PDA

View Full Version : to or not puchase extended warranty?

Boomph
11-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Hey guys my maufactures warranty is coming to an end in 2 weeks and BMW has contacted me and suggested me to extend the manfuacturers warranty.

$1,850 for 1 year
$1,950 for 2 years
$2,075 for 3 years + $100 deductable

Are extended warranties worth it? I had have the car for 3 years now and have had no problems so far

any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Edit:

Here is a list of what it covers:
https://www.coverageone.ca/mic/uwc/jsp/products_comparison.jsp
and i will be covered under the Ultimate option

Weapon_R
11-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I would go for it. BMWs are shitty cars and they tend to get expensive to own after the warranty runs out. The added warranty would probably give you peace of mind and pay for itself if you offer it when it comes time to sell.

EK 2.0
11-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Extended Warranties are HARAM!!

But that being said...I have to be inclined to agree with Weapon_R...they can be very costly to fix...but, if not used consider it as cheap insurance...

Masked Bandit
11-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Generally speaking I'm not a fan of extended warranties but on a late model BMW, I think I would have to take it. A lady here at the office just received a $4000 repair bill for odds and ends on her 2003 3 series. She was told that almost all of it would have been covered under the extended warranty if she would have purchased it when she got the car.

Boomph
11-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
But that being said...I have to be inclined to agree with Weapon_R...they can be very costly to fix...but, if not used consider it as cheap insurance...

I never thought about it that way, cheap insurance.

based onthe replies so far Im leaning more towards on extending it. I wouldnt want to be slapped with a $3000 bill for something that could be covered by an insurance that cost $700 a year

thanks guys!

EK 2.0
11-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Boomph

I never thought about it that way, cheap insurance.

Well you know, I was always in the top 3 of Extended Warranty sales in my dept when I worked at Future Shop haha...

Jynx
11-12-2008, 05:31 PM
That 3 year price seems pretty good for a high end vehicle warranty. I would def go with it. I wish my bmw had warranty when i owned it. My brother has done prob 10k worth of repairs on his x5 in the last 100 000km all through warranty :)

R!zz0
11-12-2008, 05:53 PM
They never do live up to their warranty. They always try to give you a hard time by bullshitting you that "This is not covered by the warranty"

canuckcarguy
11-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Well, the big question is, "what does the warranty cover?'. I'd want to see what they mean when they say "enhanced electrical". Is that as good as bumper to bumper?

The truth is, these cars are pretty reliable as far as engines and transmissions go, especially in the first 5-8 years. Yes, it's possible that you'll have a problem, but typically the problem areas aren't in the drivetrain.

I just had the iDrive crater on my 2004 5-series. Looks like the bill will be in the $3500 range. I've also had problems with the "learning" transmission, which required a couple reprograms to fix. Roughly $600. So far, aside from brakes, I haven't had a single repair that required the car to go on the hoist.

If you're covered for all of the niggling little BS electrical issues, I'd say go for it. If not, I wouldn't bother.

Incidentally, based on this latest bill, this will be the last BMW I own. I've had several, I love the way they drive, but the electrical reliability just isn't adequate for a car in this price range.

supe
11-12-2008, 06:01 PM
I think warranty is a very funny thing.

First they sell you on how great the car is, then after you decide to buy they have to sell you on how shitty the car is so that you can buy the warranty.

SetoJai
11-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
They never do live up to their warranty. They always try to give you a hard time by bullshitting you that "This is not covered by the warranty"

agreed. you just gotta start a little something something or talk to the service manager face to face, but it can be a pain to make them fix what is supposed to be covered under warranty and they deny it.

to the OP, i would go for it. like others have said, "for a peace of mind"

ryanallan
11-12-2008, 06:11 PM
another plus would be if you were to sell the car next year, you would have an edge over other cars without warranties.

sucks its $2000 though . . .

shin0bi
11-12-2008, 11:06 PM
On a BMW, yeah, maybe...

Anything else? Don't bother. I've never had a good experience when it comes to extended warranties. So many stipulations...

Mildly off topic: poor GTR owners.... hehe

Redlyne_mr2
11-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Coverage one is an "OK" warranty company. i find their plans to be quiet high compared to first canadian plans. It astonishes me that BMW does not have their own extended warranty plan. Manufacturer extended warranty is the best type of extended warranty thats out there because roadside assistance is almost always extended with it as well and it's good at any other franchise dealer in North America.

At the end of the day these vehicles are all man made and theyre full of so much technology that if anything fails it can be very costly and difficult to repair. Statistically speaking at the 4 year mark you have an 87% chance that something will go wrong with the car (this is an industry average).

max_boost
11-13-2008, 01:46 AM
if it's euro aka benz/bmw/audi etc. then hell yeah. if it's a honda/toyota/subuar, forget about it.

2BLUE
11-13-2008, 03:30 AM
I would buy it!!!! I have extended warranty on all my toys, car, quad, seadoo, bike, boat, My boat is in the shop right now the bill is just over $6k I paid $1200 for one year of coverage!!! Can you say worth it!!!