PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper TV's on the Horizon?

codetrap
11-13-2008, 02:48 PM
From DailyTech (http://www.dailytech.com/LCD+Makers+Plead+Guilty+to+Price+Fixing/article13422.htm)

LCD Makers Plead Guilty to Price Fixing
Fines to involved firms total $585 million

The economy is tough currently around the world and here in America. While most technology firms simply do the best they can in the current economic climate, some take things too far and turn to illegal means to protect profits.

This was the case for three of the top LCD panel makers in the world. Sharp, LG, and Chunghwa Picture Tubes have all pled guilty to price fixing in the LCD market. The three firms have agreed to pay fines totaling $585 million to the U.S. Justice Department.

The largest fine levied against one of the three firms was against LG. LG alone is responsible for $400 million of the fine with the remaining $85 million coming from Sharp and Chunghwa. The exact amount that the latter two firms will pay is unknown.

The New York Times reports that the $400 million fine against LG is the second largest fine ever levied by the Justice Department's antitrust division. The largest was a $500 million fine paid by F. Hoffman-La Roche in 1999 for price fixing in nutritional supplements.

These fines may be the end of the price fixing saga for the three firms here in the U.S., but things in Europe and Asia are just getting started. The investigation was conducted jointly between authorities in the U.S., Europe, and Asia.

When all is said and done the total cost for each of the LCD makers will be much higher than the U.S. fines alone. In addition to fines from the Justice Department, the New York Times reports that several class action suits have been filed on behalf of consumers and distributors who purchased screens made by the companies.

Three American firms who purchased LCD panels from the companies in the scandal specifically named by the Justice Department are Dell, Apple, and Motorola. If the price fixing scheme hadn’t been executed by the firms, the panels would be even cheaper than they are now according to authorities.

These LCD makers aren't the only tech companies who have been in trouble for price fixing. NVIDIA agreed to a settlement without admitting guilt over alleged price fixing in the GPU industry.

So, I guess cheaper LCD TV's are on the way?

Zero102
11-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Don't hold your breath, they can always make up new reasons to keep the prices high ;)

That said, I really hope LCD prices take a big tumble, would be really convenient for me :D

Masked Bandit
11-13-2008, 02:55 PM
I don't find the prices all that bad as they are. Of course cheaper would always be nicer but when you can buy a decent 42" LCD for $1000 I don't find it unreasonalble.

Penis McNickels
11-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Cheaper?

How do you think they are going to pay for that fine? This probably gives them a good reason to keep their artificially high price.

TomcoPDR
11-13-2008, 03:20 PM
"class action?"

Xtrema
11-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I don't find the prices all that bad as they are. Of course cheaper would always be nicer but when you can buy a decent 42" LCD for $1000 I don't find it unreasonalble.

Ditto.

I remember a typical 36" tube never drop below $900. I don't see a good 42" drop below that either.

01RedDX
11-13-2008, 04:08 PM

codetrap
11-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Ditto.

I remember a typical 36" tube never drop below $900. I don't see a good 42" drop below that either.

The last tube I bought was a 32, and it was only $300 and change...

Oh.. and LG 42" 1080p Widescreen LCD HDTV (42LG50). $1099

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926HDS0010100016&catid=24558&PCName=tv_1000_1999&logon=&langid=EN

3g4u
11-13-2008, 05:39 PM
I think that LCD tvs have come down quite a bit since i first bought one. Last year i picked up a 42" 1080P for the same price i picked up my 32" 1080i 2 years before. So i can't complain too much.

Eleanor
11-13-2008, 06:10 PM
This was the case for three of the top LCD panel makers in the world. Sharp, LG, and Chunghwa Picture Tubes
Wait, who?

in*10*se
11-13-2008, 07:18 PM
^^6sounds chinese... :dunno: :dunno:

clem24
11-14-2008, 05:48 PM
How much cheaper do you want TVs to be? The typical 42" or 50" has probably dropped more than 50% since HD became mainstream and they're dropping pretty much everyday. I never saw CRTs drop like this when they were in their hay day. But then again, it probably costs much much more to manufacturer a CRT, and I assume they're perfected LCD production now and can get really great yields. And probably sell their shit panels to the shit manufacturers.