PDA

View Full Version : 2009 wrx265 vs 2008/09 STI

SilverRex
11-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Is there much to talk about anyways?
Has this topic been discussed or beaten to death?

after following thru plenty of post on iclub and nasioc here is a quick glance of some of the numbers I found posted.

wrxs265
stock + SPT Catback
230 whp
238 wtq

08+ STI (accodring to HM)
230 whp
240 wtq

08+ STI with HM turboback
236 whp
243 wtq

08+ STI (3 week old dyno from another post)
225 whp
235 wtq

STAGE 2 comparison

wrx 265 (stage 2 tune with SPT exhust and downpipe on 92 (dyno))
281 whp
317 wtq

08 STI (stage 2 protune with HM turboback on 91 (dyno))
269 whp
297 wtq

though HM suggested their protune stage 2 should be
(91 octane)
270 whp
300 wtq
(93 octane)
280 whp
310 wtq

now from these results you can only have to say that the current 2009 wrx265 is indeed underrated. Not only that, the 265 probablly output wise is the same as the current STI. Unfortunately Subaru probably did this in hopes that it will not cut into STI sales which I think it already has.

the STI is still worth every penny you pay for and if you put both cars on the track, you will see the difference. But for STI owners, it sure feels like a kick in the face until Subaru comes out with a better and higher power STI. From one article hinted the release of the new wrx numbers it also mention the STI in 2010 will get a very small bump in hp/tq. Still, Until the STI gets at least 350hp/375 tq increase, the STI will continue to be bullied and crushed by all media.

I know the question is not if Subaru will update its STI performence, but is when they will do it. And for my own record, as long as they do it in 2011-2012. I will be happy. The last thing I want is to have the same feeling as the 08 wrx owners when the 09 came out.

hampstor
11-13-2008, 09:43 AM
The STI is $5000 more then the WRX265 - uglyness aside, for the money, I still think the hardware that comes with the STI is worth it.

Eleanor
11-13-2008, 10:16 AM
So out of all you posted, where's the stats about going around corners? ;)

If all you're looking at is power, get a 5.0 Mustang :dunno:

rc2002
11-13-2008, 10:34 AM
So what if the power is comparable? The STI has HID, widebody, different suspension, and a bunch of other goodies and that makes up for the price difference.

Mibz
11-13-2008, 11:33 AM
I'd pay $5000 just for the extra gear.

heavyD
11-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
So what if the power is comparable? The STI has HID, widebody, different suspension, and a bunch of other goodies and that makes up for the price difference.

Yeah without the fender flares of the STI the WRX looks pretty econobox and boring and you don't get the better brakes, suspension, HID's, 6-speed, etc. Do your homework though as at least nine people on NASIOC have purchased 09's and had the engines fail in less than 2000 miles. Subaru changed manufacturing processes to cut costs on 08's which led to the stop sell/recall on some 08 2.5 turbos in the WRX and Legacy GT's. It appears there are still some issues with the 09's. It's something to do with bearings.

SilverRex
11-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Yeah without the fender flares of the STI the WRX looks pretty econobox and boring and you don't get the better brakes, suspension, HID's, 6-speed, etc. Do your homework though as at least nine people on NASIOC have purchased 09's and had the engines fail in less than 2000 miles. Subaru changed manufacturing processes to cut costs on 08's which led to the stop sell/recall on some 08 2.5 turbos in the WRX and Legacy GT's. It appears there are still some issues with the 09's. It's something to do with bearings.

you said the 9 ppl who puchased 09, are these the 09 wrx265 or STI or both variants?

SilverRex
11-13-2008, 11:59 AM

Yes, and I completely love the STI and its offering, I need no convincing of what the STI is worth, this comparison is mainly to show how far the wrx has came to be.

And this with type of straight line performence, it has once again became a symbol of AWD performence at an affordable price.

At calgary's altitude, the wrx can keep up just about any car day to day. Of course on a track it may be a different story.

max_boost
11-13-2008, 06:01 PM
yeah i would pay $5k for all the extra stuff on the STi too. but no doubt the lease/finance rates would play into my decision. i'm sure the rates are much lower on the wrx265 than STi :D

btw, how's your new ride? break it in yet? :burnout:

heavyD
11-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

you said the 9 ppl who puchased 09, are these the 09 wrx265 or STI or both variants?

The STI had some ring land issues in 08 but that was due to a bad factory tune and some issues with 2nd gear popping out (requires complete new transmission as per Car & Driver; http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/car_shopping/long_term_road_tests/2008_subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_long_term_road_test_update. The Bearing issues have affected WRX, Legacy, Outback (basically any Subaru with the 2.5 turbo excluding the STI).

RY213
11-14-2008, 08:22 AM
I own an 08 WRX, and I was hella pissed when they announced the 09's stats. I have a CBE and ill get an access port eventually so similar HP/TQ isnt that hard to achieve. The STI's are sick though, and are definitely worth the extra $$$. They have DCCD, Brembos, SI Drive etc...

benyl
11-14-2008, 09:56 AM

I know the question is not if Subaru will update its STI performence, but is when they will do it. And for my own record, as long as they do it in 2011-2012. I will be happy. The last thing I want is to have the same feeling as the 08 wrx owners when the 09 came out.

Subaru has the habit of making some big changes every two years. The STI is due for something major.

I am waiting for a DSG gearbox.

HiTempguy1
11-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Subaru has the habit of making some big changes every two years. The STI is due for something major.

I am waiting for a DSG gearbox.

As long as they offer a 6 speed manual alongside the DSG that would be cool with me. Subaru seems to be a smart company though that understands about catering to their base.

Sorath
11-14-2008, 12:53 PM
sti handles better than the wrx...

rc2002
11-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
sti handles better than the wrx...

The new STI has terrible body roll. And it's either put on some weight or has some super drivetrain loss because it's very sluggish too.

I was scared to push it around corners when I test drove one - it's supposed to hold decent lateral G's but with all the body roll it's tough to know where the limit is. Steering felt quite disconnected and I expected more from the Brembos.

I would hold off on buying one until I see what changes Subaru has in store for the STI. I was quite disappointed with this year's offerings.

benyl
11-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Yup. So was Car and Driver.

Subaru went the same way BMW did with the M3. They just took it too far. They should have gone the same way as the C63.

The STI is no longer the boy racer. They are trying to attract a more mature audience.

94boosted
11-14-2008, 02:39 PM

The new STI has terrible body roll. And it's either put on some weight or has some super drivetrain loss because it's very sluggish too.

I was scared to push it around corners when I test drove one - it's supposed to hold decent lateral G's but with all the body roll it's tough to know where the limit is. Steering felt quite disconnected and I expected more from the Brembos.

I would hold off on buying one until I see what changes Subaru has in store for the STI. I was quite disappointed with this year's offerings.

But body roll can be alleviated if not completely cured for around $750. Thicker sway bars, strut tower braces and some stiffer springs. :dunno:

GTS Jeff
11-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

But body roll can be alleviated if not completely cured for around $750. Thicker sway bars, strut tower braces and some stiffer springs. :dunno: Yeah, but a properly engineered car shouldn't need that shit from the factory. The whole point of buying a car with a big wing and a big hood scoop is that it's supposed to be awesome right out of the factory.

And by the way, $750 for all the parts you listed would get you some pretty shitty gear. Not to mention that stiffer springs shouldn't be paired with the stock shocks, and stiffer sway bars have inherent disadvantages as well. And strut tower bars do nothing for body roll, and on with a chassis as stiff as the STI's, it wouldn't help much of anything else either.

See, people like you are why people like richardchan thinks that modding is ghetto - because you people always use cheap ass parts and never seem to do it properly.

heavyD
11-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by benyl
The STI is no longer the boy racer. They are trying to attract a more mature audience.

