PDA

View Full Version : Oil Patch questions

ZJHoban
11-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Hi,

new to the board, just came across this site searching for info on google, and so far this site has given me the most information about the patch. I am wanting to give the oil patch a shot, but have no idea what direction to head. My original thought was a drilling rig, but i havnt been able to find out what a service rig does, or other field jobs that are entry level. It seems to me that service rigs have longer hours, wich would mean more money, but you dont always get days off.

I have been wondering what people do in the off season, when there is not as much work, do you get EI if you are not working. I am a carpentry apprentice right now, and figured 6 months carpentry 6 months rigs would be a good split, and be able to work towards 2 tickets at once.

I have been reading thread upon thread on this site, some being 24 pages long and what not, and i seem to finish reading a thread coming out with more questions than answers hehe.

My education only goes as far as high school. I have a valid DL but it is under the BC GDL program, and i do not have a clean abstract. I dont have h2s but i am taking it on the 22nd.

Op Asst - Frac/Acid <--- what kind of pay and what do they do exactly (vague job description)

any advice appreciated.

Supa Dexta
11-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Read this thread:

http://www.reality-check.ca/showthread.php?p=1780358#post1780358

It's 100 pages long now though, so maybe start at the end and work backwards for current info... But it's all in there.

johnboy27
11-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Read this thread:

http://www.reality-check.ca/showthread.php?p=1780358#post1780358

It's 100 pages long now though, so maybe start at the end and work backwards for current info... But it's all in there.
Took the words out of my mouth. Beyond probably has the least info on oil patch careers.LOL

fourlug
11-21-2008, 03:11 PM
There's also one on bcsportbikes.com, in the OT section... its about 30 pages long.

Everyone over at reality-check are alberta mexicans (east coast guys).

Big difference between drilling and service, drilling pays your living and service doesn't.

SJW
11-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Oh and everyone is a dick to you when you are first starting out.

Hell i've been in the patch for 10 years and everyone is still a dick.

johnboy27
11-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by fourlug
There's also one on bcsportbikes.com, in the OT section... its about 30 pages long.

Everyone over at reality-check are alberta mexicans (east coast guys).

Big difference between drilling and service, drilling pays your living and service doesn't.
If it wasn't for the " alberta mexicans" nothing would get done in this province. Those guys are more than willing to give any information needed as long as you read the thread first, that's how we mexicans are.