PDA

View Full Version : Please educate me in good Vietnamese food...

Pages : [1] 2

bignerd
11-17-2008, 02:38 AM
Okay so I'm a white person who is hooked on Vietnamese food.

I love it, seriously if I don't have a sub or noodles or something at least once a week I think I die a little inside.

I'm posting this since someone mentioned Saigon Y2K in another thread and I eat there, regularly and at Vietnam Fortune since these are close to my work. I would love to find even better places to eat since it seems that Saigon is not very highly regarded...

I love love love the vermicelli with pork, spring rolls, the satays, some of the curries... beef subs(I know need to go to Thi Thi but it is out of my way-next time I am downtown), salad rolls etc. etc .

Getting hungry now just writing this post.

van
11-17-2008, 08:33 AM
The consenus is the dirtier the place the better the food tastes ha ha ha.

adam c
11-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by van

that's more chinese food than vietnamese

Idratherbsidewayz
11-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by van

Originally posted by adam c

that's more chinese food than vietnamese

And as a warning, this does not apply in Hamilton... :barf:

yue
11-17-2008, 09:17 AM
if i were you i would just make it at home. start small, vermicelli dishes are one of the easiest. if you want, pm me and i will send you my mom's recipe for fish sauce and where she buys her spring rolls.
you will laugh at yourself when you see how much it costs you to make at home compared to how much you spend in a restaurant.

supe
11-17-2008, 09:24 AM
I think some of the best vietnamese food is on 17th SE, thats where you'll find a lot of the authentic foods.

Go to My Xuan Deli for a killer vietnamese sub, and I like pho Binh Minh for everything else.

adam c
11-17-2008, 09:29 AM
the thing with viet is it's hit and miss, some people will love a place while some people will say nothing but bad things about it...

you gotta decide for yourself

personally i love Le Da but you won't find many people on here that do

SpoonEG6
11-17-2008, 09:54 AM
oriental phoenix FTW!!! There's one in Gulf Square

adam c
11-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by SpoonEG6

:barf:

have you ever eaten vietnamese before?

Grogador
11-17-2008, 10:12 AM
If you're ever at T&T near Marlborough Mall, check out the food court. There's a decent Vietnamese sub place in the NW corner, deeeelicious Rheo/Rhio u-pick BBQ type place next to it, and a decent (nothing to write home about but...) Vietnamese sit-down place in the other direction. Also a big Chinese food "deli" type place waaay opposite that. Yum!

DJ_NAV
11-17-2008, 10:27 AM
A must try is Pho So #1 and Pho Kim... both on 16th ave and centre st.

em2ab
11-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Another one of these threads? There's at least 3 other ones....

GQNammer
11-17-2008, 10:29 AM
There's a little vietnamese sub place across the street from the T&T supermarket in marlborough. Same owners as pho xuan. All their subs are only $3.50 each and they taste great! You can get a combo (any sub, salad rolls, pop) for only $7.50! Most places cost you $7.50 for just the sub. I forgot what the deli is called but it's a few stores down from Humpty's

cityhunter2501
11-17-2008, 10:37 AM
the thing with viet is it's hit and miss, some people will love a place while some people will say nothing but bad things about it...

personally i love Le Da but you won't find many people on here that do

Le Da i usually go only when im high with a buddy and we order their pho, spring rolls, ice coffee and avocado shake. not really my favourite for pho though

in down town, I would say the best ones are
pho hoai - my viet friend doesnt like it though, so havent been there in months
pho pastuer - pretty good, but its in chinatown so doubt we will go there over winter
pho thanh truc - right on 7th ave, in front of the bay, its a block from my office so this is where we always go, 10$ for soup but I love their sate

pho kim - best overall viet, go there atleast once a month
pho dau bo - in forest lawn but they make the best nuc beo (sp?) in town IMO
pho so 1 - used to be good, their tendon servings are awesome but havent been in months.

Speedy
11-17-2008, 10:46 AM
As another white guy totally hooked on Vietnamese, I love Quyhn in sunridge next to the movie theaters. Super clean, cheap, wicked nice there and awesome food.

I also really like Saigon Pearl just north of Beddington next to the T&T supermarket also super clean, great food and very nice staff.

My only criticism of these places is sometimes the food comes out too fast...seriously the apps and meals come out like 2 mins after you order it...not a place to go if your looking for a long dinner with a conversation lol

adam c
11-17-2008, 10:48 AM
^^

Pho dau bo is my favorite by far but i still love le da
i haven't been to any in DT yet even though there's some close to me (Ha Long Bay and thanh truc) right across the street.. I want to go to them but hate eating at the places alone

Golden bell on macleod across from chinook has some good pho as well...

pho bin minh on 17th.. my ex loved that place, me not so much

oriental phoenix... don't even go there:barf:
and of course, every non vietnamese eating white person goes to bagolac

and then there's also Saigon Y2K which is also :barf:
there's another one I used to goto
Vietnamese Village on 64th in the NE wasn't too bad, there is another one across 64th on the west side of deerfoot in the strip mall that's pretty decent

cityhunter2501
11-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Speedy
As another white guy totally hooked on Vietnamese, I love Quyhn in sunridge next to the movie theaters. Super clean, cheap, wicked nice there and awesome food.

I also really like Saigon Pearl just north of Beddington next to the T&T supermarket also super clean, great food and very nice staff.

My only criticism of these places is sometimes the food comes out too fast...seriously the apps and meals come out like 2 mins after you order it...not a place to go if your looking for a long dinner with a conversation lol

asian restaurants was never meant to be for long dinner/date/conversation.
its sit, eat, gtfo :rofl:

DJ_NAV
11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Whenever I've been out for chinese food with my chinese buddies.. it takes 2-3 hours.... and its obvious that everyone lovesto talk as its SOOO LOUD in these restaurants...I dont care about the noise.... but viet places are usually quick.

Stunt66
11-17-2008, 11:26 AM

:werd: You're gonna get a lot of mixed reviews on here. If you're only after vermicelli then stick to the cleaner places, the vermicelli at the dirty places normally sucks but the pho is good. I never get vermicelli but my wife really likes it at pho dau bo but that place is pretty deep in the ghetto.

JDMMAN
11-17-2008, 11:47 AM
pho pastuer - hands down best Vietnamese spring rolls I've ever had. :thumbsup: Most other Vietnamese restaurants get their spring rolls from a distributor. I think pho pastuer is the only place in Calgary does home made spring rolls.

SpoonEG6
11-17-2008, 12:00 PM

:barf:

have you ever eaten vietnamese before?

Yes, i have and i dont think its gross. I love the food there.

max_boost
11-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501

asian restaurants was never meant to be for long dinner/date/conversation.
its sit, eat, gtfo :rofl:

thxs and qft

unless if it's a nice nice asian restaurant, seriarsly, some of you guys expect too much. there's a reason why your bill comes out to $20+tax and not double/triple/quadruple that

anyway, sunny's in chinatown for consistently good pho. just down the street from the house so always go there on the weekends.

pho dau bo on 17th ave is awesome but out of my way. isn't le da in that complex too? that's 3 pho restaurants including noodle world. :drool:

adam c
11-17-2008, 12:03 PM
yea those are all there

i keep wanting to try noodle world but everytime i go there, dau bo grabs me in for some sate

GQBalla
11-17-2008, 12:19 PM
^^^ for noodle world i don't like their pho.
they are better for Rice and stuff.

same as le da their rice is good.

for me i always go to dau bo when im in ghetto 17th.

pho 88 is pretty decent their spring rolls are really good.

pho hoai in that ghetto mall underneath old treasures of china is really good too.

sunnys isn't that good imo

pho kim go there sometimes is a safe bet, always consistent.

hoa pho or whatever its called by the golds gym in northgate is also pretty good and clean.

pho xuan has gone down since theyve first opened.

pho so 1, any of the saigon y2ks, are gross

i still have to go to rang dong but never can seem to go since dau bo is so much closer.

USHER
11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
is there any places that make their deep fried spring rolls with rice paper?

BigDannyCool
11-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by USHER

the only one i know of is Le Da

nj2Type-S
11-17-2008, 01:17 PM
^^

Pho dau bo is my favorite by far but i still love le da
i haven't been to any in DT yet even though there's some close to me (Ha Long Bay and thanh truc) right across the street.. I want to go to them but hate eating at the places alone

Golden bell on macleod across from chinook has some good pho as well...

pho bin minh on 17th.. my ex loved that place, me not so much

oriental phoenix... don't even go there:barf:
and of course, every non vietnamese eating white person goes to bagolac

and then there's also Saigon Y2K which is also :barf:
there's another one I used to goto
Vietnamese Village on 64th in the NE wasn't too bad, there is another one across 64th on the west side of deerfoot in the strip mall that's pretty decent

Golden bell is pretty good…food is ok and the service is always good…

I stopped going to bagoloac just because their service totally sucks! They used to be really good with their service but they’ve just been getting crappier and crappier each time I went so I stopped going there.

oriental phoenix is just wayyy too overpriced for what you get. Servings are ridiculously small as well as being overpriced. The food is not bad but there was a hot server there when I went soo…hehe.

The worst place to go to, as far as service goes, imo, is that Vietnamese place in shawnessy …...holy fkkkkk…it’s like they try to be assholes….the food is mediocre. I’ve only been there twice and both times, I went there cuz I was too lazy to drive to another viet place. They’re still assholes even if you order for pick up so just don’t order from there at all, hahah.

GQBalla
11-17-2008, 01:29 PM

i forget what its called but theres a place on center st closer to 16th ave has it.

never looked at the name, used to go quite a lot some friends own that place.

ill try to get you a name its off of 16th ave when your goin towards dt...i believe its near the petro place and near a store that sells rice cookers

em2ab
11-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

i forget what its called but theres a place on center st closer to 16th ave has it.

never looked at the name, used to go quite a lot some friends own that place.

ill try to get you a name its off of 16th ave when your goin towards dt...i believe its near the petro place and near a store that sells rice cookers

Pho Kim, it's been mentioned 10 times in this thread already.

xkon
11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
haha my gf says the less white people in the restaurant the better the food! 17th SE - the one by the giant tiger store has good pho and pho kim is good too. theres also a pho place west on beddington trail past country hills - can remember the name of it but its fairly new and the prices arent bad...

adam c
11-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S

Golden bell is pretty good…food is ok and the service is always good…

I stopped going to bagoloac just because their service totally sucks! They used to be really good with their service but they’ve just been getting crappier and crappier each time I went so I stopped going there.

oriental phoenix is just wayyy too overpriced for what you get. Servings are ridiculously small as well as being overpriced. The food is not bad but there was a hot server there when I went soo…hehe.

The worst place to go to, as far as service goes, imo, is that Vietnamese place in shawnessy …...holy fkkkkk…it’s like they try to be assholes….the food is mediocre. I’ve only been there twice and both times, I went there cuz I was too lazy to drive to another viet place. They’re still assholes even if you order for pick up so just don’t order from there at all, hahah.

shawnessy vietnamese was alright man...

i think it helped that michelle used to work there and she would always go give our orders and get our food and drinks... the owner didn't even care..

GQBalla
11-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Pho Kim, it's been mentioned 10 times in this thread already.

wasnt talking about pho kim...

and pho kim doesnt use rice paper for their spring rolls.

Sorath
11-17-2008, 02:20 PM
only 3 places i go.

pho so #1
pho 88
pho dau bo

in that order.

favourite sub place of all time is thi thi subs, hardly go to the one in chinatown but thats still the best. usually go to the one off of 130th cause i live close.

yue
11-17-2008, 04:46 PM
umm, all you guys who endorse pho #1 do realize they had a rodent problem right?

adam c
11-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by yue
umm, all you guys who endorse pho #1 do realize they had a rodent problem right?

so?

a lot more restaurants than you think have rodent issues once in a while...

they just don't tell you about it

GQBalla
11-17-2008, 04:54 PM
your point?

lol does that bother people?

GQBalla
11-17-2008, 04:56 PM

so?

couldnt have said it better ahaha

bubbley
11-17-2008, 05:07 PM
chinese/vietnamese restaraunts id say are the dirtiest and have the least customer service than any other restaraunt..just what ive noticed and no offence

yue
11-17-2008, 05:19 PM

so?

you own the restaurant or something?:confused:

jahobo
11-17-2008, 05:38 PM

mmmm i love those deep fried salad roll ones

i remember going back to nam and eating them all the time, and they were usually all bite sizeish too mmmm

i was told the salad roll sheet deep fried ones were actually nammer ones and the spring rolls we all know are actually chinese ??? any truth to that ??? cause all i ate was the deep friend salad roll sheets in nam

adam c
11-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by yue

you own the restaurant or something?:confused:

no
but seriously think about things... rodents are everywhere, you can't stop them from getting into places

ever had a mouse in your house? same shit

arktrance
11-17-2008, 06:14 PM
My favorite place is Pho Thanh which is in Huntington in the northwest part of the city. The noodles are great and the service is fast. Pretty much the only place I go to.

GQBalla
11-17-2008, 06:22 PM
pho thanh is decent i must admit

JfuckinC
11-18-2008, 01:37 AM
fuck sickest place ever is the pho place by tigers across from T&T so nasty

Accord_tunerx
11-18-2008, 01:47 AM
^pho xuan?

BigDannyCool
11-18-2008, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by jahobo

mmmm i love those deep fried salad roll ones

i remember going back to nam and eating them all the time, and they were usually all bite sizeish too mmmm

i was told the salad roll sheet deep fried ones were actually nammer ones and the spring rolls we all know are actually chinese ??? any truth to that ??? cause all i ate was the deep friend salad roll sheets in nam

it's called rice paper

LongCity
11-18-2008, 02:15 AM
Xuan sucks now compared to a few years ago. I've also noticed it's fairly easy to please white folks with Vietnamese food, then again, they haven't been around it long enough to know what's really good.

GQBalla
11-18-2008, 08:53 AM
werd ^^ xuan has definately gone downhill.

cityhunter2501
11-18-2008, 09:09 AM
all this pho talking...i might stop by pho dau bo for lunch today :rofl:

GQBalla
11-18-2008, 09:12 AM
maybe you should pick me up!!!

JfuckinC
11-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Accord_tunerx
^pho xuan?

Yah i thnk so, maybe i'm just used to the white washyness of phon qhyun but damn, when i went to this other place and got beef shrimp verm, it was like processed beef paddy and shrimp patty. it was knarly. :barf:

adam c
11-18-2008, 09:14 AM
no.. he should pick me up

GQBalla
11-18-2008, 09:16 AM
no.. he should pick me up

pick us both up??

come on earl i know you want to

adam c
11-18-2008, 09:19 AM
yea sounds good.. then we can go back to my place and wash our clothes and have a karaoke party

cityhunter2501
11-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

pick us both up??

come on earl i know you want to

lol where about you guys at? in encana today matt?

Im going to Carstairs at 10am for a meeting then will be back in calgary at noon.

GQBalla
11-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501

lol where about you guys at? in encana today matt?

Im going to Carstairs at 10am for a meeting then will be back in calgary at noon.

im always at EnCana lol

GQBalla
11-18-2008, 09:29 AM
yea sounds good.. then we can go back to my place and wash our clothes and have a karaoke party

karaoke with your room mates mic thingy?

adam c
11-18-2008, 09:30 AM
yea dude

cityhunter2501
11-18-2008, 09:32 AM
yea dude

lol, i dont sing...do you matt?
you still live with ryan right adam?

GQBalla
11-18-2008, 09:38 AM
i do not sing only when drunk ahaha

adam c
11-18-2008, 09:39 AM
i'm white, i don't sing so it's all good

mikey008
11-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Check out my girlfriends family restaurant...

Nha Trang

Located on the corner of Heritage and Elbow Drive!:thumbsup:

And being Vietnamese myself I say DON'T go to Oriental Phoenix....definitely gone down hill cuz they franchised and they are more focused on the cauasian crowd. There's not the authenticity anymore!

adam c
11-18-2008, 10:08 AM
beyond discount?

van
11-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by mikey008

Nha Trang

And being Vietnamese myself I say DON'T go to Oriental Phoenix....definitely gone down hill cuz they franchised and they are more focused on the cauasian crowd. There's not the authenticity anymore!

Biter! Nha Trang is a little supermarket in the ghetto haha.

max_boost
11-18-2008, 12:25 PM
time for a pho meet lol :drool:

adam c
11-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

i'm down

Lonely_Driver
11-18-2008, 12:41 PM

Giang Nam makes their spring rolls with rice paper last I checked. It's across from Peter's Drive Inn on 16th in the plaza with the hobby shop.

