PDA

View Full Version : Insurance companies 15 yr rule

wiggaplz
11-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Do they have that rule where if a car is older then 15 yrs, you have to have a safety inspection to get it insured?

5000Audi
11-13-2008, 11:26 AM
yes sir.. well actually depends on your insurance company.. i have a 86 audi and the insurance i have i didnt have to get an inspection... so i dunno but im pretty sure you do,

Tarrantula
11-13-2008, 11:31 AM
i think if the car wasnt previously insured...then you have to get it inspected... no idea.

A790
11-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Varies from company to company. Some insurers require older vehicles to pass a safety inspection while others could care less. It's a pretty simple inspection though, not really a big deal.

510-Trevor
11-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Min of 12yrs before they can ask for a safety inspection. Here is the official form showing how basic it is: http://www.bentleyinsuranceltd.com/pdf/auto_inspectionreport.pdf

shin0bi
11-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Depends where the car is coming from too.
Out of province/country = automatic inspection in most cases.

Masked Bandit
11-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Generally speaking, 15 years is the norm. In a few situations it's 12 years or if the vehicle is from out of province then it will always need the inspection. If you are already stuck with Nordic though, no inspection will be needed.

dj_honda
11-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Are you guys sure its 12 years? My car is a 1997 and they asked for one. I think some company's make it 10 even...like mine :thumbsdow

bituerbo
11-13-2008, 03:31 PM
It's at the discretion of the insurance company and also I believe it has something to do with whether you're getting comprehensive insurance or not. I'm with State Farm and have registered vehicles as old as 1988 and still have never had to do an insurance inspection, but I only get liability coverage on my beaters.

Tarrantula
11-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by A790
Varies from company to company. Some insurers require older vehicles to pass a safety inspection while others could care less. It's a pretty simple inspection though, not really a big deal.

On a personal note, if I was running an insurance company... why the fuck would I make people "Qualify" to give me all there money? If the brakes are fucked.. better chance that I would be collecting even more cash from them soon.

EvolutionI
11-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
It's at the discretion of the insurance company and also I believe it has something to do with whether you're getting comprehensive insurance or not. I'm with State Farm and have registered vehicles as old as 1988 and still have never had to do an insurance inspection, but I only get liability coverage on my beaters.

I asked state farm, I insured a vehicle I know had no chance of passing a safety inspection, whatever it was only for 2 weeks, and they said they felt it was the registry's problem regarding safety inspections.

+1 for state farm

A790
11-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula

On a personal note, if I was running an insurance company... why the fuck would I make people "Qualify" to give me all there money? If the brakes are fucked.. better chance that I would be collecting even more cash from them soon.
LOL because if you went off and smoked a pedestrian, resulting in a half million dollar settlement, well... you just lost a ton of money because you insured someone without breaks.

Tarrantula
11-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionI

+1 for state farm

Thats why I love em!

Masked Bandit
11-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
Are you guys sure its 12 years? My car is a 1997 and they asked for one. I think some company's make it 10 even...like mine :thumbsdow

You managed to come across someone that doesn't know WTF they're doing. The AB Government passed a bunch of insurance rules in October of 2004 and one of them was concerning inspections. They can't hassle you for one until the vehicle is 12 years old.

Now, one could make the arguement that because the 2009 models are out, your 1997 is 12 years old.

Errol.
11-13-2008, 05:02 PM
It was 12 years for me.

403ep3
11-13-2008, 06:10 PM
+1 for State farm. My guy doesn't care lol

Tik-Tok
11-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Signing my own safety inspections off FTW

Kloubek
11-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Generally speaking, 15 years is the norm. In a few situations it's 12 years or if the vehicle is from out of province then it will always need the inspection. If you are already stuck with Nordic though, no inspection will be needed.

I've known people to have no problems with real old cars.

As said a few times, everything is up to the insurance company. It's all privatized here, so they all go by their own rules.

My current insurance is good up to 12 years.

My question is - why are you asking OP? If you are considering buying an older car, it really is a good idea to get it saftey checked anyway. Well worth the $50. That was you find out things - like how someone decided to use a nail as a caliper pin, etc.