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

It depends. By allowing so much time to pass, the thieves make it very difficult to find out where the card might have been comprimised. Only until other cards who shopped at the same location start coming in will they be able to track down where the break in security was. By that time, the theives have moved on to somewhere else.

Sounds to me that the thieves in this case were (remotely) intelligent, and decided to cover their tracks a little better than most.

Mibz
11-12-2008, 01:16 PM
CC#s are often sold in large (tens of thousands) batches and so it may have been taken awhile ago, held for a while, sold and then just used now.

Toms-SC
11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
CC#s are often sold in large (tens of thousands) batches and so it may have been taken awhile ago, held for a while, sold and then just used now.

This.

Most likely only cost $10 for your card information which is the sad part!

SilverRex
11-12-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm sure all of that is about to change when every credit card start coming with a 4 pin access code like a debit card. My scotia visa has already send me a letter requesting me to get to a bank for the change.

Once you have a 4 pin for credit card access, it will be quite difficult to duplicate unless you give away your pin at the same time. By then the owness is on you though so I wonder if credit card company will nail you for loosing your pin to someone.

em2ab
11-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex
I'm sure all of that is about to change when every credit card start coming with a 4 pin access code like a debit card. My scotia visa has already send me a letter requesting me to get to a bank for the change.

Once you have a 4 pin for credit card access, it will be quite difficult to duplicate unless you give away your pin at the same time. By then the owness is on you though so I wonder if credit card company will nail you for loosing your pin to someone.

That just moves the responsibility from the company to the consumer, typical corporate giant greed.

"Oh, your signature doesn't match? Our mistake. Sorry."
"Oh, they put in your PIN, you must have given it out, too bad!"

Chris88CL
11-12-2008, 02:10 PM
You wanna know what REALLY sucks?

It's when they get ahold of your CC number and that CC is one of the ones that doesnt have a credit limit assigned and it just takes the funds out of your chequing account. :thumbsdow

They didnt rack up a bunch of someone elses fake money, they cleaned out my chequing account with it. Booked trips to South Africa, Rental Cars, Hotels etc. Fortunately I got it all back but it took a couple weeks.

schocker
11-12-2008, 02:13 PM
I check my cc's online every few days to make sure things are in order, along with my bank accounts, you can never bt too careful when it involves your own money.

Pacman
11-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
at least they told you.

i suspect it was popeyes supplements store near mcmahon.

i only used my visa once that one week and all the sudden next week i had 2 gs worth of shit from futureshop and vistek on it.

i think it was popeyes cause the mofo scanned it twice, i didn't think anything of it cause the buddy kept giving me shaker cups, big shaker cups and protein bars for free.

LOL oh well just a 15 minute phone call was all the was needed to fix the issue

DUDE! I bought something at the same Popeyes in the summer and the the guy at the counter was looking at me enter my PIN on my debit card. It was so obvious that he was doing it, that I asked him "did you catch all of that, or would you like me to re-enter it again so you can get the full number".

I walked out the door, called the bank from the parking lot and had them freeze the card until I could change the PIN.

GQBalla
11-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Pacman

DUDE! I bought something at the same Popeyes in the summer and the the guy at the counter was looking at me enter my PIN on my debit card. It was so obvious that he was doing it, that I asked him "did you catch all of that, or would you like me to re-enter it again so you can get the full number".

I walked out the door, called the bank from the parking lot and had them freeze the card until I could change the PIN.

really??

was it a skinnier guy?

he had dark hair and didn't even look like he touched weights

Pacman
11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

really??

was it a skinnier guy?

he had dark hair and didn't even look like he touched weights

Yup. I even told the RBC Visa agent that I was 100% positive this dude was blatantly looking at me enter my PIN number. It wasn't a casual glance....he was starting at me while I entered it in.....and kept starting at the pin pad after I had finished entering it when I looked up at him.

Can't really remember...but he wasn't a big guy. I think he had spikey hair and looked like he could have been in one of those boy bands.

95RSzy
11-12-2008, 10:18 PM

I have this one too. I think this is a brilliant idea so it's not easy to steal your money away :clap:

GQBalla
11-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Pacman

Yup. I even told the RBC Visa agent that I was 100% positive this dude was blatantly looking at me enter my PIN number. It wasn't a casual glance....he was starting at me while I entered it in.....and kept starting at the pin pad after I had finished entering it when I looked up at him.

Can't really remember...but he wasn't a big guy. I think he had spikey hair and looked like he could have been in one of those boy bands.

sounds exactly like him

Dj_Stylz
11-12-2008, 11:52 PM
My CC$ got stolen last week. They called me and asked me if i was using my credit card on some online gambling website. They didn't catch all the transactions. The only one they stooped was for $4.00 haha. Just got my new one today but didn't receive my pin yet.

sneek
11-13-2008, 12:52 AM
I usually only carry 2 credit cards around, one for paying for stuff at superstore and tims really fast (MC Paypass) and a Visa for everything else. I rarely buy stuff on the Visa as I usually pay for things in cash, so I think my CC got stolen at the Macs or 7-11 on Northmount. :thumbsdow

This is probably a really noob of a question, but how safe are the pay passes? I mean if I can tap my card against a reader and pay for things, doesn't that mean that some really hitech thief could take get my CC info relitively easily.

bignerd
11-16-2008, 08:37 PM

There is no difference between this and a debit card, and debit cards are still skimmed with PIN's every day by the thousands.

If someone does skim your debit card the bank still re-imburses you so not sure how adding the PIN to a credit card would put the onus on you?

After working at the bank and seeing all the shady things that go on I always cover my PIN when entering it. Also, after the cashier swipes your card they *should* give it back to you, if they hold onto it make sure it does not leave your sight.