PDA

View Full Version : Halkbana for Swedish Drivers.

randedge
11-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Tell me everything you know about the Halkbana.

Specifically, how often do you have to take it? Is it something done every two years?

Mikko
11-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Crazy. I come back to read a bit after years, and then I spot this topic. Why do you ask this on here? Some kind of assignment for school?

Halkbana = Halk (slip) bana (course/track). Slippery track.

Short: It's a basic instruction to driving on very low traction surfaces. One usually only needs to take it once. To even apply for a drivers license road test one must be certified to have taken and passed the course and an unrelated enormous driving theory test. It teaches some basics on how to react to oversteer/unstable car/how to brake with and without ABS and how to do some tricky avoidance maneuver at speeds. But perhaps most of all it is aimed to give people insight into their huge lack of skill in handling cars in such conditions, which should affect into their attitudes. I hear they use real ice in the winter months instead of the 'lift kit' thing.

Long: I'll tell you about my own experiences from 2001-2002 or whenever it was I went through it.

It was summer. A retired airfield. Hot. A briefing with some instructor, then taken out to the course in two groups of 3 students + 1 teacher each, all seated in one sedan each (Volvo S40 + some Mikkobishi car).

The car had attachments near each wheel corner, similar to how some childrens' bikes have support wheels to keep them from falling over. They could be extended down into the ground controlled from inside the car. If they did this (and they were not directional - could freely roll in any direction), then the main tires would have less pressure against the ground = worsened traction.

The course was a straight, with near the end there was two lines painted on the ground - first on the right, then another 10 meters or so one on the left. These represented obstacles to be avoided. After this, there was a light-bulb shaped U-turn (kind of) where oversteer could be played around with. Then a straight parallel to the first one back to the starting point.

Driver showed the different steps and explained. Braking hard in a straight line with and without ABS (not always so stable when slippery, the rear can snake a bit, especially with a car full of people). What to do if the rear steps out when you are turning. Then how to avoid the two obstacles (called them elks or mooses, pretty funny as they were lines) from 50 and 55km/h (with only a very short distance to slow down and then turn, it being very damned slippery).

Then we took turns in the drivers seat, with all students + instructor still in the car at all times.

The other two sucked. One especially (some woman who was probably about 30, seemed middle eastern) who spun out violently when even trying to just brake fast. First time I've ever smelled burned rubber.. and a lot of it (got sucked into the car).

The last part was doing the avoidance test without ABS at first 50km/h (a very modest real world speed, isn't it? And this on a straight wide road). Then again at 55km/h.

The other two spun out violently - I'm talking about major accidents. The one guy slid sideways over a line, and even whilst still in motion, he said without emotion "oh no.. I hit a moose." Funny stuff. Raising the speed to 55 was even worse.

During my time in the car I had some discussions about physics and driving techniques with the instructor. Seems I was the only one who knew anything of the students.

I passed 50km/h, then the 55km/h which apparently most don't, and the instructor was in general very impressed with my performance and gave me an extra go to see 'what I could do' at about 73-74km/h, which I passed (although it was damned close). I was told I was very skilled and could essentially come work there anytime.

It was fun. Boosted my ego a bit to see the instructors reactions/comments. But it did scare me as to how grim it looks for most drivers out there making it out some incident like that without a wreck.

I don't think it makes people overconfident, as it doesn't really teach them more than some basics, and shows them how much they suck at the end.

EDIT: I almost forgot - during the session, I saw the other car spin out of control and go through tire walls into a track where they were training with motorcycles. And it was on a straight... Maybe the instructor suddenly lifted the rear or something to make the car unstable.

badatusrnames
11-16-2008, 07:41 PM
^^ Listen to you mister pro drive j/k :D

But really, why the hell don't we have that here? It would make winter roads so much safer for everyone for people to actually get experience with how a vehicle reacts on low traction surfaces in a controlled environment instead of learning in traffic.

Mikko
11-16-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm just a desk racer, big fan of racing sims! They're so realistic (even back then) that it applies in the real world too.

If there's one thing that *really* is needed for the north americans and this test, it's letting them have a go in first a car, then an SUV. I get the impression people in USA and Canada truly believe that high weight and ride height is better instead of worse for slippery surfaces. And they wouldn't warn them ahead of time either, just let people try it and then let them get caught ramming over all the obstacles and off the track.

randedge
11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the answers Mikko!

To answer your question: yes, it's somewhat an assignment.

I'm writing about exactly what basatusrnames is wondering: How come we don't get that here?

Originally posted by badatusrnames
^ Listen to you mister pro drive j/k :D

But really, why the hell don't we have that here? It would make winter roads so much safer for everyone for people to actually get experience with how a vehicle reacts on low traction surfaces in a controlled environment instead of learning in traffic.