PDA

View Full Version : Biometric/Fingerprint Keyless Entry Lock

dannie
11-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they reliable? Anything potential issues to worry about?

http://www.fingerprintdoorlocks.com/

01RedDX
11-14-2008, 09:55 PM

2EFNFAST
11-14-2008, 09:56 PM
I have several different models, at home and office.

The biggest positive is I don't have to carry around a key.

The biggest negative is that they seem hit or miss - what I mean by this is sometimes I have to scan my finger 5 or 6 times before it will let me in. I'm not certain why, but I guess different inflextions on the finger during scanning produce different results. The way I got around this though was putting myself about 15-20times into the database (i.e., let it learn my fingerprint once, then a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc...... time).

Sounds stupid, but before I picked up this trick of having multiple entries, sometimes I'd be locked out for minutes at a time before it would recognize me. (both the 'swipe the finger' types, and the 'press the finger' models)

For just myself, i don't mind them. if it's at home for a family, I wouldn't recommend it. If it's at home with a large office staff, then you'll need one of the really heavy duty corporate models, which may work better than the $200<->$700 ones I've played with.

dannie
11-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Its for an office, and its indoors. So I dont think there would be as many issues with the scanning of the fingers because there wouldnt be any harsh elements to deal with. Are yours outside? Where do you find them in Calgary? I have found the cheesy ones at home depot and such, but the commercial ones seem hard to find....

2EFNFAST
11-14-2008, 10:17 PM
The ones I have at home are from home depot (I think they were made by kwikset/black&decker), and 2 I borrowed from the office (hehe). Office ones I don't know where they came from - they were there when I moved in.

I don't think being outdoors affects it - the usual process is to 'scan' your finger 3 times and then your print is stored in the database.

When I did my dad's, I studied the enrollment program and noticed that quite a few times all the models would say unrecognized print (i.e., he'd scan once, then it'd ask again, he'd scan again, and it would say different print).

As I said above, the only thing I can think of is that when moving/holding your finger, if the inflection changes on it, or it's angled just slightly differently, then it will refuse to accept it. Cuts don't seem to affect its recognition ability though.

If you go keyless, I would definately recommend trying it out in person though to make certain it's something you can handle - my dad, for example, absolutely hates it.

Imho, the keypad one is easier - just make certain to program in atleast 2 possible codes, and give different people different codes - this way all the buttons are used, and you arn't able to determine the wear points

dannie
11-14-2008, 10:21 PM
I was looking at the coded locks as well, but my concern is that there will be people around that would be able to see what code the staff put in. Thats why I am thinking the biometric is the way to go.

D. Dub
11-15-2008, 06:05 PM
They take a very simple and useful concept... the lock.... and make it overly complicated and prone to failure.

HHURICANE1
11-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Mythbusters did a show with them. I'd give them a skip.

Grogador
11-15-2008, 08:52 PM
They're pretty easy to get around... go for it... just tell me where :D

revelations
11-15-2008, 08:58 PM
I bought one for the condo - from Home Depot.

It works the first time for me about 70%, though sometimes takes 2-3 swipes which almost defeats the purpose of having a key if one is thinking of time. And this is with the scanning set to "normal" instead of "high security".

I registered 3 fingers in case I get a cut on one. The system still works with oily, greasy fingers as it scans subdermal tissue.

If I had to do it again, I'd go with a keypad.

yue
11-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
They're pretty easy to get around... go for it... just tell me where :D
wipe the door knob down cuz the "key" is gonna be on it

dannie
11-16-2008, 12:51 AM
So i googled the mythbusters thing. That sucks. I guess a keypad with each staff having their own code would be easiest. Thanks for the helps guys.

2EFNFAST
11-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by dannie
So i googled the mythbusters thing. That sucks. I guess a keypad with each staff having their own code would be easiest. Thanks for the helps guys.

What mythbusters thing?

adam c
11-17-2008, 03:28 PM
easy to get around and also pointless after awhile

i used to work with these in my last job, the clients all thought they were cool but after a couple months they tossed them

they would scan other peoples finger prints cause of the oil left on the scanner, or they would be so drity and hard to clean.. but like i said and other people have mentioned, quite easy to get around if you know what you're doing

TomcoPDR
11-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they reliable? Anything potential issues to worry about?

http://www.fingerprintdoorlocks.com/

I never used one, but as an opinion after reading that it'll be for office (multi ppl usage), you might want to also consider having/needing a hand santizing bottle beside that door knob.

You know, people not washing their hands after pooping, people being sick/sneeze-cover mouth with hand, etc... And then your employees blaming it on the system, etc...

dannie
11-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

What mythbusters thing?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/252534/myth_busters_finger_print_lock/

2EFNFAST
11-18-2008, 01:49 AM

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/252534/myth_busters_finger_print_lock/

lol.

not exactly worried about somebody doing that in my office :nut:

Grogador