PDA

View Full Version : Can I simply take the unit out?

netvestors
11-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I have taken my command start out, it's black with no numbers or any id on it. On the board inside it says command start 1997. Iit has 2 lighting bolts on the front.
The remote is a Cs 555

Here is the challenge, a couple of years ago the system tried repeatedly to start during the winter. It flooded the engine so badly, it filled the oil pan with gas, we had to replace the head gaskets, fuel assemble and the injector rings. I shut off the system using the switch after this happened.

The red light on the dash continued to blink, resently the car has begun to sputter and stall, there is a clicking noise coming from the driver side window, and clicking from under the dash.

My question is there any way to take the system out without having to rewire the car. I live on a small Island off Victoria and cannot get the car off island the way it is.

Any help would be appreciated, I do not have any manuals or info on the unit.

Thanks in advance
Ken

97'Scort
11-16-2008, 07:54 PM
I might be able to help. I'd need to know what kind of car it is, and, if necessary, how to get to the island.

netvestors
11-16-2008, 07:59 PM
The car is a 1993 Pontiac Grand Prix.

tabouli
11-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Hmmm ....

While my advice may not be relevant, I have similar experience with a newer model Grand Am. The car needed wiring work to be re-done, as you couldn't just physically remove the unit without consequence.

:dunno:

97'Scort
11-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by netvestors
The car is a 1993 Pontiac Grand Prix.
The car will need to be re-wired but the unit can be removed. Let me see what I can dig up for you.

Strugari
11-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Unless the installer screwed up the wiring during the install, rewiring is not necessary. You should be able to unplug the unit and remove the wiring from the command start without rewiring the car. Most command starts are only tied into the ignition wires, tach, brake, lights, and lock wires.

97'Scort
11-16-2008, 09:11 PM
^ Yeah, that's what I mean by "rewired". Hopefully the OP did too.