PDA

View Full Version : Changing lanes at intersection: illegal?

Pages : [1] 2

D'z Nutz
11-13-2008, 01:08 AM
(split from http://forums.beyond.ca/st/241453/rear-ended/)

Originally posted by 97'Scort
She starts going off on me that I was trying to change lanes in an intersection, which is bullshit, because I was stopped at the light when she hit me.

Even if you did, so what? It's not illegal. Mess with her head that way and let her think she's in the right :rofl:

Grogador
11-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Even if you did, so what? It's not illegal.

Nevermind, can't find it in the HTSA, must be urban legend! I'm gonna try it out right now :devil:

rp_guy
11-13-2008, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Even if you did, so what? It's not illegal. Mess with her head that way and let her think she's in the right :rofl:

Green traffic lights

52(1) When, at an intersection, a green light alone is shown by a traffic control signal, a person driving a vehicle that is facing the green light

(a) may drive the vehicle straight through the intersection, or

(b) may drive the vehicle into the intersection and on entering the intersection turn the vehicle left or right, subject to any sign or signal prohibiting a left or right turn, or both, or designating that the turning movement is permitted,

http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Regs/2002_304.cfm?frm_isbn=0779717082

section 12

prae
11-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by rp_guy

Green traffic lights

52(1) When, at an intersection, a green light alone is shown by a traffic control signal, a person driving a vehicle that is facing the green light

(b) may drive the vehicle into the intersection and on entering the intersection turn the vehicle left or right, subject to any sign or signal prohibiting a left or right turn, or both, or designating that the turning movement is permitted,

section 12

unless you interpret 12(a) to mean "straight through in the same lane" I don't see how this prohibits changing lanes in an intersection. Depends on how liberally it is intended I suppose.

I can't disagree with you, I think changing lanes in an intersection is a horrible idea but I dont see how what you posted proves it's illegal.

Anyways, sorry to hijack the thread 97'Scort. Sorry to hear about your car.

khtm
11-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Ummm...whoever remembers taking their class 5 license should remember that it's illegal to change lanes in an intersection.

Unless there's different laws in BC...because I sure remember that rule in the handbook and it was 11 years ago.

Eleanor
11-13-2008, 10:15 AM
I was under the impression that it was illegal to change lanes in the intersection as well. :dunno:

Sucks to hear, hope she gets fried by insurance :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
11-13-2008, 10:21 AM

Green traffic lights

section 12

I'm not exactly sure what your point is. There's nothing here that suggests it's illegal to change lanes in the middle of an intersection. I agree that it's not the safest idea and confuses stupid people, but nonetheless it's not against the law.

These guys seem to agree with me as well, at least with regards to Alberta and BC traffic laws:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/94276/behind-the-wheel-july-13-2005/
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/80361/behind-the-wheel-march-16-2005/

FYI, Tommy Hilfiger was never kicked off of Oprah either.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-13-2008, 10:38 AM
BC's section on green lights is almost identical to ours.

Green light

127 (1) When a green light alone is exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal,

(a) the driver of a vehicle facing the green light

(i) may cause the vehicle to proceed straight through the intersection, or to turn left or right, subject to a sign or signal prohibiting a left or right turn, or both, or designating the turning movement permitted,

(ii) must yield the right of way to pedestrians lawfully in the intersection or in an adjacent crosswalk at the time the green light is exhibited, and

(iii) must yield the right of way to vehicles lawfully in the intersection at the time the green light became exhibited, and

eglove
11-13-2008, 11:44 AM
i always though it was illegal, i remember when i did my drivers course years ago. my instructor told it was never ok to do so.

my interpretation from the bylaw's is that you can turn left or right to go down a perpendicular street, not left or right to change lanes....

rage2
11-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Yea, I was taught that it was illegal too. Never really questioned it tho.

DragZilla
11-13-2008, 12:04 PM
I remember in Drivers Ed they said that it wasn't illegal, but it was highly not recommended due to safety reasons.

