PDA

View Full Version : Crooked OOP?

2EFNFAST
11-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Asked several months ago, got some names, followed up with them and they all turned out to be duds pretty much .... anybody know someone who can do OOP and turn a blindeye to a lot of stuff (not hazardous, just not wasting my time with it like wipers, backup lighting, etc....).

Willing to slip 2 or 3k in cash just to pass btw (because I don't want to waste my time arguing with a shop about why a car with no fricken doors or roof needs a defroster) :)

FilthyMcNasty
11-14-2008, 05:43 PM
You are willing to pay $2000 to pass a car for inspection? Wow man, you must have lots of cash to burn. If i find a guy for you will you cut me in?

2EFNFAST
11-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by FilthyMcNasty
You are willing to pay $2000 to pass a car for inspection? Wow man, you must have lots of cash to burn. If i find a guy for you will you cut me in?

I just don't want to go through the headaches I KNOW (been there, done that) I will encounter, over pissy stuff. Especially on a handbuilt car (I'm massively OCD and quadruple check every nut and torque spec, all leaks, etc... etc..., so it's probably a hell of a lot better built than a production car) - lots of shops I've talked to are like 'Oh, yea, hmm, handbuilt, that's an automatic fail :rolleyes: ' ..... between towing, arguments, and re-tests I know I"ll be over 2k easily, so figure may as well line somebody's pocket :D

If you have a friend and PM his info and he's willing to share, you can have a finders fee.

dannie
11-14-2008, 06:30 PM
You do realize that if it is a true homemade vehicle, there is a major process for it? You have to be approved by Alberta Transportation, go thru the Assigned VIN program and then you can do the out of province.

Toms-SC
11-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Are you serious?

badatusrnames
11-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Subscribed.

narou
11-14-2008, 06:33 PM
:drama:

TomcoPDR
11-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Pix of the beast plz.

Isaiah
11-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Subscribed.
+1

harv91
11-14-2008, 06:53 PM
lol this is a chill guy

2EFNFAST
11-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by dannie
You do realize that if it is a true homemade vehicle, there is a major process for it? You have to be approved by Alberta Transportation, go thru the Assigned VIN program and then you can do the out of province.

fill out the VIN form online, get OOP, get plate. Fairly simple

Originally posted by Isaiah

+1

Pictuers of the sexyness

http://www.jtruck.net/misc/4x4cars/full/4x4yugo.jpg

Originally posted by Toms-SC
Are you serious?

Sure; I'm just being very blunt because it is what it is. Surely you don't think in a city as large as Calgary there arn't a few unscrupulous mechanics out there. Unfortunately I don't know where to find them =(

djayz
11-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Is this a joke or am I going to see that thing flying down deerfoot with chunks of ice flinging out from behind it if you find a crooked mechanic?

badatusrnames
11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by djayz
Is this a joke or am I going to see that thing flying down deerfoot with chunks of ice flinging out from behind it if you find a crooked mechanic?

The picture is a joke. Here are real pics:

http://xs433.xs.to/xs433/08454/ah1817.jpg

http://xs232.xs.to/xs232/08431/mpglol188.jpg

http://xs132.xs.to/xs132/08421/safe2809.jpg

dannie
11-14-2008, 07:42 PM
You fill in the VIN form, pay the money and then they come out to see the vehicle. If that vehicle in any way looks as though it will be non-compliant, they forward the vehicle information onto Alberta Transportation.

Alberta Transportation becomes involved and will make damn sure your vehicle is road worthy. They can ask for proof of work done as well as receipts. If you ignore them, the VIN gets flagged.

If you go to a mechanic and he does the OOP and approves it and go register it, Alberta Transportation will be alerted that the vehicle has been updated, cancel the vehicle and declare it as unfit until you prove to them it is road worthy.

Then will then look into the mechanic that did the exam and suspend his licencing.

So no. Its not quite that simple.

2EFNFAST
11-14-2008, 08:33 PM
You fill in the VIN form, pay the money and then they come out to see the vehicle. If that vehicle in any way looks as though it will be non-compliant, they forward the vehicle information onto Alberta Transportation.

Are you certain that they actualyl come out to inspect it? my understanding was there wasn't anymore phsyical inspection from the ?RCMP? ?

If that's the case, yep, I'm hosed still, lol - guess I'm going to have to phone to confirm next week :(

dannie
11-14-2008, 08:35 PM
http://www.ibc.ca/en/Insurance_Crime/Prevention_Investigation/Alberta_ReVINing.asp

Yep, Im certain. Its part of what I do for a living :) lol

If you want to double check, go to the registry and ask for the application. You can see it for yourself.

Oh, and its not done by the RCMP anymore. Its by the Insurance Bureau investigators.

2EFNFAST
11-14-2008, 08:40 PM
http://www.ibc.ca/en/Insurance_Crime/Prevention_Investigation/Alberta_ReVINing.asp

Yep, Im certain. Its part of what I do for a living :) lol

If you want to double check, go to the registry and ask for the application. You can see it for yourself.

Oh, and its not done by the RCMP anymore. Its by the Insurance Bureau investigators.

Oh damn :(

Don't suppose you're a crooked insurance bureau investigator? Me love you long time :love:

edit: Oooooooh, I read the link and it says that it isn't a visual/mechanical inspection, so probably the stuff I'm missing (wipers, defroster, unkillable DTRL, backup lights, and a few other small things) would be missed. Yippie.

shin0bi
11-14-2008, 08:43 PM
http://xs232.xs.to/xs232/08431/mpglol188.jpg

Best.... License plate.... EVER!

dannie
11-14-2008, 08:44 PM
No, its not a mechanical inspection. However, they will alert Alberta Transportation of the status of the vehicle. (especially if it is in the condition of the picture). Thats where you get screwed. They are the ones that flag it and make sure you have the right stuff.

n1zm0
11-14-2008, 08:44 PM
then how do owners of 'kit cars' go about getting their project cars insured, i mean built from scratch kinda stuff like his^?

2EFNFAST
11-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
then how do owners of 'kit cars' go about getting their project cars insured, i mean built from scratch kinda stuff like his^?

I've actually got complete insurance on mine right now (even collision...don't know how I have that without registration though???) - there are a few companies (typically underwritten through Aviva) who will insure during and after a build.

dannie
11-14-2008, 08:47 PM
They go thru something similar. Kit cars are a little bit easier because they come with everything including a VIN. If you have a VIN from the kit company, you dont have to undergo the VIN assignment. They skip that first step.

They have to take the vehicle for an OOP and provide all extra receipts for the kit car to the registry.

Edit: Oops, sorry, I thought you were talking about process to get the car legal. Nevermind :)

bignerd
11-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by shin0bi

Best.... License plate.... EVER!

Not very original though...

510-Trevor
11-14-2008, 09:01 PM
For the obvious things like wipers, why not just install a simple compact system like this: http://www.pacificwesterndesign.com/Mighty/index.htm
And back up lights should be easy. You could even ad an additional lamp for them that you can remove later.

TomcoPDR
11-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

Kit cars usually start out as production car, with a body "kit" that looks like a more expensive/"exotic" performance vehicle.

So most of these "kit cars" are normally still registered under the original donor car's VIN, specs. Some owners don't even update change in engine size, cuz some might not wanna deal with stretching the frame anyways and getting the car completely inspected. (which looks kinda gay, a "Ferrari" kit, but 20" shorter than a real one)

2EFNFAST
11-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Kit cars usually start out as production car, with a body "kit" that looks like a more expensive/"exotic" performance vehicle.

So most of these "kit cars" are normally still registered under the original donor car's VIN, specs. Some owners don't even update change in engine size, cuz some might not wanna deal with stretching the frame anyways and getting the car completely inspected. (which looks kinda gay, a "Ferrari" kit, but 20" shorter than a real one)

Yea, but there's different types of 'kits'

some are the cheap-ass use-a-fiero chassis ones, so you keep the donors chassis and information, as you posted

others, such as factory five or superformance (and many others) build the frame and body, and you can harvest parts (e.g., suspension, fuel, etc...) from a 'donor' car (e.g., mustang), or you can just do what I do and throw on whatever the hell you want for parts.

dannie
11-14-2008, 09:52 PM
The difference is that the kit cars come with a VIN. The kind you are making isnt considered a Kit car by government standards. Its considered a homemade. So on your registration where it would normally say Chevrolet, BMW or whatever; your Make will be Homemade. The others would say Kit Car

2EFNFAST
11-14-2008, 09:59 PM
The difference is that the kit cars come with a VIN. The kind you are making isnt considered a Kit car by government standards. Its considered a homemade. So on your registration where it would normally say Chevrolet, BMW or whatever; your Make will be Homemade. The others would say Kit Car

Interesting; I did not know that. You're smart :love:

dannie
11-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Oh yeah :) lotsa talent here :D

88jbody
11-14-2008, 10:01 PM
with the fines envolved for the shop and mechanic that passes it is anything is investigated I don't know any that would take any big risks, last I heard the fine was over 20,000 for the mechanic and loosing the licence to do OOP and the shops fine was much larger, I do OOP and really I would love to pass it was just wipers, heater and reverse lights that failed, but won't risk my licence and job over it.

SR240SX
11-14-2008, 10:21 PM
If you only needed minor things to pass...I'm pretty sure you're 2-3k could fix the problems needed for it to pass...

5000Audi
11-14-2008, 10:23 PM
to the OP, why didnt you just keep the vehical under the VIN from the car thats mounted on a Tracker? chassis? could you have not done that? because then its just a modified car no?

88jbody
11-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
to the OP, why didnt you just keep the vehical under the VIN from the car thats mounted on a Tracker? chassis? could you have not done that? because then its just a modified car no? :facepalm:

5000Audi
11-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody
:facepalm:

hey its a ligit question... just wanted to know ifs its possible... didnt need a face smack!!!! but since its a cool icon its ok :clap:

badatusrnames
11-14-2008, 10:51 PM
to the OP, why didnt you just keep the vehical under the VIN from the car thats mounted on a Tracker? chassis? could you have not done that? because then its just a modified car no?

A) Get Firefox, it has built in spell check.

B) What?

Toms-SC
11-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Ah cool a Locus 7. Nice project dude!

2EFNFAST
11-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Ah cool a Locus 7. Nice project dude!

Not a LoTus 7. Cobra; a really really fast cobra :)

Cody D
11-15-2008, 02:02 AM
hey its a ligit question... just wanted to know ifs its possible... didnt need a face smack!!!! but since its a cool icon its ok :clap:

There is no original VIN because the car he is making is a completely home made car. His first picture was a joke.

Cody D
11-15-2008, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Not a LoTus 7

I believe the person you were replying to was referring to the Locust cars, not the Lotus kits.

DomesticBoy
11-16-2008, 08:24 PM
EDIT: clearly i should of read the whole thread
Ignore my post:facepalm: