PDA

View Full Version : Older Lexus's

mrcoolawesome
11-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know anything about mid 90's Lexus, how reliable are they etc?

I'm trying to find one for sale with low (under 150k) mileage, but they seem to be few and far between.

If anyone knows of any or comes across one, doessn't matter which model, GS, ES, LS, please let me know.

buh_buh
11-16-2008, 01:44 PM
My dad's got a '92 and a '97 LS400, and they have both been very good. The '92 has over 400 000kms and he's had it since day 1 and its had no real major repairs until recently, and I don't think the '97s had any major repairs at all and its got close to 200 000kms.

CelicaST-162
11-16-2008, 01:53 PM
These cars are the ones to name a few that are the epitome of Toyota quality! The ES is the same platform as the Toyota Camry....So if you're looking for info, the Camry would be an excellent resource as well.

mrcoolawesome
11-16-2008, 03:56 PM
I like the ES300 very much but it seems impossible to find one with low mileage.

dj_rice
11-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Have you tried looking for one in the States?

ercchry
11-16-2008, 04:06 PM
i have a celsior (ls400) i've only had it for a little while but so far so good, the last owner did a few small things like replaced a air strut, water pump, that sort of stuff but over all it is an awesome car. built like a tank too!

mrcoolawesome
11-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Have you tried looking for one in the States?
No I haven't. Do you mean eBay?

Kloubek
11-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Lexus is one of the best quality cars you can buy. For a 90's car, you'll be hard pressed to find better.

ercchry
11-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by mrcoolawesome

No I haven't. Do you mean eBay?

or... autotrader?

gs300 (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=252763959&dealer_id=63396385&car_year=1994&rdm=1226875249926&model=GS_MODELSCLASS_SERIES&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=LEXUS&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=100000&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=90210&advanced=y&end_year=1996&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=21)

dj_rice
11-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Ebay, Autotrader, nbaker00 vehicle sourcing perhaps

revelations
11-16-2008, 07:28 PM
What, a Bugatti Veyron wasnt enough of a vehicle to you? :burnout:

Sprockett
11-16-2008, 07:55 PM
I would say if you are going to buy an older Lexus, make sure you are not buying at the top of you price range. While these cars are reliable, if and when something does need replacing you will pay a lot for Lexus parts. Most (all?) cannot be ordered through the Toyota dealers, they make sure you order through Lexus so you pay the Lexus tax. This is just my experience from a early 90s LS400. And things wear out on old cars no matter how well built they are.

mrcoolawesome
11-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

or... autotrader?

gs300 (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=252763959&dealer_id=63396385&car_year=1994&rdm=1226875249926&model=GS_MODELSCLASS_SERIES&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=LEXUS&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=100000&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=90210&advanced=y&end_year=1996&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=21)
Hey thanks I didn't know about an American Auto Trader. I would have to get it shipped though, no?

Originally posted by Sprockett
I would say if you are going to buy an older Lexus, make sure you are not buying at the top of you price range. While these cars are reliable, if and when something does need replacing you will pay a lot for Lexus parts. Most (all?) cannot be ordered through the Toyota dealers, they make sure you order through Lexus so you pay the Lexus tax. This is just my experience from a early 90s LS400. And things wear out on old cars no matter how well built they are.
Is that right? Would you still recommend it or would you suggest looking into a newer, less expensive car?

Sprockett
11-16-2008, 08:51 PM
It depends what you are considering buying a Lexus for in the first place. In a Lexus you get features, quality and the name (status). But you pay for all this, simple as that I suppose.

If your budget allows for $8,000 max and you go out a buy a $8000, 200,000kms Lexus and a couple months an upper ball joint is knocking. You find out it's $500 just for the part because the ball joint is one peice with the entire upper A-Arm and there is zero aftermarket support.

Or maybe the waterpump goes and you everyone quotes you about 9 hours labour book time before parts because it involves tearing down the entire front half of of the motor just like doing the timing belt.

Or maybe the AC Compressor goes and looking around it's about $600 for a aftermarket ebay unit (or $1400 for the Denso unit the dealer) plus the labour to replace because discharging an AC system is not actually a do it yourself job.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to scare you necessarily but I believe people should be realistic with the purchase of any old vehicle. It is just as likely that you you'll drive the thing for another 5 years without any work besides oil changes...but you never know :)

mrcoolawesome
11-16-2008, 08:56 PM
It depends what you are considering buying a Lexus for in the first place. In a Lexus you get features, quality and the name (status). But you pay for all this, simple as that I suppose.

If your budget allows for $8,000 max and you go out a buy a $8000, 200,000kms Lexus and a couple months an upper ball joint is knocking. You find out it's $500 just for the part because the ball joint is one peice with the entire upper A-Arm and there is zero aftermarket support.

Or maybe the waterpump goes and you everyone quotes you about 9 hours labour book time before parts because it involves tearing down the entire front half of of the motor just like doing the timing belt.

Or maybe the AC Compressor goes and looking around it's about $600 for a aftermarket ebay unit (or $1400 for the Denso unit the dealer) plus the labour to replace because discharging an AC system is not actually a do it yourself job.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to scare you necessarily but I believe people should be realistic with the purchase of any old vehicle. It is just as likely that you you'll drive the thing for another 5 years without any work besides oil changes...but you never know :)
That's true and besides any newer vehicle can breakdown just as well. If I was to get an older Lexus, which model would you recommend, keep in mind it will be my daily driver.

RZRSHARP_SVX
11-16-2008, 09:01 PM
I would say the ES300 would be your best bet better support with parts and nice and reliable

from my expirence they are a better bet.

as far as parts same engine as camry so interchangable with aftermarket support

Redlyne_mr2
11-16-2008, 09:03 PM

Exactly it's still a car and a car with that mileage will need repairs sooner or later.

mrcoolawesome
11-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by RZRSHARP_SVX
I would say the ES300 would be your best bet better support with parts and nice and reliable

from my expirence they are a better bet.

as far as parts same engine as camry so interchangable with aftermarket support
The only thing I don't much like about them is the two-tone paint, but that's definitely not the end of the world.

Xtrema
11-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Newer Camry > Older ES300 if you're not going for the branding.

And holy posts/day count.

Sprockett
11-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Two-tone rocks :)
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u24/ryansclarkcar/Celsior/DSC01884.jpg

mrcoolawesome
11-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Newer Camry > Older ES300 if you're not going for the branding.

And holy posts/day count.
I'm not a fan of Toyota brand cars. As for the post/day, I have kind of become addicted to this forum since I discovered it, I think it's a great forum though, extremely helpful.

shadowz
11-17-2008, 12:22 AM
I had a 90 ls400 with 298k ran great, no issues great fuel mileage