PDA

View Full Version : Bubbletea

OfficerTJHooker
11-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew any really good places for bubble tea in Calgary. Ever since I came back from China and taste their milk tea, I've just been crazy over it. I don't mind if it's halfway across the city, or in downtown, I am just curious. (I'm anticipating some replies from the oriental community of beyond.ca :rolleyes: )

Yeah yeah, before you tell me 'just look in china town', I need to know a specific place. Whether it's the name or the address, it would be nice to have.

P.S If you also have a sweet recipe for a bubble tea, could you link me or post that up here? Thanks.

GiangZilla
11-12-2008, 02:45 PM
For milk tea but no bubbles I would suggest the place on center street close to 16 ave. NE called sun's the best milk tea calgary has to offer that I know of!

max_boost
11-12-2008, 02:45 PM
bubblemania is like the official beyond.ca fav!

i also frequent dessert house, bubble house, try again but for late night, bubbles owns.

toyboy88
11-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Bubblicious in Pacific Place mall in the NE (by the T&T).

Have heard try again ion chinatown from a bunch of people (have never gone there myself).

GQBalla
11-12-2008, 02:51 PM
sun chiu kee's has good milk tea.

try again is good

imjimmylin
11-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
sun chiu kee's has good milk tea.

+1 SOOO GOOD :thumbsup:

98type_r
11-12-2008, 03:05 PM
try again ftw, but their hours ftl.

GiangZilla
11-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Sun chiu kee is called sun's now!

adam c
11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
milk tea always hurts my stomach so much... dunno why

1997GSR
11-12-2008, 03:25 PM
chinatown??? :dunno:

GQBalla
11-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by adam c
milk tea always hurts my stomach so much... dunno why

are you lactose intolerant?

there is a bit of milk in it.

godlovestofu
01-26-2009, 11:34 PM
where is try again?
i got this address from google but when i went there it was like some rundown bakery or something
111 3 Avenue SE

adam c
01-26-2009, 11:38 PM
hmm post from the past

nope, not lactose intolerant

anyways, peerless pearl is my favorite, strawberry calpis ftw (has ice cream) mmm

rumeo
01-26-2009, 11:46 PM
hmm post from the past

nope, not lactose intolerant

anyways, peerless pearl is my favorite, strawberry calpis ftw (has ice cream) mmm

hmmm sounds delicious

is this it?

132 2 Ave SW Calgary, Alberta T2P 403-233-7718

Isaiah
01-26-2009, 11:47 PM
peerless pearl is my favorite

+1.

adam c
01-26-2009, 11:59 PM
yep that's it

if you google map the address, it puts it in the chinese cultural centre, but it's actually east of it

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mr&ie=UTF8&ll=51.051505,-114.064326&spn=0.000983,0.002414&t=h&z=19

swak
01-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Northmount + 14th St NW
'bubbles'

Ive been to many bubble tea places in Calgary, and hands down this is the best ive ever had.

Just dont go to Thai Tai. There food is good though.

CKY
01-27-2009, 01:09 AM
For milk tea, Sun's, Calgary Court, Pebble Street, T-Pot are all very good (since they're under the same franchise)

Personally I like Try Again for bubble tea because of their daily specials (basically w/e they feel like mixing in the blender)

flipstah
01-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
Bubblicious in Pacific Place mall in the NE (by the T&T).

Have heard try again ion chinatown from a bunch of people (have never gone there myself).

Originally posted by max_boost
bubblemania is like the official beyond.ca fav!

i also frequent dessert house, bubble house, try again but for late night, bubbles owns.

+1 for Dessert House & Bubblicious. There's also one in Chinatown where you have to go down because their store is in the basement. Not sure what it's called but they're good!

I should really go to Bubblemania one day! :banghead:

adam c
01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
^^that's called try again

GQBalla
01-27-2009, 06:57 PM
its called try again ^^^

Isaiah
01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by swak
Northmount + 14th St NW
'bubbles'

Ive been to many bubble tea places in Calgary, and hands down this is the best ive ever had.

The most disgusting swill I've ever ingested came from this place. I drank 3 sips and it was so revolting I had to throw the rest out. How do you screw up bubble tea? Just ask them.

Zenshi
01-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Milk Tea -> Tai Pan has good milk tea, they are located in the madison across from sun's

theken
01-28-2009, 12:44 AM
so milk tea i will assume is tea made with condensed milk? how can it differ

CKY
01-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by theken

I dunno, how can wine differ, they just ferment grapes don't they?

theken
01-28-2009, 11:03 AM
You are essentially taking a tea whatever it may be black green whatever and putting condensed milk in it. There cannot be that much variety. Wine varies by age. Type of grape additives and a whole bunch of stuff thou can't even compare the 2. You could compare it to like iced coffee Vietnamese style or something along those lines.

GQBalla
01-28-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by theken

kinda but its different tea

avow
01-28-2009, 12:12 PM
peerless is great. try APM (old banana jacks) on centre and 16th as well. they are a pretty great place to dine in at.

swak
01-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

The most disgusting swill I've ever ingested came from this place. I drank 3 sips and it was so revolting I had to throw the rest out. How do you screw up bubble tea? Just ask them.

How long ago did you go?
Because just before the summer (or beginning of last summer) the place in their spot now was owned by a diff guy. And i'll agree 100% it was disgusting.

New guy revamped the place, and has amazing bubble teas.
....or do you have ownership in Thai Tai? :dunno:

Zenshi
01-28-2009, 02:27 PM

Milk Tea Differs from the Tea and amount of condensed milk.

There are tons of way to make tea, and different types of tea.
You can mix leaves for a different flavour.

the amount of condensed milk dictates how sweet the drink will be. Some places dont even use condensed milk, and just put cream/milk in it. Usually the consumer can add sugar/honey afterwards.

So yes, a person can easily mess up Milk Tea.

clem24
01-28-2009, 03:07 PM
So exactly what happened to Dessert House? Ever since they moved across the street, the place has been DEAD. We went on Saturday night and it's usually packed to the rafters in the old location, seriously, the waitress was just standing there waiting for the ONE COUPLE sitting down.

Has everyone migrated elsewhere?

And re. the argument about tea, oh hell ya there are a gazillion different types of teas out there and they all taste very different. Most people's impression of tea is limited to Red Rose (i.e. Orange Pekoe).

GQBalla
01-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by clem24
So exactly what happened to Dessert House? Ever since they moved across the street, the place has been DEAD. We went on Saturday night and it's usually packed to the rafters in the old location, seriously, the waitress was just standing there waiting for the ONE COUPLE sitting down.

i havent been there since theyve moved.
But ive only been there a handful of times since they have been opened.

I find them too rude. like come on this isn't HK its calgary.

scboss
01-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

i havent been there since theyve moved.
But ive only been there a handful of times since they have been opened.

I find them too rude. like come on this isn't HK its calgary.

Haha its because bubblemania is so much better since the reno

GQBalla
01-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by warcaster

Haha its because bubblemania is so much better since the reno

that is true, bubblemania is actually decent, you got a lot of food options, plays decent music, good place to hang out

CKY
01-29-2009, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by clem24

And re. the argument about tea, oh hell ya there are a gazillion different types of teas out there and they all taste very different. Most people's impression of tea is limited to Red Rose (i.e. Orange Pekoe).

Well theres two reasons that should have made them dead but didn't deter people away before was:
1. shitty hours compared to bubblemania and APM
2. even shittier service

but the cherry on top imo would be the gang related fight they had in there since they moved (I think someone got stabbed right?)

adam c
01-29-2009, 08:49 AM
i haven't found a better fresh fruit strawberry other than desert house, but the service is attitude is just too stuck up for me to go there unless i'm reallllly craving it

nj2Type-S
01-29-2009, 10:13 AM
i would never go back to the dessert house ever again just cuz of the fact that they're a-holes....i don't care how good their bubbletea is.

i find myself going to bubblemania more and more nowadays.....their service is awesome and there's a wide selection of bubbletea as well as hot food.

dino_martini
01-29-2009, 06:53 PM
I like the Pearl Tea Hut in Dragon City Mall, but I'm white, so take that with a grain of salt.