Yeah but when they were boy racer people poo-poo'ed them for being boy racer. Now that Subaru (and Mitsubishi to a lesser extent) have softened the cars up a bit all the fanboys are in an uproar. You really can't win but the key is to know your audience and play to them. Really how many BMW owners are going to be swayed to get an STI or EVO X?

subydood
11-16-2008, 11:22 PM
I test drove a wrx back in 2002, back then I thought it pulled less than my Eagle Talon Tsi, evend though it had some odd 30 more horsepower. Last week I test drove a 08 or 09 (not sure) Wrx 265 and I was really amazed at how much it pulled in 1,2,3rd gear, then after 100km/h it kind of became normal. Amazing what more or less 40 hp can do to a car.
Imo the interior is nice, but the exterior does'nt do it for me.. the hatchback is the nicest I think over the sedan but we're far from the Gc chassis :cry:

94boosted
11-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Yeah, but a properly engineered car shouldn't need that shit from the factory. The whole point of buying a car with a big wing and a big hood scoop is that it's supposed to be awesome right out of the factory.

And by the way, $750 for all the parts you listed would get you some pretty shitty gear. Not to mention that stiffer springs shouldn't be paired with the stock shocks, and stiffer sway bars have inherent disadvantages as well. And strut tower bars do nothing for body roll, and on with a chassis as stiff as the STI's, it wouldn't help much of anything else either.

See, people like you are why people like richardchan thinks that modding is ghetto - because you people always use cheap ass parts and never seem to do it properly.

Well here's were your wrong because a good reliable company like Cobb Tuning (who does not sell cheap shitty stuff) will sell you a F+R sway bar set for about $495 and their sport springs will run you about $250. As for the Strut Tower bar your right the STi does have a stiff chassis from the factory but it wouldn't hurt to stiffen it up a tiny bit more at the top which is why I figured that you can cheap out a bit with the Strut Tower Bars and get e-bay ones or don't get them at all (probably wouldn't make that big of a difference).

F+R Sway Bars
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=4129

Sport Springs
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=4211

rc2002
11-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Yeah, but a properly engineered car shouldn't need that shit from the factory. The whole point of buying a car with a big wing and a big hood scoop is that it's supposed to be awesome right out of the factory.

Bingo!

Well here's were your wrong because a good reliable company like Cobb Tuning (who does not sell cheap shitty stuff) will sell you a F+R sway bar set for about $495 and their sport springs will run you about $250. As for the Strut Tower bar your right the STi does have a stiff chassis from the factory but it wouldn't hurt to stiffen it up a tiny bit more at the top which is why I figured that you can cheap out a bit with the Strut Tower Bars and get e-bay ones or don't get them at all (probably wouldn't make that big of a difference).

F+R Sway Bars
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=4129

Sport Springs
http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=4211

You're missing the whole point. When you spend that kind of money on a Subaru performance flagship, you shouldn't have to add anything to it.

Plus (as Jeff already mentioned), installing springs will reduce body roll but without properly matched dampers it'll cause other problems. Aftermarket sway bars with shitty mounting hardware and poly bushings aren't my idea of an upgrade either. It's just added stresses that the sub frame and/or other suspension components aren't designed to handle.

94boosted
11-17-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm not trying to argue the fact that the new STi's do understeer worse than the older ones and they also have more body role. And I absolutely agree that this being Subaru's most hard core car it really should handle better and corner flatter. But if you love the STi, the power it makes, it's AWD system,brakes ......(Like me) and you really want one there are relatively in-expensive ways to make the car handle better. Just my 2 cents.

heavyD
11-17-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm not trying to argue the fact that the new STi's do understeer worse than the older ones and they also have more body role. And I absolutely agree that this being Subaru's most hard core car it really should handle better and corner flatter. But if you love the STi, the power it makes, it's AWD system,brakes ......(Like me) and you really want one there are relatively in-expensive ways to make the car handle better. Just my 2 cents.

Or you could buy a car that has superior handling & a better engine right out of the box in the EVO X.

HiTempguy1
11-17-2008, 10:19 PM

Or you could buy a car that has superior handling & a better engine right out of the box in the EVO X.

This is the point where I'd go "nigga what?!" in that PSP squirrel voice.

Are you comparing a 2009 STi to a 2009 EVO X and saying it gets owned? You can't even get an '09 STi yet can you?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/05/evo-x-vs-sti-tsukuba-lap-times/

rc2002
11-17-2008, 11:29 PM

Subaru AWD is a good system - I'll give you that. But I don't understand why anybody would buy the STI for power or brakes. 305HP sounds impressive on paper but the delivery has lag and it feels very reluctant to rev up. I found it a real chore to brake too. 50% brake travel and you're barely slowing down. If you test it back to back with any 3 series BMW or an S2000 it will become immediately clear what a good braking system should feel like.

As far as "upgrading" with inexpensive parts... They're inexpensive for a reason. There's hardly any R&D that goes into making a sway bar or lowering spring when compared to the OEM counterparts. Why do you think aftermarket parts are always marked with "offroad use only"? It's because the parts are inferior and increase the likelihood of related components failing, thereby causing injury or damage.

In the end you shouldn't have to rig up a car with inferior parts in an attempt to try and patch up Subaru's shortcomings.

Better tranny too. :)

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

You can't even get an '09 STi yet can you?

You could've got them months ago. The 2008's were being blown out at the end of summer.

That.Guy.S30
11-17-2008, 11:59 PM

Are you comparing a 2009 STi to a 2009 EVO X and saying it gets owned? You can't even get an '09 STi yet can you?

as much as a 6star fanboy as i am. the tsukuba track always favors the subaru. so that doesnt really prove anything. all the jdm subarus will get spanked by the jdm evo equivalent. cept the spec C on other tracks.

and yes the 09's are out. they have been out for awhile now.

94boosted
11-18-2008, 01:56 AM

Subaru AWD is a good system - I'll give you that. But I don't understand why anybody would buy the STI for power or brakes. 305HP sounds impressive on paper but the delivery has lag and it feels very reluctant to rev up. I found it a real chore to brake too. 50% brake travel and you're barely slowing down. If you test it back to back with any 3 series BMW or an S2000 it will become immediately clear what a good braking system should feel like.

As far as "upgrading" with inexpensive parts... They're inexpensive for a reason. There's hardly any R&D that goes into making a sway bar or lowering spring when compared to the OEM counterparts. Why do you think aftermarket parts are always marked with "offroad use only"? It's because the parts are inferior and increase the likelihood of related components failing, thereby causing injury or damage.

In the end you shouldn't have to rig up a car with inferior parts in an attempt to try and patch up Subaru's shortcomings.

I have never had the chance to drive an 08 or 09 STi but I did get to drive an 05 and assuming that alot of the components are pretty much carried over and tweaked I assumed the 08/09 felt the same power/braking wise. A four door sedan that can go 0-100km/h in under 5 seconds and back down to zero in 116 feet is very impressive especially considering it's under 50K price.

And now that the new STi is priced just under 40K the shear bang for the buck out of the car is very impressive.

I agree that you shouldn't have to rig up the car to fix their short comings but it is possible if you are un-happy with the cars handling to spruce it up a bit.

Almost all aftermarket modifications could be argued to have some sort of negative effect on the other OEM components in the long run. But us all being car enthusiasts are happy with the parts if they increase power or improve handling.

Aleks
11-18-2008, 07:55 AM
EVO X lease rate is 11.95% :eek:

Does that mean they don't want their product back?

heavyD
11-18-2008, 08:21 AM

09's are the same as 08's and alot of cars own the STI, not just the EVO X:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_cars/the_lightning_lap_2008_feature

heavyD
11-18-2008, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
EVO X lease rate is 11.95% :eek:

Does that mean they don't want their product back?

0% financing on 08's.:dunno: Manufactureres are getting out of the lease business.

HiTempguy1
11-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Thank you for the clarification, I thought that since the WRX had been slightly revamped that the STi might have got a few more things done to it. I had not read anything on it lately so I didn't know. It was just suprising to hear! Andrew Comrie Picard will be running his just finished Evo X open class rally car at Tall Pines. Hopefully he won't blow up as many motors as he did with his evo 9 :rolleyes: , and hopefully it proves a bit more succesful :D

rc2002
11-18-2008, 10:11 AM

I have never had the chance to drive an 08 or 09 STi but I did get to drive an 05 and assuming that alot of the components are pretty much carried over and tweaked I assumed the 08/09 felt the same power/braking wise. A four door sedan that can go 0-100km/h in under 5 seconds and back down to zero in 116 feet is very impressive especially considering it's under 50K price.

And now that the new STi is priced just under 40K the shear bang for the buck out of the car is very impressive.

I agree that you shouldn't have to rig up the car to fix their short comings but it is possible if you are un-happy with the cars handling to spruce it up a bit.

Almost all aftermarket modifications could be argued to have some sort of negative effect on the other OEM components in the long run. But us all being car enthusiasts are happy with the parts if they increase power or improve handling.

I made the same assumption as you. But if you test drive a new STI you'll see that it's not valid. This is the first generation where the STI has worse performance than it's predecessor.

Bang for the buck is great on paper, and I find the new styling to be quite appealing. But that's as far as it goes. I would not be happy with an 08/09 as a daily driver.

I consider myself an enthusiast too, but if I was unhappy with a car I would sell it and buy more car out of the box rather than try to remedy it with aftermarket parts that could compromise reliability. Ghetto mods should be saved for cheap project cars, not brand new performance vehicles.

94boosted
11-18-2008, 02:23 PM

I made the same assumption as you. But if you test drive a new STI you'll see that it's not valid. This is the first generation where the STI has worse performance than it's predecessor.

Bang for the buck is great on paper, and I find the new styling to be quite appealing. But that's as far as it goes. I would not be happy with an 08/09 as a daily driver.

I consider myself an enthusiast too, but if I was unhappy with a car I would sell it and buy more car out of the box rather than try to remedy it with aftermarket parts that could compromise reliability. Ghetto mods should be saved for cheap project cars, not brand new performance vehicles.

Agreed

So just out of curiosity what would you pick for a "spirited" daily driver that will deliver for under 50K?

max_boost
11-18-2008, 02:33 PM
^^^

EvoX or 335?

Aleks
11-18-2008, 03:01 PM

Agreed

So just out of curiosity what would you pick for a "spirited" daily driver that will deliver for under 50K?

VW GTI
Honda Civic Si
Mini JCW
Chevy Cobalt SS/TC
WRX 265
EVO X GSR
BMW 335i
BMW 135i

94boosted
11-18-2008, 04:32 PM

VW GTI
Honda Civic Si
Mini JCW
Chevy Cobalt SS/TC
WRX 265
EVO X GSR
BMW 335i
BMW 135i

VW GTI - too slow (no offence)
Honda Civic Si - too slow
Mini JCW - too slow
Chevy Cobalt SS/TC - GM's going bankrupt lol
WRX 265 - For an extra 6K worth it to step up to an STi
EVO X GSR - Only car that is comparable IMO
BMW 335i - To Pricey
BMW 135i - Possible but not quite as hard core

rc2002
11-18-2008, 04:56 PM
^ If anything, the 135i is more hardcore than the 335i.

If I had $50k and was going to buy a brand new car it would be either the 335i or the Cobalt SS.

The 335i base price is $49k and BMW is blowing out the 08s so it could very well fit within a $50k budget. Considering the STI with tech package is already $45k, there's not a huge price difference.

Contrary to the sensational headlines GM is not going under anytime soon because the government won't let it - the job losses from the supporting industries would be enormous. The Cobalt SS would truly be the best bang for the buck if you're looking for a quick car.

The 370Z, G37, Evo are all viable options too.

If a person truly wanted best bang for the buck, they would buy a slightly used car. It would put cars like the S5 and C4S and E63 within reach.

rc2002
11-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Just checked the BMW website. They're currently offering 1% financing AND $4990 off MSRP from the 2008 335i.

The "too pricey" argument doesn't work for that car.