Xtrema
11-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Yea, I was taught that it was illegal too. Never really questioned it tho.

May be it's common sense more than legality.

Like trying to keep enough distance in front of you.

Mibz
11-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Taken from the other thread. tl;dr, not illegal.

Originally posted by em2ab
It's illegal to change lanes in an intersection. Not in the Alberta Highway Traffic Act it isn't. The only time it would be considered illegal is if it could be determined that the lane change was unsafe. If you change lanes in an intersection with nobody around, you have not done anything wrong.

Unless I missed something... Search for "Rules for traffic lanes" to get to the right section.
http://www.canlii.org/ab/laws/sta/h-8/20030217/whole.html
Here are the relevant sections I found.

(2) Before driving from one traffic lane into another, or from a
curb lane or a parking lane into a traffic lane, a driver
(a) shall signal that driver's intention to do so in the manner
prescribed by the regulations, and
(b) shall give the signal in sufficient time to provide a
reasonable warning to other persons of that driver's
intentions.

(4) Notwithstanding anything in this section, a driver shall not
(a) drive from one traffic lane to another,
(b) cross a solid or broken line,
(c) drive from a curb lane into a traffic lane, or
(d) drive from a parking lane into a traffic lane
when the movement cannot be made in safety.

If I did miss something, then sorry.

EDIT: Ha, apparently if a pedestrian enters a crosswalk legally they can stay on the crosswalk as long as they want. Drivers must yield to pedestrians even on a green light/arrow if the pedestrians entered legally.

kenny
11-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
EDIT: Ha, apparently if a pedestrian enters a crosswalk legally they can stay on the crosswalk as long as they want. Drivers must yield to pedestrians even on a green light/arrow if the pedestrians entered legally.

Not true. They can't stay there "as long as they want". They must move as quick as they can. If they're using a walker and take forever, thats fine but they can't stand there.

154(1) A pedestrian crossing a roadway shall cross as quickly as
is reasonably possible without stopping or loitering or otherwise
impeding the free movement of vehicles on it.

Mibz
11-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Not true. They can't stay there "as long as they want". They must move as quick as they can. If they're using a walker and take forever, thats fine but they can't stand there.

154(1) A pedestrian crossing a roadway shall cross as quickly as
is reasonably possible without stopping or loitering or otherwise
impeding the free movement of vehicles on it. I just caught that, thanks :P

benyl
11-13-2008, 12:24 PM
I remember it being illegal, but I don't remember where. I try not to do it and it pisses me off when people do it.

Mys73ri0
11-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Green traffic lights

i'm not sure what kind of straight lines some of you drew in school - but any way i try to draw straight line that involves changing lanes it doesn't look so straight anymore...

SilverRex
11-13-2008, 12:59 PM
yup I also was taught not to change lanes thru an intersection:poosie:

SpoonEK9@STRD
11-13-2008, 01:33 PM
When I took my class 5, instructor told me it was illegal.

DayGlow
11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't believe it is directly mentioned, but it is covered through the unsafe lane change section. I think it would easily argued that it is a very unsate practice. For example a person turning right into the curb lane would proceed when the lane is free. If some changed lanes in the intersection to the curb lane would cause a collision.

5000Audi
11-13-2008, 01:41 PM
i was told when i took my licence it was illegal.. hmmm interesting.. iv always made a point to iether change before the intersection or wait till im through it...

510-Trevor
11-13-2008, 01:43 PM
I was reading on the ICBC website that changing lanes in an intersection in BC its not illegal because intersections generally mark the beginning and end of parking lanes and these parking lanes may only exist during certain hours. Thus if you are in the right lane entering an intersection and notice that on the other side are parked cars, you need to be able to make the lane change to avoid running into the back of the parked cars.
This could also apply to making it safer to pass a car that is trying to turn left. Once you have passed it on the right, you may have to change back into the center lane to avoid parked cars.

anarchy
11-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9@STRD

:werd:

Stealth22
11-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Even if its not illegal, who cares? Its still a bad idea. And if a cop sees you do it, even if theres nothing in the TSA about it, he can give you a ticket for an unsafe lane change, can't he?

benyl
11-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
I don't believe it is directly mentioned, but it is covered through the unsafe lane change section. I think it would easily argued that it is a very unsate practice. For example a person turning right into the curb lane would proceed when the lane is free. If some changed lanes in the intersection to the curb lane would cause a collision.

