PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek

Pages : [1] 2

Xtrema
11-15-2008, 11:02 AM
lmJO3ppLBsk

Good trailer does not necessary mean good movie (cough: Quantum of Solace) but this blew me away.

badatusrnames
11-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I hope this is good and maybe helps to put some life back into a franchise that had become a bit stale.

Maybe a new TV series could stem from this...

Pihsiak
11-15-2008, 11:19 AM
What? no Matt Damon?

Jon Cho playing Sulu? I hope he's got the voice for it..... and where's Simon Peg?

Xtrema
11-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
What? no Matt Damon?

Jon Cho playing Sulu? I hope he's got the voice for it..... and where's Simon Peg?

The guy that said "I like this ship"

Mibz
11-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Nobody will go see this with me... I thought my friends were nerdy too....

Xtrema
11-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Mibz

Sounds like you want to start a Beyond nerd movie night? :rofl:

Inzane
11-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
What? no Matt Damon?

Thank god.

But Syler (from Heroes) is *PERFECT* for Spock!

And I've heard a lot of really good things about the guy they have playing Bones.

Isaiah
11-15-2008, 01:20 PM
The diehards will go. I only ever got into TNG. I was a fan of Quantum Leap and Scott Bakula so I tried to get in to Enterprise but it sucked. Never really got into the original.

old&slow
11-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

And I've heard a lot of really good things about the guy they have playing Bones.

Karl Urban?

ZEDGE
11-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Looks good.

SScott
11-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Looks retarded

Darkane
11-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Looks fucking brilliant.

RY213
11-16-2008, 12:20 PM
That looks fucking sick! I love it how the first part of the preview looks nothing like a Star Trek movie until Kirk says his name. I would have been amped if I was in the theater and saw this preview, yes im a nerd, I know...

The Cosworth
11-16-2008, 12:26 PM
:D

eb0i
11-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Seems like it will be decent. I used to love TNG as well and the original episodes, so hopefully this won't be disappointing.

89coupe
11-17-2008, 02:49 PM
The new trailer looks awesome!
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/large_trailer2.html

For some reason quicktime has screwed up the link to the HD versions though.

BigDannyCool
11-18-2008, 01:43 AM
looks pretty cool. I'm a fan of star trek, but i don't want to go on opening day with all those loser trekkies in their star trek shirts lining up 5 hours early.

Vagabond142
11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Mibz

*ahem*

(shyly raises hand) I'm going opening night <_<

beecue
11-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Looks pretty cool even though I have never watched a Star Trek episode. J.J. Abrams is the shit. :thumbsup:

Darkane
11-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by beecue
Looks pretty cool even though I have never watched a Star Trek episode. J.J. Abrams is the shit. :thumbsup:

The episodes are for the real fans no doubt. The movies are of a broader spectrum.

Check out Star Trek: First Contact, or Nemesis if you want a good Movie sense.

Nemesis has a 45minute space battle. How can you go wrong?

skyline19
11-19-2008, 10:12 PM
not gonna lie it looks good so ill proably see it.

beecue
02-01-2009, 02:30 AM
U6UctZRPY8Y

Superbowl spot .. looks awesome

working link...

2000_SI
02-01-2009, 10:59 AM
:thumbsup:

Vagabond142
02-01-2009, 11:05 AM
do want do want:eek: :eek:

badatusrnames
02-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Suweet, it seems like this film is going to paint the characters is a more nitty gritty, human way... not the sort of perfect "model" officers from the rest of the franchise...

Xtrema
02-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Suweet, it seems like this film is going to paint the characters is a more nitty gritty, human way... not the sort of perfect &quot;model&quot; officers from the rest of the franchise...

Kirk and co. are never model of anything. Rules are just suggestions than guidelines.

happydude
02-01-2009, 12:40 PM
This movie looks amazing. Will be going opening night. :thumbsup:

beecue
03-05-2009, 11:17 PM
muKGrlw5Ye0

new trailer .. better quality should be up tomorrow

edit: good quality .. http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

2000_SI
03-06-2009, 09:08 PM
That trailer is sooo epic...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sexualbanana
03-06-2009, 10:30 PM
bad. ass.

95EagleAWD
03-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Fuck yes.

Mibz
03-07-2009, 11:02 AM
*swoon*

rumeo
03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
:drool:

Xtrema
03-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I am not going to see this. There's no way the movie can be better than the trailers. :D

old&slow
03-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Might have to break my "no more theaters" rule....

Deetz
03-08-2009, 08:58 AM
A must see for sure!! :thumbsup:

Vagabond142
03-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Oh sweet mother of all science fiction, I bow down before thy altar of awesome in the form of Trailer 3, and pledge due diligence to see your avatar of awesomeness, aka Star Trek, om May 8 in the year 2009.

That is all.

TRANSLATION: FUCK ME WITH A PHASER, that trailer was KICK FUCKING ASS. I am SO seeing this opening night, even if I get the crap seats. I am fucking THERE.

(yes I am a geek)

riander5
03-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

(yes I am a geek)

I couldnt tell from your level 80 Blood Elf Paladin WoW bar.
On another note movie looks insane

eb0i
03-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI
That trailer is sooo epic...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Originally posted by sexualbanana
bad. ass.

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Fuck yes.

This looks fucking intense!

:drool:

Eleanor
03-09-2009, 11:11 AM
No Shatner = No Care

signature7
03-09-2009, 07:34 PM
I have never watched an episode on tv and never have seen the show, however I saw the trailer in theaters before The Watchmen came on, and it's one of the best trailers I've ever seen!

Someone who is more informed may fill me in, is this a remake? a continuation, or a new star trek with new characters?

Yes I am anoob.

kevie88
03-09-2009, 07:40 PM
It's supposed to be the beginning of the kirk/spock/uhura/chekov ect days. It's the story of how Kirk entered starfleet academy and ultimately became captain of the Enterprise.

Looks awesome! :)

BigMass
03-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
No Shatner = No Care

:werd: :werd::werd:

Xtrema
03-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by signature7
Someone who is more informed may fill me in, is this a remake? a continuation, or a new star trek with new characters?

Think Batman Begins. It's a rework/reboot/reimagine of the original Trek characters from 60's TV and 80's movies like Kevie said.

signature7
03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
sweet, so it'll create a newer fanbase for people like me and re-establish its current fanbase.

I'll check this one out in theaters.

Mibz
03-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by signature7
sweet, so it'll create a newer fanbase for people like me and re-establish it's current fanbase.Kind of. It'll create a newer fanbase who, after the movie, will watch one episode of the original series and say "What the fuck is this?". Meanwhile the Trekkies will be walking out of the theatre saying "Why the fuck did they turn Star Trek into One Tree Hill?". The distributor wins, the public loses.

Of course I'm hoping it won't be true, but let's be realistic.

01RedDX
03-09-2009, 08:56 PM

Eleanor
03-10-2009, 10:56 AM
^ Experience? :D

megavolt
03-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Been a Trek fan most of my life. Saw most of the movies on opening night (since ST3), will probably go to this one opening night too.

That being said, I've got a feeling that this one will be awesome and awful all at once. :P

beecue
05-02-2009, 12:40 PM
:eek: :drool: Just came back from screening. Sick movie! Way better than Wolverine. Only saw one guy in a uniform though, probably more opening night. If you don't see Wolverine this weekend, skip it.

Inzane
05-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by megavolt
Been a Trek fan most of my life. Saw most of the movies on opening night (since ST3),

I've got a feeling that this one will be awesome and awful all at once. :P

I'm eagerly awaiting it. I've been a bit of a trekkie since ~78-79 myself.

That said.... I'm a bit worried they've #*@&'d with continuity. The feature villain(s) in this one is supposedly a group of Romulans, and anyone who was familiar with the original series knows that no humans (or vulcans for that matter) had ever SEEN a Romulan until that early episode in the series when they had their first encounter.
:dunno:

Xtrema
05-02-2009, 11:22 PM
That said.... I'm a bit worried they've #*@&amp;'d with continuity. The feature villain(s) in this one is supposedly a group of Romulans, and anyone who was familiar with the original series knows that no humans (or vulcans for that matter) had ever SEEN a Romulan until that early episode in the series when they had their first encounter.

You won't enjoy the movie if you're hanging onto old Trek.

Think alternative universe where everything is different and future not set yet. Everything in the past 30 years does not apply.

BigMass
05-03-2009, 12:21 AM
It's going to be a cold day in Hell the day JJ Abrams or Michael Bay make a good movie

Cos
05-03-2009, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
It's going to be a cold day in Hell the day JJ Abrams or Michael Bay make a good movie

uhhhhhhh :dunno:

Kavy
05-03-2009, 02:17 AM

Just a quick list:

Michael Bay - Bad Boys, Armageddon, Transformers, The Rock, Pearl Harbor, The Island

JJ Abrams - Armageddon, Forever Young, Lost, Fringe, Joy Ride, MI3

Personally all of those entertained me, except for fringe.

And on a side note, this is in IMAX? Jesus yes

:clap:

sexualbanana
05-03-2009, 02:59 AM

That said.... I'm a bit worried they've #*@&amp;'d with continuity. The feature villain(s) in this one is supposedly a group of Romulans, and anyone who was familiar with the original series knows that no humans (or vulcans for that matter) had ever SEEN a Romulan until that early episode in the series when they had their first encounter.

I like Star Trek, but apparently not as much as you as I don't care that much about the who continuity thing, but since I had nothing else to do, I decided to look it up online (simply because there's such a cult-like following of the show, I don't think they would fuck up something as important to the series as a whole like the timeline).

According to what I've found (granted it's Wikipedia, so it's possible it's all wrong):
- The original series spans the years 2207 - 2212. I think it's safe to assume the new movie, then, takes place around 2206.
Reference: Timeline of Star Trek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek#Early_chronologies)
- According to another article, first contact with the Romulans took in 2152, with the Romulan War starting in 2156.
Romulans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romulans)

So really, I might have actually proven your point since they say a lot of this stuff happened through just audio contact. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in because it was a lot of reading.

sexualbanana
05-03-2009, 03:01 AM
Oh, and Star Trek Enterprise took place in the 2150's and I think there was Romulan contact in that series.

Vagabond142
05-03-2009, 04:23 AM
From what I can gather, the Romulans in this movie are actually from the future. Yes, good ol Trek time travel :D

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to this.... gonna be there at 12 noon at Sunridge to see this XD (happy geeky bouncing about) :D

berbatov
05-03-2009, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
No Shatner = No Care
Although he is a tested Shakespearean theatre actor, most review him / his deliveries in the role of Captain Kirk as amateur and stiff.
I recall reading about the first series and although William was the instant recognizable face associated with the series, Leonard Nimoy was the one that was getting most of the praise as an accomplished actor and the more talented of the two.

What about you, what attracts you about Shatner ? :)

beecue
05-03-2009, 11:07 AM
From what I can gather, the Romulans in this movie are actually from the future. Yes, good ol Trek time travel :D

You are correct. :)

Well I hope you aren't going to watch probably the 2 best movies of the summer. :rolleyes:

J.J. Abrams is awesome! Lost, Fringe and Alias. :drool:

Inzane
05-03-2009, 11:41 AM
According to what I've found (granted it's Wikipedia, so it's possible it's all wrong):
- The original series spans the years 2207 - 2212. I think it's safe to assume the new movie, then, takes place around 2206.
Reference: Timeline of Star Trek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Star_Trek#Early_chronologies)
- According to another article, first contact with the Romulans took in 2152, with the Romulan War starting in 2156.
Romulans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romulans)

So really, I might have actually proven your point since they say a lot of this stuff happened through just audio contact.

In the episode I referred to they made a point of mentioning there was no prior ship-to-ship visual contact despite there being a whole war that had taken place previously (for a previous generation... some crew members' parents had been involved in the war). When they first lay eyes on the Romulans even Spock is surprised that they have pointed ears. Apparently not even the Vulcans knew that the Romulans and Vulcans looked similar.

The other thing this new movie probably messes with is the history of Captains. From the trailers, it shows the Enterprise being built, and I know Capt. Christopher Pike is in the movie. (the captain prior to KirK) But I wonder if they are going to completely ignore the captain before Pike ---> Robert April.

sexualbanana
05-03-2009, 09:27 PM

In the episode I referred to they made a point of mentioning there was no prior ship-to-ship visual contact despite there being a whole war that had taken place previously (for a previous generation... some crew members' parents had been involved in the war). When they first lay eyes on the Romulans even Spock is surprised that they have pointed ears. Apparently not even the Vulcans knew that the Romulans and Vulcans looked similar.

The other thing this new movie probably messes with is the history of Captains. From the trailers, it shows the Enterprise being built, and I know Capt. Christopher Pike is in the movie. (the captain prior to KirK) But I wonder if they are going to completely ignore the captain before Pike ---&gt; Robert April.

Yeah, I realized that when I was doing all that reading. I was like 'I think I just proved his point.' lol

BigMass
05-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Kavy

Just a quick list:

Michael Bay - Bad Boys, Armageddon, Transformers, The Rock, Pearl Harbor, The Island

JJ Abrams - Armageddon, Forever Young, Lost, Fringe, Joy Ride, MI3

i rest my case. They all suck

Vagabond142
05-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Got my tix... 7:05 tonight woooooo! Will post a spoiler free, :thumbsup: or :thumbsdow only review when I get back from the showing :D

b_t
05-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Got my tix... 7:05 tonight woooooo! Will post a spoiler free, :thumbsup: or :thumbsdow only review when I get back from the showing :D

tickets!? how? Did it open today?

beecue
05-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Yeah showings at 7 and 10 tonight. I don't know why they kept advertising it for Friday. 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm going to watch it again tomorrow. :thumbsup:

BigMass
05-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah showings at 7 and 10 tonight. I don't know why they kept advertising it for Friday. 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm going to watch it again tomorrow. :thumbsup:

stop paying attention to Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB back in 1999 when every 12 year old kid started getting internet access and $50/week allowances to go to every shit movie that came out.

Cos
05-07-2009, 05:03 PM

stop paying attention to Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB back in 1999 when every 12 year old kid started getting internet access and $50/week allowances to go to every shit movie that came out.

why do you continue to come in this thread if all you want to do is shit on everything.

:nut:

beecue
05-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Good for you. I hope you aren't going to waste your time watching this since it's not going to be good anyways right.

dino_martini
05-07-2009, 08:41 PM
I bought my tickets for tomorrw at 3pm.

BigMass
05-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Cos

why do you continue to come in this thread if all you want to do is shit on everything.

:nut:

because it deserves to be shat on :rofl:

B4tMan
05-07-2009, 09:01 PM
when is it out ? may 7 ?

Vagabond142
05-07-2009, 09:55 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Holy

FUCKING

SHIT!!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I absolutely LOVE what Abrams has done with Star Trek.

This is spoilered because there is a slight hint to the story in this next paragraph
He turns the whole universe upside down, so that his storyline is in an alternate timeline from the established universe. In story canon, this means that he has his own universe to play in while the established 45+ years of Star Trek that already exist remains intact and respected. The biggest point... a major planet getting eaten

Also, Zachary Quinto pulls off an amazing Spock. To all the early nay sayers, he definitely has the chops and does a brilliant job.

The movie is funny, action packed, dramatic and emotional, all in about 2 hours. Excellent movie, best one of the year so far

bashir26
05-07-2009, 10:54 PM
^ I really enjoyed watching it. There was never a dull moment.

I wonder if they will be making a second movie?

beecue
05-07-2009, 11:00 PM
^ Yeah they have already started to try and get it ready for 2011 summer release.

Vagabond142
05-07-2009, 11:14 PM
The way it ended, it had BETTER have a sequel

beecue
05-07-2009, 11:17 PM
:werd: It hasn't even started yet! :D Anyone buy tickets online recently? Do you actually have to print them? I just bought some for tomorrow night.

hks
05-08-2009, 12:32 AM
:werd: It hasn't even started yet! :D Anyone buy tickets online recently? Do you actually have to print them? I just bought some for tomorrow night.

yep, i printed mine out. the lady at the stand just scanned them and we walked right in. we went to the 9:55 showing and it wasn't even that packed :dunno:

the guy from heroes was an amazing spock, he had the best performance in the movie.

boydxxl
05-08-2009, 03:48 AM
cool, i love it.

Vagabond142
05-08-2009, 09:08 AM
I also like the fact that they made the bowels of the ship actually LOOK functional, dirty, worked in. Like the shuttlebay has fuel tubes, locking clamps, etc. And the engineering section has giant turbines and tight catwalks and big water transportation tubes. It just LOOKS functional :D I liked that touch a lot

bashir26
05-08-2009, 10:18 AM
lol how did it end again?

rumeo
05-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Spock uses future Spock's ship to crash into the Ramulan's ship and activate red matter to suck it into the black hole and they blast away at it. Then Kirk gets promoted to permanent captain and adds Spock as his first mate.

What an awesome movie!

Xtrema
05-08-2009, 03:10 PM
I also like the fact that they made the bowels of the ship actually LOOK functional, dirty, worked in. Like the shuttlebay has fuel tubes, locking clamps, etc. And the engineering section has giant turbines and tight catwalks and big water transportation tubes. It just LOOKS functional :D I liked that touch a lot

I don't think I like that design too much. A ship should be more compact and not like a power plant.

But great movie none of the less. The way they work in the old sound effect is cool.

Kritafo
05-08-2009, 04:10 PM
I won tickets to the preview Wednesday evening....I am a fan, I loved this one.

They did a good job getting the character traits down.

Thought Chris Pine did a great job of Kirk as did Quinto for Spock....I think this will be a great introduction to a new generation of watchers.

Loved Cho doing Sulu, but I kept thinking he would break out of character...lol!

Since I am a huge fan I was very happy to see Nimoy in the film, someone needs to get him some new false teeth though! The movie definitely left me wanting more.

dino_martini
05-08-2009, 07:02 PM
So Good. Loved this movie. Probably my favorite movie so far in 09'. We went to the 3pm showing at Chinook and it was packed. If your going...go early to get good seats.

beecue
05-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Just watched it a 2nd time. :thumbsup:

My friend who has watched all of Star Trek except quitting on Enterprise thought it was great. Including the modern version of the old soundtrack, thought Kirk was better because Shatner was a bit over the top and that McCoy was great as well.

Only saw 4 people dressed up during the two times I watched. :(

BokCh0y
05-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Just saw it tonight...

WOW!!!! Fucking rocked!!!!!!

Very well done, great story line. Stoked and wanting more!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

b_t
05-09-2009, 02:57 AM
Saw it tonight. It ruled, hard. Loved it. Really excited for what's to come now too..

Super_Geo
05-09-2009, 07:27 PM
I've never seen an episode of Star Trek, wasn't aware a movie was coming out.

Saw it and it was fucking awesome! Way better than Wolverine by far, will probably be the best movie I see this year!

Hakkola
05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah, best movie I've seen in quite awhile.

anhsicun
05-10-2009, 11:21 AM
i never watch any star trek or any star wars alike movies before as it not my genre of movies to watch. so i made a acception for this one since everyone says it was great movie, even tho u have never fallow star trek before. overall it was alright movie i guess im just not the space ship galaxy war movie fan, so as my g/f she fell alseep half way lol. anyone who decideds to go see it tho go early like atleast 40 mins i went to the 10 35 pm show at chinook , got thier at 10 and 70% of the seats were filled.

l/l/rX
05-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Im not a star trek fan at all but that movie I enjoyed.
It was quite humorous at the beggining which made it fun.

kevie88
05-10-2009, 11:52 PM
saw it today.. awesome movie!

I've been a closet trekkie my whole life and I loved this movie.. it was a really cool re-boot of the series. Go see it!

JordanEG6
05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
I've seen a few Star Trk episodes and I found the few to be quite boring. I can say I mos def am not a fan of the series.

But this movie was really well done. Casting was excellent, well written and stayed to true to it's Trekkie nature - "I'm a doctor, not a...." quotes or "live long and prosper" etc.

The movie was action packed all the way and had plenty of comic relief. All in all, it was very very well done. I enjoyed the movie alot.

And the appearance of Leonard Nemoy was a plus too.

The alternate parallel timeline was pretty clever as well, it opens up new possibilities for sequels.

JMaj7
05-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I used to watch Star Trek on public Tv in Pakistan when I was a teenager. It was all that was on really (along with Charles in Charge, Different Strokes and other old shows). I loved the movie. It engages you throughout the whole movie and the characters are developed very well. The guy with the accent was fucking annoying though. I couldn't understand him at all.

Xtrema
05-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by JMaj7
The guy with the accent was fucking annoying though. I couldn't understand him at all.

That mimics original Chekov. But it come out as making fun of Russian accent.

95teetee
05-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

That mimics original Chekov. But it come out as making fun of Russian accent. the accent kind of got to me too- the ironic thing is that the actor (Anton Yelchin) is Russian-born:D

damn good movie though- my favorite exchange-
"I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals"
"well...not only"
:rofl:

sexualbanana
05-11-2009, 11:27 PM

That's because it's a fully functional Budweiser brewery.

95teetee
05-12-2009, 07:51 AM

That's because it's a fully functional Budweiser brewery. so that's where the bars get the 'Budweiser Classic' from:)

Xtrema
05-13-2009, 10:30 PM
oh snap

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892