PDA

View Full Version : Removing deoderant residue build up from shirts

cycosis
11-15-2008, 04:31 PM
I currently use gilette clear gel deoderant and its been leaving a build up of residue in the fabric of my workout shirts.

Anyone else have this problem and does anyone have any techniques on how to remove it? Ive tried various tain remover products but none of them work.

Pacman
11-16-2008, 01:54 AM
is it deodorant or antiperspirant?

I switched from antiperspirant to regular deodorant as I found it was staining my dress shirts after only wearing them a few times. After switching, I haven't had the problem.

I recall reading that it has something to do with the aluminum salts that causes the staining.

Kritafo
11-16-2008, 01:58 AM
oxi clean soak them over night, or try dishwasher soap in hot water.

badatusrnames
11-16-2008, 02:07 AM
Yeah I've had quite a few shirts ruined by antiperspirants over the years.

I've found they only way to somewhat remove the yellowing is to scrub the affected area from the inside of the shirt with a fairly stiff brush and whatever cleaner you're comfortable using on the shirt - the stronger the better. I've never tried it, but I've heard vinegar works.

You'll likely never get it all out though. That's why I switched to Drysol, which is a prescription strength antiperspirant that you put on as a liquid solution once or twice a week before you go to bed. Which means no messy gooey gel antiperspirants that sort of work to put on every morning and it also means that my armpits are now always bone dry.

Proyecto2000
11-16-2008, 11:00 AM
I use a concentrated cleaner called "eze-OUT", works really well to get the yellowish deoderant stains out.

yue
11-16-2008, 11:05 AM
have you tried using a stick instead of a gel? i never have stains on my gym shirts and i use the stick

em2ab
11-16-2008, 11:19 AM
How do you guys find deoderant in comparison to anti-perspirant? Almost every one of my t-shirts are fucked.

V6-BoI
11-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Anti perspirant sucked in my opinion. I used to use the gillette clear sticks, but now I switch to the axe spray. I really didn't like the stick, but the spray seems to work for me.

Lagerstatten.ca
11-19-2008, 04:27 PM
I just wear an undershirt under my dress shirts. 2 for 25 bucks at The Gap. Thin enough that it doesn't bunch up underneath your dress shirt. Once they stain, just reuse them to dry your car, or just chuck them out.

Hakkola
11-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Which means no messy gooey gel antiperspirants that sort of work to put on every morning and it also means that my armpits are now always bone dry.

That doesn't sound like it would be healthy. :dunno:

badatusrnames
11-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

That doesn't sound like it would be healthy. :dunno:

You're right, it is something up for debate will all antiperspirants, basically all it does is deliver the active ingredient in on the shelf antiperspirants (Aluminum salts) in a stronger concentration. I'm just not sure how much of the aluminum applied topically is absorbed through the skin and into the bloodstream.

You do have to use it quite often at first to build up a sort of a base, but afterward I only need to apply it once a week versus daily for the regular stuff, so I'm not sure if your overall exposure is greater or less..