So who would be at fault in the resulting collision?

/////AMG
11-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9@STRD

:werd: x2

Tik-Tok
11-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Well, since everyone is agreed that it is illegal, as it is an unsafe lane change... I have a question for everyone.

In this scenario (near my work)

Who yields to whom? Left car is going straight, right car is turning left.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/hmmm.jpg

Penis McNickels
11-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Well, since everyone is agreed that it is illegal, as it is an unsafe lane change... I have a question for everyone.

In this scenario (near my work)

Who yields to whom? Left car is going straight, right car is turning left.

The guy on the left has the yield sign; therefore, I would argue that he is required to yield to the guy turning left. If he didn't have to yield to the left-hand turner, what is the point of the sign?

If there wasn't a yield sign there the guy turning left should not be allowed to complete his manoeuver until it is safe to do so.

EDIT: The more I look at the picture the more it confuses me. A stop sign would have been better and more obvious of what is required of those going eastbound. I can see how it can be confusing... Maybe this is why my prof always made fun of traffic/transportation engineers...

HiTempguy1
11-13-2008, 03:12 PM
I remember in Drivers Ed they said that it wasn't illegal, but it was highly not recommended due to safety reasons.

*DING!*

Tik-Tok
11-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Penis McNickels

EDIT: The more I look at the picture the more it confuses me. A stop sign would have been better and more obvious of what is required of those going eastbound.

Exactly.

By law, the person turning left must yield to oncoming traffic. Yet... by law the person going straight has to yield because he has a traffic sign saying to :nut:

Mibz
11-13-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't believe it is directly mentioned, but it is covered through the unsafe lane change section. So if I were to drive through a barren intersection and change lanes, assuming I signaled, shoulder checked, etc, it would not be illegal because it was a safe lane change? If it's not directly mentioned then I don't see how it can be called illegal.

The only analogy I can think of is that turning left is legal but not if you do it dangerously.

Redlyne_mr2
11-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
I was under the impression that it was illegal to change lanes in the intersection as well. :dunno:

Sucks to hear, hope she gets fried by insurance :thumbsup:
ya I distinctly remember my drivers trainer saying that was illegal.

403Gemini
11-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

ya I distinctly remember my drivers trainer saying that was illegal.

And mine said it was a myth and it is completely legal :dunno: gotta love these grey area things.

Mibz
11-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

And mine said it was a myth and it is completely legal :dunno: gotta love these grey area things. Yeah, I specifically asked my instructor after getting in an argument with some buddies about it and he said that it was fine as long as it was safe.

Ven
11-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Illegal. B.T.D.T. and have the ticket to prove it. You cannot change your lane while traveling through an intersection.

Mibz
11-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Ven
Illegal. B.T.D.T. and have the ticket to prove it. You cannot change your lane while traveling through an intersection. Which offense were you charged with and what were the circumstances?

89s1
11-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Changing lanes in an intersection in Alberta IS NOT illegal.

In Manitoba it is illegal.

I was forced to take a defensive driving course thru a job last year and it IS NOT illegal.

Lets put this to bed.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-13-2008, 07:48 PM
It's just common sense not to. I wish it was illegal here.

szw
11-13-2008, 08:07 PM
I also thought it was illegal and never questioned it. Bit I still did it all the time. I find it's an effective way to change lanes in heavy traffic jams.

ragu
11-13-2008, 08:11 PM
When I took safety course (that was in Ontario), they said not to change lanes 10m (or maybe 15m) within an intersection; but right after I took my exam I asked the examiner and he said it isn't a law but is unsafe...

In the picture, what if the the red car is facing a stop sign and the blue car changes lanes right when the red car is about to enter the road thinking he has an empty lane....BOOM who's at fault?

revelations
11-13-2008, 08:30 PM
probably 50-50

^ its because of this I usually wait until the vehicle has passed before I enter a roadway like that

90_Shelby
11-13-2008, 08:43 PM
I use my signal light when I change lanes and I believe the law requires you to do so. With that being said, the last thing I would want to do is confuse other drivers at an intersection by turning on my signal light as I approach an intersection and then not turn but change lanes. This seems very dangerous regardless of what lane you are in as you approach an intersection.

Matt170
11-13-2008, 09:18 PM
I asked a cop once because me and a friend argued, the cop said it wasn't illegal

narou
11-13-2008, 09:33 PM
my instructor told me it was not illegal... I see people do it all the time.. I cant see how it would be a problem because you should only change your lane when it is safe to do so right!

sneek
11-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Thats odd, I too remember AMA telling me that it was illegal to change lanes in the intersection. I have never done it because I thought it was illegal. Regardless, it probably isn't the best place to change lanes, but it does happen quite a bit in rush hour.

soupey
11-13-2008, 09:35 PM
i remember it being illegal because it confuses the hell out of ppl in the intersection when someone decides to turn their turn signals on after entering the intersection when there are no visible lane markings...as well as the idea that someone might pull an illegal turn from the wrong lane.

crx/gsr
11-13-2008, 09:37 PM
is not illegal. its just unsafe to do so.

malbadon
11-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by revelations
probably 50-50

^ its because of this I usually wait until the vehicle has passed before I enter a roadway like that

based on my experience of this exact thing happening to me, its 100% the fault of the person who changes lanes, at least thats how insurance saw it.

Cop never got called out so I have no idea if its illegal here (but I'm damn sure when I was taught in BC that it was illegal and if it isn't here thats retarded), but I turned right into a clear right lane, dude behind a car in the left lane decided they weren't going fast enough and changed into the right lane and rear ended me about 10 feet past the intersection (since I was still accelerating).
Wasn't even a question as far as insurance company was concerned.

Jim43
11-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Totally 100% legal to change lanes in an intersection.

DayGlow
11-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by benyl

So who would be at fault in the resulting collision?

If it is possible through the investigation and having independent witnesses able to verify the totality of circumstances it would be the person conducting the unsafe lane change ( IMHO, not a ironclad legal standpoint). The person turning right made a reasonable attempt to verify the lane was clear before they proceeded into the closest curb lane.

Now the chances of having the required witness testimony to truly verify the situation is not that good. Most likely no ticket would be issued because it is impossible to find out who is at fault under the provincial legislation. Now with insurance it's a completely different game. They work through the civil courts, not criminal and have different rules. For police to lay a charge they have to be able to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt. The insurance companies work in civil, where it's a balance of probabilities.

Best way I've heard it described that in civil law, where there is smoke, there is fire. In criminal law you have to prove the fire.

DayGlow
11-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
So if I were to drive through a barren intersection and change lanes, assuming I signaled, shoulder checked, etc, it would not be illegal because it was a safe lane change? If it's not directly mentioned then I don't see how it can be called illegal.

The only analogy I can think of is that turning left is legal but not if you do it dangerously.

My understanding of the legislation is that it isn't an offense. There is no part of the TSA or any other act or regulation that I know of that directly speaks to this.

To give the ticket of an unsafe lane change I would have to be able to prove in court that it is unsafe. One thing if it's a busy intersection and cars are turning right, etc and I saw a car start to move forward and then lurch to a halt as the person made the change in the intersection. I would have to be able to articulate that in the court on why I believe it to be unsafe and have the evidence to show that belief. I couldn't do that if the intersection was barren at the time of the change.

s_havinga
11-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Ya, took collision avoidance last year with work through AMA and the instructor told us it isn't illegal, just not recommended. I always thought it was illegal before that

dr_jared88
11-14-2008, 09:23 AM
This is for BC but I'd assume Alberta is most likely the same.

http://roadrules.ca/?p=74

Mibz
11-14-2008, 11:27 AM

My understanding of the legislation is that it isn't an offense. There is no part of the TSA or any other act or regulation that I know of that directly speaks to this.

To give the ticket of an unsafe lane change I would have to be able to prove in court that it is unsafe. One thing if it's a busy intersection and cars are turning right, etc and I saw a car start to move forward and then lurch to a halt as the person made the change in the intersection. I would have to be able to articulate that in the court on why I believe it to be unsafe and have the evidence to show that belief. I couldn't do that if the intersection was barren at the time of the change. Beautiful! So, assuming your knowledge of the TSA is accurate, it is NOT illegal unless it can be proven that the lane change was unsafe. Thank you.

16hypen3sp
05-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Sorry folks... I know thread is old and I hate to beat a dead horse but I have seen some images/diagrams depicting a T-intersection. If I was on a street and was approaching a T intersection, I would certainly wait until I was passed it so I wouldn't confuse other drivers.

However, I wanted to pose the question of actual 4 way intersection and changing lanes within them. This is the exact scenario I imagine when I pose the question of changing lanes in an intersection.

I actually see no problems with doing this at all. It's not holding anyone up and I can't see it confusing anyone either. As long as the lane your going into is open in that exact spot... then why not? And why would it be illegal?

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj186/manandmachinex411/inter_zpse5364d92.jpg

Toma
05-08-2014, 01:01 AM
It's Illegal.

It's very clearly spelled out that you are only allowed to do 3 things at an intersection.

Straight through , or a left turn, or right turn (where otherwise allowed to turn).

You cannot change lanes in an intersection.

16hypen3sp
05-08-2014, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Toma
It's Illegal.

It's very clearly spelled out that you are only allowed to do 3 things at an intersection.

Straight through , or a left turn, or right turn (where otherwise allowed to turn).

You cannot change lanes in an intersection.

Toma, did you read the rest of this thread? Of course its old and things could have changed since then but the general consensus was that it isn't illegal.

All the regulations say nothing about staying in your lane whilst proceeding though an intersection.

Toma
05-08-2014, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

Toma, did you read the rest of this thread? Of course its old and things could have changed since then but the general consensus was that it isn't illegal.

All the regulations say nothing about staying in your lane whilst proceeding though an intersection.

You can drive straight, or turn left or right when allowed.

Therefore, anything else is prohibited. So, you cant go backwards, change lanes, do a donut....

rage2
05-08-2014, 07:16 AM
It's not illegal. Tomas suffering from Alzeimers or something lol. I'd love for him to prove me wrong by quoting the traffic safety act where it's "very clearly spelled out".

To be precise, there's a section that talks about left turns and what to do in an intersection, a right turn section, and a backing up section that prohibits backing into an intersection.

Sugarphreak
05-08-2014, 07:18 AM

BigMass
05-08-2014, 07:21 AM
poor form and try to never do it when I can avoid it, but sometimes it seems the only gap between two slow ass drivers is in the middle of an intersection. If they wouldn't drive like a blocking wall I wouldn't need to that! :banghead:

Toma
05-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Is this not what the section says? In my mind straight through means straight through.

Green traffic lights

Mitsu3000gt
05-08-2014, 09:57 AM
It's legal, but a common misconception that it isn't.

Not saying it's the safest thing to do, but there is no law against it specifically. You would never get a ticket for it unless that action broke some other law at the same time.

I do it when it's safe, and I have a good reason to.

rage2
05-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Is this not what the section says? In my mind straight through means straight through.

Green traffic lights

I think you're reading into it a little too much. That section of law just deals with what you're allowed to do in various green light situations. There's a whole other section that covers lane changes.

With your interpretation, it'd be illegal to brake as well, regardless if there's a car stopped on the other side of the intersection, because it says drive straight through. :)

FraserB
05-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Love doing this. Perfect chance to get around slow people and no one else will be doing because they think it's illegal.

And for Toma, it can be just as easily argued that even when you do change lanes, you went straight through the intersection because you didn't make a right or left turn.

lasimmon
05-08-2014, 10:17 AM
I was once told that its not illegal but if you were to do it and cause an accident you are more than likely to be at fault due to the unsafe nature of the act. Not sure how correct that is though.

spike98
05-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon
I was once told that its not illegal but if you were to do it and cause an accident you are more than likely to be at fault due to the unsafe nature of the act. Not sure how correct that is though.

That would be an unsafe lane change and indifferent to the fact that it is in an intersection.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-08-2014, 10:35 AM

Green traffic lights

All that section does is give you the general options for what to do at an intersection. (a) says you can drive through the intersection (in this case the term "straight through" is intended to differentiate that action from "turning", rather than govern your forward path of travel), (b) says you may also turn right or left when allowed. It's basically saying that when the light is green, you may proceed or turn, but you can't just sit there.

Lane changes themselves are covered in a different section, there's no language outlawing lane changes in an intersection specifically but they are covered (in general terms) under "unsafe lane changes", in that if you change lanes in an intersection and cause an accident, the change would likely be ruled "unsafe" and you'd be at fault - which is no different than any other lane change.

speedog
05-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Holly fuck ppl, it should be just as simple as to not lane change in an intersection just so as to decrease the risk of some shit happening.

Who cares about the legality of it at all - lane changing in an intersection is a move that many other drivers may not be expecting and as such, increases the risk of getting into an accident.

blairtruck
05-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Holly fuck ppl, it should be just as simple as to not lane change in an intersection just so as to decrease the risk of some shit happening.

Who cares about the legality of it at all - lane changing in an intersection is a move that many other drivers may not be expecting and as such, increases the risk of getting into an accident.
so you drive at 20km/h everywhere to decrese the risk of anything happening.

Mitsu3000gt
05-08-2014, 11:47 AM

I see what you're saying, but if other people don't understand the laws of the road, that is a whole different problem. If we all drove in a way to minimize accidents as much as possible on the assumption that other people don't understand the rules of the road, we'd be driving around at school zone speeds everywhere.

speedog
05-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by blairtruck
so you drive at 20km/h everywhere to decrese the risk of anything happening.
Really? How did you come to that conclusion from what I posted?

rage2
05-08-2014, 11:54 AM

How does changing lanes in an intersection differ from changing lanes elsewhere where it's legal? And why would other drivers be even a factor if you're making a safe lane change?

speedog
05-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I see what you're saying, but if other people don't understand the laws of the road, that is a whole different problem. If we all drove in a way to minimize accidents as much as possible on the assumption that other people don't understand the rules of the road, we'd be driving around at school zone speeds everywhere.
And not changing lanes in an intersection affects us how much in our daily travels? SFA!

The argument in this thread is silly - any ticket given would be at the discretion of the officer issuing it and my suspicions is that those type of tickets are rarely issued. And besides that, how often is there a police officer around when one might decide to change lanes in an intersection?

Tik-Tok
05-08-2014, 11:58 AM

How does changing lanes in an intersection differ from changing lanes elsewhere where it's legal? And why would other drivers be even a factor if you're making a safe lane change?

Say you're in the left lane of 2 lanes that go straight. If you change lanes to the right mid-intersection, a person turning right onto your street from the other road of the intersection would not be expecting this maneuver, and may proceed into that lane, and an accident would occur.

Do you look at both lanes of a street you're entering?

lilmira
05-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Having the signal on while go through an intersection can be very misleading to the on coming traffic waiting for left turn.

rage2
05-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Say you're in the left lane of 2 lanes that go straight. If you change lanes to the right mid-intersection, a person turning right onto your street from the other road of the intersection would not be expecting this maneuver, and may proceed into that lane, and an accident would occur.

Funny that you brought this scenario up, because most of my intersection lane changes are changing lanes to the left when I see cars entering the intersection, or a merge lane, to make things safer.

You bring up a good point though that's not intersection lane change related, there should be right lane change restrictions at intersections, yields, merge lanes, etc. Pisses me off when I try to merge into traffic and someone changes lanes where I'm supposed to merge, and that's technically changing lanes AFTER the intersection.

Originally posted by lilmira
Having the signal on while go through an intersection can be very misleading to the on coming traffic waiting for left turn.
How so? If you're in the right lane, and make a left turn signal, it's obvious you're changing lanes and not turning left. Same goes if you're in the left lane and signaling right to change lanes, it's obvious you're not turning.

If you're in the left lane signaling left, or right lane signaling right, that's not a lane change signal, and you're a terrible driver if you go straight haha.

Honestly, if you can't comprehend someone's intentions when they're trying to safely change lanes in the middle of an intersection, you shouldn't be on the road.

Ntense_SpecV
05-08-2014, 12:15 PM
People still signal when they change lanes? I thought I was the only one lately.

speedog
05-08-2014, 12:17 PM

Shouldn't have to but last Wednesday afternoon I was making a right hand turn from the RH lane of NB 29 Street SW onto EB 26 Avenue SW and apparently I should've done a shoulder check to my left because some knob decided to do an abrupt lane change to his right into my lane without doing a shoulder check. Now it's never been my practice to do a shoulder check to my left when turning right (and it won't be in the future) but in that instance it would've saved me from now having a car with damage from the front wheel to the rear bumper.

As far as looking at both lanes of a street you're entering, yeah, I do but I also don't normally expect someone one lane over from the curb lane to be lane changing in an intersection - it's something I was taught not to do as well as what my kids were taught as well but it is becoming apparent that lane changing in an intersection is a cool thing with some drivers.

So if you're in this lane changing situation and you get through unscathed, you'll probably just get the wave from the lane changer because the wave makes everything okay, eh.

Tik-Tok
05-08-2014, 12:21 PM

You bring up a good point though that's not intersection lane change related, there should be right lane change restrictions at intersections, yields, merge lanes, etc. Pisses me off when I try to merge into traffic and someone changes lanes where I'm supposed to merge, and that's technically changing lanes AFTER the intersection.

But that IS also intersection lane change related, think of a downtown intersection that both roads are 4 lanes, and both roads are one way.

There is no run-up lane, or merge lane, etc. which puts it "after the intersection". People change into the right lane in the middle of the intersection to try and get around someone, which can lead to an accident from someone turning right, onto that road.

rage2
05-08-2014, 12:25 PM
I'd blame the bike lane on 26th Ave SW more than anything. It's a recipe for disaster for anyone that wants to go to 7-11 from 26th Ave, and you're pretty much forced to change lanes in an intersection to get to 7-11.

lilmira
05-08-2014, 12:26 PM

How so? If you're in the right lane, and make a left turn signal, it's obvious you're changing lanes and not turning left. Same goes if you're in the left lane and signaling right to change lanes, it's obvious you're not turning.

If you're in the left lane signaling left, or right lane signaling right, that's not a lane change signal, and you're a terrible driver if you go straight haha.

Honestly, if you can't comprehend someone's intentions when they're trying to safely change lanes in the middle of an intersection, you shouldn't be on the road.

It's just a general statement. When the road is busy, you don't always get to see what happens before. There may be cars in front, by the time you see the car just finishing the lane change, the signal is still on may be for a blink or two. Yes it would still be fault on the guy doing an unsafe turn. I have been frustrated by cars with signals on going through, were they changing lanes I dunno. Our brains work funny sometimes only picking up the easiest indicators to make a decision.

benyl
05-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV
People still signal when they change lanes? I thought I was the only one lately.

I have to now. My car will vibrate the steering wheel and brake the wheels on the opposite side to keep me in the current lane if I try changing lanes with out signalling.

lilmira
05-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Oh one more reason, during rush hour when the next block is filled up, you wait for the traffic to move up before you go. Eventually there is enough room to fit you, so you proceed then some asshole move in to take your spot, now you are stuck in the intersection and the light turns red, all the pedestrians now try to kill you, true story.

Ntense_SpecV
05-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I have to now. My car will vibrate the steering wheel and brake the wheels on the opposite side to keep me in the current lane if I try changing lanes with out signalling.

And you paid extra to have it do so!

CapnCrunch
05-08-2014, 01:16 PM
I was taught not to do it and assumed it was the law. Turns out its just a stupid thing to do.

schocker
05-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
I was taught not to do it and assumed it was the law. Turns out its just a stupid thing to do.
How is it stupid :confused:
You are in the right lane, someone in the left is turning left, get into left lane in the intersection and you are set :whocares:

guessboi
05-08-2014, 01:36 PM
I also was taught not to change lanes at intersection even though I know is not the law. Just like you don't change lanes when someone is merging out to that lane.

Tik-Tok
05-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by schocker

How is it stupid :confused:
You are in the right lane, someone in the left is turning left, get into left lane in the intersection and you are set :whocares:

Because of the opposite. As I previously argued, people switching into the right lane mid-intersection.

schocker
05-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Because of the opposite. As I previously argued, people switching into the right lane mid-intersection.
You still have to pay attention like a normal lane change so people who pay attention wouldn't have this problem :D

Tik-Tok
05-08-2014, 02:18 PM

You still have to pay attention like a normal lane change so people who pay attention wouldn't have this problem :D

Calgary drivers pay attention like they pay PST.

They don't do it now, and they'll raise hell if someone tries to force them to in the future.

Mar
05-08-2014, 02:20 PM
I've almost been hit about 100 times from people that just go into whatever the hell lane they want. Turning from 17 Avenue SW onto Macleod North right in front of the Casino I dodge accidents all the time. I try to turn into lane 2 but the guy to my left tries to turn into lane 2 or 3. Then honks at me and gives me the finger. :facepalm:

schocker
05-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Calgary drivers pay attention like they pay PST.

They don't do it now, and they'll raise hell if someone tries to force them to in the future.
Exactly, so even if you were in the right lane the entire time, people would still turn in front of you, so it is moot as long as you are paying attention to your own actions :rofl:

CapnCrunch
05-08-2014, 02:52 PM

So lets say you're waiting to turn left, I'm coming the opposite way also turning left, seeing me signalling to turn left, you proceed to start making your turn and I decide last minute I don't want to turn left and switch lanes in the intersection and smoke into your car.

16hypen3sp
05-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Perhaps I should put this whole issue to the test...

Get in front of officer, proceed towards intersection with officer directly in tow, enter intersection, and immediately change lanes. Either I'm getting a ticket for an unsafe lane change or nothing is going to happen.

In the case of getting a ticket, I can gather my case from all of you who believe lane changes are legal and present it in court and see what the judge rules.

I'd go through the hassle just to find out for myself.

rage2
05-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Why bother? Scroll up and you'll see Dayglow, a cop, state that it's legal.

frizzlefry
05-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Yeah the Judge in my Red Deer case said I should have changed lanes in the intersection rather than pull a U-Turn.

It's legal here. It's in bad form but it's legal.

16hypen3sp
05-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Why bother? Scroll up and you'll see Dayglow, a cop, state that it's legal.

I know. I seen Dayglows post. I just don't know if I put a lot of faith in his post... nothing against him. I found a police forum and all they had to say about the matter was it was up to the judge whether it was legal or not. It seems that no one really knows... I do believe its legal.

IMO, I think the argument over confusing other drivers is starting to look void... just for the simple fact they don't expect it because everyone believes its illegal. If everyone knew it was legal, it would be part of everyday driving and this thread wouldn't exist.

Mar
05-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Why bother? Scroll up and you'll see Dayglow, a cop, state that it's legal. You actually believe cops know what's legal and what isn't? I had a cop tell me he can tow my car because I needed a wheel alignment and it was unsafe for public roads.

Supa Dexta
05-09-2014, 04:35 AM
I'm sure that's all there was to the story. :rolleyes:

And no one cares about your quotes for a sig, read them and move on.