PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy salmon...

LegendRacer
11-13-2008, 01:13 AM
This may sound like a newb question, but im still ganna ask it..

Ive always wondered if the salmon bought from retail stores such as costco were safe to eat raw? Is it ok to eat raw after being frozen?

Question being, the fish bought at a retail store is technically not meant for "sushi", which is why it concerns me a little

any input to where to buy nice and fresh salmon that is safe to eat raw, please post :D

1Chin3seBoi
11-13-2008, 01:14 AM
tnt:poosie:

dannie
11-13-2008, 01:19 AM
It has to do with parasite destruction. It has something to do with freezing the salmon at a certain degree for a certain amount of time. North Sea Fish Market has sushi grade fish sometimes, give them a call and check before you go in though.

Edit: I found the quote I was looking for:

Parasite destruction guarantee, which is accomplished by 'freezing and storing seafood at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours' which is sufficient to kill parasites

LegendRacer
11-13-2008, 02:09 AM
thanks for that lil parasite information, next question is where is a good source for fresh salmon that is great for sushi?:D

del-lude
11-13-2008, 02:14 AM
City Fish sells sushi grade salmon but you have to order a day in advance.

1Chin3seBoi
11-13-2008, 02:29 AM
tnt
hahaha:nut:

chengj
11-13-2008, 08:56 AM
There's a good seafood store in Willowpark.

A good fish monger should be able to explain all of the above to you.

n1zm0
11-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by 1Chin3seBoi
tnt:poosie:

yup T&T for sures, we have always bought a whole slab of salmon, cut it up serve with wasabi/soy sauce = sashimi. and yes my GF has frozen it and pulled it out a week later and its still just as great. it's seriously just like the fatty salmon sushi you get at any sushi place.

i can't count how many times i've had that and a bowl of steaming hot rice for dinner :drool: i just dont have the patience to roll up glutinous rice lol

Idratherbsidewayz
11-13-2008, 09:41 AM
Try these guys. They've always had super fresh fish.

Billingsgate
630 7th Ave. SE
Calgary, Alberta
T2G 0J7

(403) 269-3474

ExtraSlow
11-13-2008, 09:50 AM
I don't think billingsgate is at that location anymore.

LegendRacer
11-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Wow sweet input guys, i gotta check out tnt since its the closest suggested place so far...

Amysicle
11-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
Try these guys. They've always had super fresh fish.

Billingsgate
630 7th Ave. SE
Calgary, Alberta
T2G 0J7

(403) 269-3474 The poster under you is correct. Their new location is Billingsgate Seafood Market has moved to our new location Stadium Shopping Center(16th Ave and 29th St N.W.)

chengj
11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by LegendRacer
Wow sweet input guys, i gotta check out tnt since its the closest suggested place so far...

Not to say TnT is necessarily bad (I do most of my shopping there), but if I'm looking for fresh, sushi grade fish, I'd probably check one of the other locations first.

Artega
11-13-2008, 02:18 PM
I've always had costco salmon raw
superstore salmon are ok too
I don't freeze them, I find that takes aways from the taste and almost certain to get an upset stomach afterwards.
This doesn't happen when i buy it from the store, bring it home and eat it right the way.

Never had any problems with Superstore salmon.

city fish is where all the restaurants get their seafood from, so that's a good bet.

Penis McNickels
11-13-2008, 03:37 PM
We also do the Superstore salmon fairly often and have never gotten the runs or any bad reactions so far.

nonlinear
11-13-2008, 08:24 PM
first off, i want to point out that the best sushi places in the world never sell 'fresh' sushi. it has to be flash frozen first in order to kill and parasites like tapeworms that might be in the muscle.

second of all, most frozen sushi is sold by a few very large distributors instead of a ton of small independent fisherman trying to sell stuff to landlocked restuarants via airlines. therefore, the frozen sushi you find at TNT will be about the same quality as you will find at a fish market that also sells frozen sushi.

there is a locked sushi cooler at TNT that has the sushi you are looking for. don't worry that it's from TNT, it's the same stuff.