94boosted
11-18-2008, 06:37 PM

If I had $50k and was going to buy a brand new car it would be either the 335i or the Cobalt SS.

The 335i base price is $49k and BMW is blowing out the 08s so it could very well fit within a $50k budget. Considering the STI with tech package is already $45k, there's not a huge price difference.

Contrary to the sensational headlines GM is not going under anytime soon because the government won't let it - the job losses from the supporting industries would be enormous. The Cobalt SS would truly be the best bang for the buck if you're looking for a quick car.

The 370Z, G37, Evo are all viable options too.

If a person truly wanted best bang for the buck, they would buy a slightly used car. It would put cars like the S5 and C4S and E63 within reach.

My comment on the 135i not being as hard core was in comparisson to the STi and not the 335i.

One might also consider the Mazdaspeed 3 as a viable option.

I had no idea that the incentives were that good on the 335is thats pretty dam good actually.

And I totally agree on going used if you want best bang for the buck, personally when I get my degree next year I am most definately going to be picking up and 05-07 STi a EVO IX or perhaps an 03-04 C32 AMG

Aleks
11-18-2008, 07:30 PM

VW GTI - too slow (no offence)
Honda Civic Si - too slow
Mini JCW - too slow
Chevy Cobalt SS/TC - GM's going bankrupt lol
WRX 265 - For an extra 6K worth it to step up to an STi
EVO X GSR - Only car that is comparable IMO
BMW 335i - To Pricey
BMW 135i - Possible but not quite as hard core

No offence taken. The new GTI is not that fast but it's not slow either. Easy to get it to run as quick as an MS3 or a stock 335i. Also lot more fun than the older gens.

SI, same thing. Slow but pretty fun to drive once you spend some time in it. etc.

Just checked the BMW website. They're currently offering 1% financing AND $4990 off MSRP from the 2008 335i.

The "too pricey" argument doesn't work for that car.

The 3 they have left at CBMW can be had for $8-10K off MSRP and 1% :D If only this was available a year ago :banghead:

max_boost
11-18-2008, 07:37 PM
did you inquire about them Aleks? sedan/coupe? options?

i really shouldn't but it just seems like such a killer deal lol

Aleks
11-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
did you inquire about them Aleks? sedan/coupe? options?

i really shouldn't but it just seems like such a killer deal lol

They had 3 sedans left. One of them was a Dinan 3. Comes with chip, suspension, exhaust, auto, sport premium. 10K off. Silver. Incredible deals. I was there on saturday. Took a lot of restraint not to go for it.

rc2002
11-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Holy crap! I might have to go down and check it out. Hopefully I beat max_boost down there. LOL.

GTS Jeff
11-18-2008, 10:28 PM

They had 3 sedans left. One of them was a Dinan 3. Comes with chip, suspension, exhaust, auto, sport premium. 10K off. Silver. Incredible deals. I was there on saturday. Took a lot of restraint not to go for it. The Dinan 335 has a deposit on it.

Team_Mclaren
11-18-2008, 10:36 PM
The Dinan 335 has a deposit on it.

i wonder which douchbag put a deposit on it...

GTS Jeff
11-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

i wonder which douchbag put a deposit on it... He must be lookin for some pussy with a Bimmer!!

Aleks
11-18-2008, 11:11 PM
I think the deposit was placed on a normal 335i and a Dinan chip was added. The one with the chip, exhaust and suspension is still available AFAIK. (It has 2K kms+ on it)

If anyone ever wanted a 335i now is the time to go get one.

gpomp
11-18-2008, 11:33 PM
who would buy a dinan 335 demo that has been beat on?

HiSpec
11-19-2008, 04:08 PM
If only Subaru North America would apply the STi trim on their other cars. Forester STi and Legacy STi would sell quite well I believe.

