PDA

View Full Version : I've always hated mail-in rebates...

old&slow
11-14-2008, 12:26 PM
We have been longstanding supporters of mail in rebates (MIR) in our industry and for the most part if you properly managed your personal rebate process, MIRs have been a fairly safe bet. All of that is about to change. Continental Promotions Group headquartered in Canada is one of the rebate industry’s largest and oldest players and has huge ties to computer hardware rebates. CPG is putting the screw to its customers to “repay” rebates that have already been funded. Hardly what we would call “Fulfilling the Promise of the Brand” as it is stated on its home page.

Since 1989, CPG has earned an enviable reputation for its innovative, responsive and effective promotions, from rebates and loyalty programs to gift cards and sales spiffs. The company is a recognized leader in the promotion industry, having created countless consumer, retail and business-to-business programs for more than 500 national and international clients in 120 countries.

While we prefer not to kiss and tell, our client list reads like a Who's Who in Consumer Retailing and Manufacturing. From high tech to housewares, home improvement to home entertainment, appliances to auto parts.

Here is a simple overview of how a rebate with CPG works. Company X puts a rebate on its product, let’s say for $20. Company X expects to pay out 5000 of these rebates to consumers. Company X would then put the $100,000 needed to cover that rebate into CPG’s bank accounts. CPG basically escrows the money for consumers. CPG is trusted with this money in order to make sure the consumer is “safe.”

We have it from good sources currently that CPG owes consumers somewhere in the neighborhood of $9M to $12M worth of rebates. The problem here is that CPG currently only has about $3M in cash to cover that $9M-$12M in rebates owed to the consumer. Where that money has gone to is anyone’s guess and we will leave speculation up the law enforcement authorities and the courts.

Currently CPG is contacting its customers telling them that they will need to yet again deposit money into CPG accounts in order for CPG to have the cash to cover rebate checks to consumers. This is money that companies have already paid CPG previously. CPG is telling its customers that if they do not pony up AGAIN, consumer rebate check payments are in jeopardy. In our example above, CPG is not sure where the $100,000 is that Company X paid them, but we are sure that they want another $100,000 or CPG will start bouncing consumers’ MIR checks.

If you have a rebate out with CPG, I would check into it quickly. If CPG is no help, contact the company that manufactured the product directly and explain your concerns.

Certainly MIRs are a mixed bag in the world of the computer hardware enthusiast. Some swear by them while others will not touch them with a ten foot pole. One thing is for sure, if CPG fails consumers and starts bouncing rebate checks, CPG will massively undermine the entire way that e-tail and retail computer hardware outlets do business as well as many other markets. It likely will not be for the better initially, but let's face facts, lower pricing up-front without the MIR hoops to jump through is what the consumer wants.

5000Audi
11-14-2008, 12:55 PM
isnt it illigal to knowenly send a cheaque that will bounce? or is that only in the state?

spikerS
11-14-2008, 01:21 PM
i have been waiting 5 years for my mail in rebate from my first digital camera. MIRs are hit and miss. of the 12-15 i have sent in for, i have gotten about 6 or 7 back.

A790
11-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by spikers
i have been waiting 5 years for my mail in rebate from my first digital camera. MIRs are hit and miss. of the 12-15 i have sent in for, i have gotten about 6 or 7 back.
Ditto. When I was young (like 15) I saved up for weeks to buy a GeForce 3, and the one I bought had a $50 MIB. I was so happy because that meant that I'd be able to save some scratch, and being 15 (7 years ago), coming across $50 wasn't exactly easy.

Did I ever get it? No.

C4S
11-14-2008, 01:46 PM
MIR in Canada seems ok ..

Canon rebate is quite good ...... :D

In general .. I get ~ 7/10 rebates back ... ( US )

gmoney82
11-14-2008, 03:34 PM
staples easyrebate is pretty good,..no complaints. I wouldnt trust a direct from manufacturer rebate tho

eblend
11-15-2008, 12:36 AM
just got a 50 dollar rebate last week for a epson printer (got the printer for free after rebate) when I bought a new digicam for my wife, never had one NOT come in, always got one, took long time sometimes but at the end they always came in, i guess i am lucky

CaptainReboot
11-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by gmoney82
staples easyrebate is pretty good,..no complaints. I wouldnt trust a direct from manufacturer rebate tho

:werd:

You don't need to mail anything in. It's all electronic.

The only time we didn't get a rebate back is when we bought a toaster oven from Consumers Distributing.

OH-EIGHT
11-16-2008, 10:44 AM
manufacturer rebates usually suck because they have rebate houses handling it for them and most rebate houses are crap

prae
11-16-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by gmoney82

i disagree. I tried to do the easyrebate thing on a printer and the online site wouldn't accept my code. I think some employees scam the system and claim your rebates for themselves.

In the end, I called and harassed them so much, they sent me TWO $50 cheques so I got $100 back on a printer. Can't complain too much.

yue
11-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot
]
The only time we didn't get a rebate back is when we bought a toaster oven from Consumers Distributing.
holy crap! i remember going to franklin mall to shop there...damn i'm old:(

AE92_TreunoSC
11-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by yue

holy crap! i remember going to franklin mall to shop there...damn i'm old:(

I was trying to recall the name of that company the other day, I used to love buying video games from them :)

I'm old as well :(

msouther
11-16-2008, 11:55 AM
"manufacturer rebates usually suck because they have rebate houses handling it for them and most rebate houses are crap"

I would have to agree with this statement. I had a choice of a 6 month or 12 month supply of contact lenses for my daughter. I chose the 12 because it had a better rebate. I sent away the UPC codes, original receipt and completed form and 4 months later I haven't gotten it. I called them and the "rebate handling company" said that I only sent in 2 of the 4 UPC's. I know I sent them all in and argued with them.

I then sent an email directly to the company and didn't hear anything decisive from them. Finally I sent another one that wasn't as cordial and they said the rebate would be on its way. I still haven't gotten it, but I will fight it. It is only like $50, but it is the principle of it that pisses me off.

Carlton
11-16-2008, 12:30 PM
I find it that it just takes forever. Around 4-6 months?

schocker
11-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Out of all the ones I have done, mainly computer components, I have recieved every one. :dunno:

Xtrema
11-16-2008, 01:52 PM
I have had good luck but sometime it take so long that I forgot that I have sent them. And some people forgot to send them in all together.

It's a nice way for manufacturers to push their product without retails taking the profit instead but it's very inefficient.

FiveFreshFish
11-16-2008, 11:24 PM
I'll bet the manufacturers or retailers depend on a certain percentage of customers who do not send for their rebate.

colinxx235
11-17-2008, 10:30 AM
I was supposed to get a $150 rebate back from Asus when I bought my laptop in February, several e-mails and phone calls later still no rebate.. I want that 150 :P

Mibz
11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm confused. The article states that manufacturer "expects" to pay out xx amount so they send xx amount. What happens if more is required? Is that the holding company's responsibility or the manufacturers? I'd assume the manufacturers.

The article makes it sound like the holding company has been pissing away the money but it could just be that more people than expected have been mailing in those rebates and the holding company doesn't have the money required. That would be due to the manufacturer underestimating, not the holding company blowing it.

Who wrote that, who do they work for and can somebody explain what's SUPPOSED to happen when more people than expected use MIRs?

eblend
11-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Well today I officially got sucked into this whole fiasco. Had a cheque from epson come in like 3 weeks ago, cashed it, all was good for 3 weeks. This saturday got a call from epson saying that i should not deposit the cheque cuz their company that handles this shit has gona bancrupt. I am like...thanks for letting me know, 3 weeks later after i deposited it. I thought the cheque cleared since it was 3 weeks so I didn't think much of it.

Today I tried to login to my online banking and well, i can't login. I am like wtf, try a few more times and then just call the company. They told me there was a charge back on my account and that my chequing accout is now in negatives ( i had like 30 bucks in there, keep most of my shit in savings) and since i did not have overdraft on my account, i got dinged fucking $7.50 for the bounce on the cheque and my account is sitting -30ish. Total bullshit. Will be calling epson first thing tomorrow morning and have them get me a real cheque and will damn argue like mad until they give me my 7.50 back as well, since it was not a fault of mine at all. It is not big money at all, but still 7.50 gets you a lunch and as of right now i am out of 57.50 from my account, 50 for the rebate and the 7.50 service fee.
Bunch of bullshit, like I need anymore shit happening in my life

rockanrepublic
11-24-2008, 08:46 PM
i hate it when your in a store and you look at the price label of something and it says "49.99" and you say to yourself "that's a pretty good deal" then you see the small writing "With $20 mail-in rebate". :banghead:

old&slow
11-24-2008, 08:59 PM
^that is crappy, no doubt about it!

TomcoPDR
11-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Consumers should be able to pay on a mail-in-payment bases too then.

NEPride
11-24-2008, 09:29 PM
haha
i bought a watch and thrrew our the rebae. rebates are for homeless

im wealthy

Super_Geo
11-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by NEPride
haha
i bought a watch and thrrew our the rebae. rebates are for homeless

im wealthy

:rofl:

Looks like the '09s are signing up early...