PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used car

xtrader101
11-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Should i buy from a dealership or private seller?

Thank you.

Ricko
11-13-2008, 07:58 PM
as long as you do your homework (lien check, inspection etc) private is the way to go, cheaper and no gst

Sorath
11-13-2008, 08:01 PM
if u know what ur doing, private sale is good, if u dont know, then buy from dealership, at least u can go bitch at them if something goes wrong and they can deal with it. what kind of car are u looking for?

Weapon_R
11-13-2008, 08:08 PM
lol what advantages are there buying from a dealer? Pretty much zero.

There is no one to bitch at. Most used car lots don't care if something goes wrong and the 'warranties' they offer are garbage if they are aftermarket.

ragu
11-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Also depends on what price range you are looking for. If you are buying a car under $6-7000 definitely buy private.

xtrader101
11-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I am looking to buy a honda CRV. Do you think I can get one with less than 100k mileage, automatic transmission, year 04-06, for less than $16K?

This will be my first vehicle purchase. Any help, what to check, is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

shin0bi
11-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by ragu
Also depends on what price range you are looking for. If you are buying a car under $6-7000 definitely buy private.

Agreed. If you're going to be buying a car that costs a fair chunk of money, a benefit to dealership sales is that you can get financing deals.

If you go private, you might be screwed over easily unless you do your homework.

nbaker00
11-13-2008, 09:00 PM
I have a CRV that fits your specs and budget nicely.
Feel free to PM me.:)

TomcoPDR
11-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by xtrader101

This will be my first vehicle purchase.

Originally posted by nbaker00

Match made in heaven.

badatusrnames
11-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Feel free to PM me.:)

Lol, in like shit on a blanket... :D

nbaker00
11-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Match made in heaven.
:love: :love:

xtrader101
11-13-2008, 09:46 PM

:love: :love:

PM Sent.

Sorath
11-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

ragu
11-15-2008, 08:03 PM
awww....sorath and nbaker for op:love:

xtrader101
11-17-2008, 11:20 PM
When I buy a honda certified from a dealership, is it still necessary to have it looked at by a third party mechanic like AMA? How about buying it from a dealership other than Honda?

Regarding extended warranty, are there any flavors of it or it it's all the same? What are the most important things that must be included in a warranty?

How much is do you think is the costs of a 3-year extended warranty?

Thank you.

bituerbo
11-17-2008, 11:30 PM
When I buy a honda certified from a dealership, is it still necessary to have it looked at by a third party mechanic like AMA? How about buying it from a dealership other than Honda?

Regarding extended warranty, are there any flavors of it or it it's all the same? What are the most important things that must be included in a warranty?

Thank you.

This should be made into its own thread. However:
Are there extended warranties that cover you for mechanical failure the same way insurance covers you for driver failure?

Sorath
11-17-2008, 11:33 PM

Thank you.

no they do the inspection, u can ask to see the report. as long as its a big name dealership u shouldnt have to worry, with honda certified they give u extended warranty at no extra cost. u can buy extended warranty, depending on the term varies with the price. coverage one is what we use at the dealership

rc2002
11-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Regardless of where you buy the car, you should do your own due diligence. You can get a lemon from a dealership lot just as easily as you can from a private sale.

Best thing you can do is buy a car where you either know the entire history of it personally, or the entire history is well documented.

It's only my opinion, but extended warranty on a Honda probably won't pay itself off. It would probably be cheaper to pay for any repairs during those three years than to buy the extended warranty.