SilverRex
11-20-2008, 08:29 AM

most 335i are at least in the 55k range and easily can be top pass 60k brand new. so even if they had the 10k off it would still be put back to 45k,

and who in the world will buy the 46k STI? the loaded STI or should I say the extra 6k you pay for navi, moonroof and bbs wheels are all worthless if you want the compare fairly then load up the 335i including navi. I rather buy my own aftermarket navi and the bbs wheel is way over priced and IMO I dont like it. so you have to look at the base STI which is 39,995 oh and not to mention you can easily get it less than that and with the shit encomoy who knows what 5k or 7k off deals are around (look at the US the 2008 STI 7k off MSRP 0% finance)

tell me what can you get for 500 a month all in 0 down beside the colbalt SS which I think is crap no matter how good it does . also that is track ready and has 300hp to boot? nothing.

the lower priced based model STI trim is a God given gift to man kind. where as years ago it does not even come with navi. This move is simply subaru's way to get into a more affordable price bracket. the STI use be easily in the high 4 or 50k mark, now my brother and I got one in the 3s. and the equipment you get now IMO is way better than the 04-07 STI, yes its softer because subaru wants to make it wider audience appeal, but if you read every single comparison out there in the world, you will see not every review is negative, there is actually plenty of comparison showing it is better than the out going model.

Oh and please save the argument that everyone is disappointed in the new STI, because for some reason I am extremely happy with it. And really when it comes down to it, that is all it matters:D

jdmXSI
11-20-2008, 11:00 AM

I was chatting with one of the Subaru rep's and he was saying that we shouldn't expect any major changes with in the Subaru line up in next couple of years. With the down turn in the economy Subaru wants to focus more on whats working for them right now. There was no denying of an updated STi though:thumbsup: which is exciting! Most likely a few years away though...

rc2002
11-20-2008, 11:49 AM
most 335i are at least in the 55k range and easily can be top pass 60k brand new. so even if they had the 10k off it would still be put back to 45k,

and who in the world will buy the 46k STI? the loaded STI or should I say the extra 6k you pay for navi, moonroof and bbs wheels are all worthless if you want the compare fairly then load up the 335i including navi. I rather buy my own aftermarket navi and the bbs wheel is way over priced and IMO I dont like it.

tell me what can you get for 500 a month all in 0 down beside the colbalt SS which I think is crap no matter how good it does . also that is track ready and has 300hp to boot? nothing.

Actually they do have $8k to $10k off right now. They also have the 1% finance or 2% lease rate, which will save a few thousand dollars more when compared to the STI's 4.9% rate. In the end, costs are comparable. The BMW may be a few thousand dollars extra but that money goes towards features that are unavailable on the STI like bi-xenon headlights, sunroof, adaptive lighting, residual heat, etc. But most of all it actually has a nice interior.

I agree with you about the base model STI - I would opt for it myself because it is better value. The only thing I would hunt down is a set of used OEM BBS rims.

You have to give credit where it's due. You can't brag about a 300HP STI that's track ready and discredit the Cobalt SS in the same statement. The Cobalt SS lap time on the Nurburgring was set in a production car which would mean it's "track-ready" too.

SilverRex
11-20-2008, 02:23 PM

You have to give credit where it's due. You can't brag about a 300HP STI that's track ready and discredit the Cobalt SS in the same statement. The Cobalt SS lap time on the Nurburgring was set in a production car which would mean it's "track-ready" too.

for bang for the buck statement I agree that the colbalt SS is a good car, but no where in my life time will you ever find me driving one of them. If you think the STI gets the rice boy treatment, think about how many kids will be driving a colbalt SS given its price tag.

What I do know is the resell is quite poor on domestics, any potential total write off on the colbalt from the insurance company will instantly wake you up "wtf did I buy this POS"

the colbat, STI and 335i are all fantastic cars in their own right. but for the colbalt I dont like the style in and out, low resell and pretty much anyone can afford it. The BMW is great, is more money and has luxury written all over it, but then again Im not a big fan of their interior either for the money paid and IMO my tsx interior quality feels better than the 3 series. Oh not to mention there is WAY too many 3 series on calgary road.

Now that puts the STI relative to its price, offering and power the perfect vehicle for me. An import made in japan which rate highly, the current gen STI is soft enough for daily driving as well. And in the last 12 months I have only managed to spot two STI.