PDA

View Full Version : Rear ended

97'Scort
11-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Heading out to meet some family today and I get rear-ended by a woman (about 45-ish) in a mid '90's Firebird. We pull over and even before I get out of my car, she's at the back trying to rub the paint off my bumper! I hop out and tell her to stop, but she doesn't and proceeds to rip off my tow hook cover and throw it on my trunk.

She starts going off on me that I was trying to change lanes in an intersection, which is bullshit, because I was stopped at the light when she hit me. She starts going on about how I'm going to get charged and blah blah blah. Also, she's in a hurry so she gives me her driver's license number, her name and her plate number, but then peels off before I can get insurance info.

So I immediately call the cops, and head down to the station to give a statement. Thankfully all the info she gave me matched up (the car turns out to be registered to her dad, not her). Cop takes one look at my statement and my car and says I'm good to go, call ICBC and get a claim in since it's clearly not my fault. Got his name and the case number all set up.

Bumper's in not terrible shape, but it will need to be replaced. Busted off a few of the clips near the wheel wells, plus it's dented pretty good. I'll have to take it off to see if there's any damage underneath, but I'm hopeful. She wasn't going very fast when she hit me.

I just didn't need that today...:banghead:

BigWill
11-13-2008, 01:09 AM
rear ended hey? did you like it? jks

97'Scort
11-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Even if you did, so what? It's not illegal. Mess with her head that way and let her think she's in the right :rofl:
I thought it was illegal to change lanes in an intersection, or maybe it's just good etiquette?

Regardless, I wasn't doing that, so it's a moot point :) I might have been inclined to go a little easier on her if she wasn't such a complete bitch about it. Instead, it's police report and insurance all the way. Now I have to find a new bumper.

Senseiz
11-13-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
...a woman (about 45-ish) in a mid '90's Firebird.

...the car turns out to be registered to her dad, not her..

I hope it was husband... 40ish year old lady driving her dad's car.

Sorry to hear that though. Do you have any pictures?

97'Scort
11-13-2008, 01:29 AM
No, it was her dad.

I have some pictures but nothing yet with the full extent of the damage. I'll try and snap some with the bumper off.

shin0bi
11-13-2008, 02:26 AM
Lame. Gotta love the bitch's response to the fact that clearly she was too retarded to drive.
Probably distracted by a text message or something shiny... Rear enders are easy to avoid if road conditions are good, because it all comes down to how much attention is being paid.

She'll be buying you a new bumper... maybe that'll teach her.

I still maintain that along with driver's test, there should be mandatory IQ tests... jeez

97'Scort
11-13-2008, 02:34 AM
It was raining, but if you can't drive in the rain here, you're doomed. It was not slippery, just damp.

Kennyredline
11-13-2008, 08:56 AM
When you find her, punch her in the face.:thumbsup:

em2ab
11-13-2008, 10:59 AM
It's illegal to change lanes in an intersection. My horn is nearly dead from trying to teach people this.......that and coming to a complete stop when turning right on a red light.

+1 for the IQ tests for a driver's license.

rusich
11-13-2008, 11:09 AM
I think it's not a good idea to teach any driver by the means of a horn. All it does, is it creates road rage. We have CPS who have the authority to do that.

Ashers
11-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Yeah, some of those Vancouver Islanders are a real work of art. She must have been from Chemainus or Salt Spring Island to be that crazy though. Don't worry though, ICBC are really good, I have never had to fight with them. I grew up in Mill Bay, about 40 minutes north of Victoria (just the other side of the Malahat).

Mibz
11-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by em2ab
It's illegal to change lanes in an intersection. Not in the Alberta Highway Traffic Act it isn't. The only time it would be considered illegal is if it could be determined that the lane change was unsafe. If you change lanes in an intersection with nobody around, you have not done anything wrong.

Unless I missed something... Search for "Rules for traffic lanes" to get to the right section.
http://www.canlii.org/ab/laws/sta/h-8/20030217/whole.html
Here are the relevant sections I found.

(2) Before driving from one traffic lane into another, or from a
curb lane or a parking lane into a traffic lane, a driver
(a) shall signal that driver's intention to do so in the manner
prescribed by the regulations, and
(b) shall give the signal in sufficient time to provide a
reasonable warning to other persons of that driver's
intentions.

(4) Notwithstanding anything in this section, a driver shall not
(a) drive from one traffic lane to another,
(b) cross a solid or broken line,
(c) drive from a curb lane into a traffic lane, or
(d) drive from a parking lane into a traffic lane
when the movement cannot be made in safety.

If I did miss something, then sorry.

Kennyredline
11-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Not in the Alberta Highway Traffic Act it isn't. The only time it would be considered illegal is if it could be determined that the lane change was unsafe. If you change lanes in an intersection with nobody around, you have not done anything wrong.

Unless I missed something... Search for "Rules for traffic lanes" to get to the right section.
http://www.canlii.org/ab/laws/sta/h-8/20030217/whole.html
Here are the relevant sections I found.

If I did miss something, then sorry.

Don't forget the OP is from B.C.

Kloubek
11-13-2008, 01:29 PM
I think it's pretty common for someone who fucked up to try to blame it on the innocent driver. Sorry to hear this happened OP, but I'm sure you'll be ok in the end. It's VERY difficult to prove innocence when you rear end someone.

97'Scort
11-13-2008, 01:32 PM
It's all sorting itself out...the cop has indicated she's clearly in the wrong, and I was nothing but "yes, sir, no sir" and polite when I gave my report. I'm guessing she wasn't so nice when she got her call, since he's siding with me.

ICBC has okayed my claim and I'm free to pick any body shop I'd like. Looking for a good one now :)

Proyecto2000
11-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I think it's pretty common for someone who fucked up to try to blame it on the innocent driver.

That is so true, I was rearended by a guy back in the summer and as he comes out of his car he yells, "why did you stop all of a sudden?" I ask him if he is blind and stupid, as I point to the RED light and the 5 cars that where stopped ahead of me. :rofl:

Mibz
11-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline
Don't forget the OP is from B.C. And this is why I always assume I -am- missing something. Thanks ;)

QuasarCav
11-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
It's all sorting itself out...the cop has indicated she's clearly in the wrong, and I was nothing but "yes, sir, no sir" and polite when I gave my report. I'm guessing she wasn't so nice when she got her call, since he's siding with me.

ICBC has okayed my claim and I'm free to pick any body shop I'd like. Looking for a good one now :)

He is siding with you because you were rear ended, not because you were polite.

blacklabel
11-13-2008, 06:14 PM
what a crazy bitch!! God thing she will be paying in full. I'd recommend getting looked at by a physio therapist!! I just got rear eneded and didn't think I was that hurt. I got it checked out and my back/neck was pretty fucked, i've got to go to 25 sessions and everything will be normal again.

97'Scort
11-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Politeness never hurts :) If there was any doubt in his mind, that might be enough to push him my way if anything came up.

Got it into a shop today. Looks like I won't be getting a new bumper, but this one can be fixed and painted (although I'm going to call ICBC and see if I can't persuade them). The trunk latch was damaged and the trunk doesn't line up properly on one side...no clue why, everything else seems good. So, new trunk lid instead.

97'Scort
11-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by blacklabel
what a crazy bitch!! God thing she will be paying in full. I'd recommend getting looked at by a physio therapist!! I just got rear eneded and didn't think I was that hurt. I got it checked out and my back/neck was pretty fucked, i've got to go to 25 sessions and everything will be normal again.

She was only doing about 10 km/hr when she hit me. I'm fine: just because I have a bimmer doesn't mean I'm a douchebag ALL the time.:devil: