PDA

View Full Version : Need Serious Vista Help

pattyt
11-14-2008, 01:08 PM
So this random problem, never happened to me before just happened. Heres my explaination:
I start up my laptop, which has vista on it, and it begins to load, it gets to the loading bar, gets past that bar, and then the creen flickers once and its gone. Wont do anything, just sits there on the black screen, but yet i can see that the "process light" on my laptop is blinking like its doing something. Now the wierd thing is, i can load it up on safe mode, and itll login go to the desktop like nothing is wrong at all. So what the hell could possibly be wrong!! I need my laptop asap, all my work is on there.

SilverGS
11-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Backup all your data in safe mode just in case would be a prudent move.

Try reinstalling your video driver.

em2ab
11-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by pattyt
So this random problem, never happened to me before just happened. Heres my explaination:
I start up my laptop, which has vista on it, and it begins to load, it gets to the loading bar, gets past that bar, and then the creen flickers once and its gone. Wont do anything, just sits there on the black screen, but yet i can see that the "process light" on my laptop is blinking like its doing something. Now the wierd thing is, i can load it up on safe mode, and itll login go to the desktop like nothing is wrong at all. So what the hell could possibly be wrong!! I need my laptop asap, all my work is on there.

I start up my laptop, which has vista on it, and it begins to load, it gets to the loading bar, gets past that bar, and then the creen flickers once and its gone. Wont do anything, just sits there on the black screen, but yet i can see that the "process light" on my laptop is blinking like its doing something.

I start up my laptop, which has vista on it, and it begins to load, it gets to the loading bar, gets past that bar, and then the creen flickers once and its gone.

I start up my laptop, which has vista on it, and it begins to load,

I start up my laptop, which has vista on it

which has vista on it

vista

Here's your problem.

dr_jared88
11-14-2008, 01:35 PM
http://www.e-wallpapers.info/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/apple_windows_by_mo6.jpg

takkyu
11-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Here's your problem.

the most useless post I have seen to date, congratulations.

WhippWhapp
11-14-2008, 01:38 PM
safemode>msconfig>start up... uncheck everything & reboot.

turn on one, repeat process- should find your problem

hampstor
11-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Here's your problem.

Originally posted by dr_jared88
http://www.e-wallpapers.info/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/apple_windows_by_mo6.jpg

Yes, you hate Vista - moving right along, lets see if we can actually help people instead of making ignorant posts?

pattyt, did you install any applications right before it happened?

The other thing is if you had auto updates on, there was a patch the other night - maybe that was the problem. If you can get into safe mode, try and rollback to the pre-patch stage.

Edit: Do what WhippWhapp said. :)

em2ab
11-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by takkyu
the most useless post I have seen to date, congratulations.

Originally posted by hampstor
Yes, you hate Vista - moving right along, lets see if we can actually help people instead of making ignorant posts?

:cry:

http://jeffvrabel.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/sarcasm_detector.jpg

BlackArcher101
11-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Why in the hell is there so much Vista hate still?

Don't people realize that it's greatly improved since it's debut and the only reason to hate it is it's past reputation? It's like the hatred for domestic cars... because they're domestic and nothing else.

I'm a vista user... my company has switched to vista... My expensive drafting machine is 64-bit Vista (supposedly the worst thing I could have done, because there are no drivers apparently)... well.... here I am, no problems whatsoever.

So stop with the Vista bashing. It's getting old.

em2ab
11-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Why in the hell is there so much Vista hate still?

Don't people realize that it's greatly improved since it's debut and the only reason to hate it is it's past reputation? It's like the hatred for domestic cars... because they're domestic and nothing else.

I'm a vista user... my company has switched to vista... My expensive drafting machine is 64-bit Vista (supposedly the worst thing I could have done, because there are no drivers apparently)... well.... here I am, no problems whatsoever.

So stop with the Vista bashing. It's getting old.

Okay, okay, I don't hate Vista, I use it on my laptop. But there are things I dislike about it.

1. 3/4 gig of RAM to boot = unnecessary
2. 32-bit/64-bit/Home/Professional//Business/Ultimate = unnecessary
3. computationally slower than XP = unnecessary
4. lack of drivers = unnecessary
5. DirectX10 dependent = unnecessary
6. 20 years of legacy code = unnecessary
7. terrible memory management

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just answering the question. To add some help for the original poster, if you can boot into Safe Mode then there's nothing wrong with your Vista configuration. Safe Mode (as you may know) simply doesn't load your drivers when it boots (among other things) so try the things already stated and that should get you going. Otherwise when you're in there just start uninstalling drivers, boot back into normal mode, then go online and download the latest drivers for all your hardware.

Zero102
11-14-2008, 04:43 PM
There is one more troubleshooting mode that will really narrow this down.

Vista has a low resolution mode that disables the video driver, designed to help troubleshoot this exact issue. If your computer will start up normally in this mode (available on the same F8 screen as safe mode) then the problem is only your video driver. Enter device manager, un-install the video driver then download the latest one from the video card manufacturer's site (or the laptop manufacturer's site) and install it.

If your computer will not boot in this mode, then it is a startup item that is the issue. You will need to do clean boot troubleshooting, and this means disabling all third party services and startup items using msconfig from safe mode.

Dude needs help, so let's keep this somewhat on track ;)

eblend
11-14-2008, 04:51 PM
did you let it sit there for a while? Cuz sounds like its doing something and your being impatient. I know that right after the green bar disappears mine goes black for a bit and then finally loads

Mibz
11-14-2008, 05:03 PM
3/4 gig of RAM to boot
terrible memory managementYou do realize that Vista does this neat trick that Linux has been doing for a while now where it caches commonly used files into memory, to speed up program access to them, right? That's why Vista appears to be so much more resource intensive, when in reality it's just slightly more resource intensive. Not only that, but it frees up that cached space BEFORE it's needed, IF it's needed, so there's no performance loss.

Unused RAM is wasted money.