1997GSR
11-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Nha Trang was just ok. Last time I was there, they were more interested in watching the Simpsons than serving us :poosie:

Cooked Rice
11-18-2008, 12:51 PM
There's a newer place at the Stadium Shopping Centre, forget the name. Guy I use to work with opened up the place. Really good and clean.

adam c
11-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by 1997GSR
Nha Trang was just ok. Last time I was there, they were more interested in watching the Simpsons than serving us :poosie:
define serving?

typical serving in a true vietnamese restaurant - not some caucasian viet place

Walk in the door
They tell you to sit down
Give menus
You order
They bring you the drinks
They bring you the food
You Eat
You Pay
You leave

1997GSR
11-18-2008, 01:00 PM

define serving?

Walk in the door
Give menus
You order
They bring you the food
You Eat
You Pay
You leave

i am not as well versed as you are in the Pho world.

we ordered
waited
waited
food came
ok
need drinks/service
waited
staff are viewing an episode of the simpsons behind the counter
asked them to provide service
they grumbled
i paid
left
-end

Boosted Gtir
11-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Pho phuc lie FTW

mikey008
11-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by 1997GSR

i am not as well versed as you are in the Pho world.

we ordered
waited
waited
food came
ok
need drinks/service
waited
staff are viewing an episode of the simpsons behind the counter
asked them to provide service
they grumbled
i paid
left
-end

Sounds like a typical experience at any Vietnamese restaurant! Don't expect service like Olive Garden or Earls restaurants!

I thought this thread was about good food?? I'm trying to "educate" him about going to places with authenticity. Cuz I been to Vietnamese restaurants where they're owned/ran by Chinese ppl!

Kritafo
11-18-2008, 02:27 PM
I have always had amazing service at Pho Hoai, never had a bad batch of Pho in the more than the 10 years we have been eating there.

Haven't had one bad thing from the menu everything is always just like it was the first time we had it. They accommodate my kids food sizes and adjust the prices for the smaller portions.

max_boost
11-18-2008, 02:30 PM

define serving?

Walk in the door
Give menus
You order
They bring you the food
You Eat
You Pay
You leave

maybe he was expecting personalized service :dunno:

cityhunter2501
11-18-2008, 02:47 PM
im always down for a pho meet aswell :thumbsup:
didnt get back to calgary til 1, so me and coworker went to pho kim aswell, stuffed right now

mikey008
11-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Pho meet.....that's gonna be a problem cuz it's gonna be difficult in deciding which restaurant to eat at!:dunno:

adam c
11-18-2008, 04:33 PM
i think pho dau bo has the general consensus

~Leah~
11-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by mikey008

Nha Trang

I love Nha Trang, when I lived in the south that was the only one I'd go to. (I typically get takeout so I can't comment on the service, but like everyone else has said, it's a vietnamese restaurant, you can't expect service.)

bashir26
11-18-2008, 05:12 PM
'Beef Cubes' is my favorite Vietnamese food!

ryaraines
11-18-2008, 06:15 PM
The best that I have found (Caucasian person here) are:
Quyhn - by Sunridge Mall
Codo - 17th Ave and 14th Street area
Bagolac - by Chinook C-Train Station, in the same strip mall as community foods

signature7
11-18-2008, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by bashir26
'Beef Cubes' is my favorite Vietnamese food!

Check out Indochine Bistro located on Kensington. I'd say this is the best Vietnamese for Caucasian. The beef cubes are the best there, number 64 I think it is. At lunch they have different menus but I order it everytime I am there, just mention it to the waiter and they'll make it no problems.

HP2133
11-18-2008, 08:44 PM
What kind of animal meat do they use in their food ?

Jokes aside , is it true that in parts of Asia, they would resort to what we would call ... pets ?

EDIT : please post pics of beef cubes. couldn't find any

clem24
11-19-2008, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Lonely_Driver

Giang Nam makes their spring rolls with rice paper last I checked. It's across from Peter's Drive Inn on 16th in the plaza with the hobby shop.

WTF... Ok DO NOT EVER GO HERE. It's run by fucking Chinese people and the pho is sick, as in literally it'll make you sick. I don't recall the spring rolls being made of rice paper. I just remember I wanted to hurl after eating here.

But ... there is a place that makes it with rice paper. It's called Song Hu'ong. It's on 17th Ave and 61st SE. Pretty much right before you leave the city and across from Eliston Park. It's in a strip mall between a trailer park sales centre and a white trash pub haha. There's also a 7-11 there.

Here's the catch... The pho isn't the best, but everything else is! They have the most unique viet dishes (and I heard it's way more hard core and traditional). My fave is the Bun Bo Hue which is their specialty. It comes with (among other things) 2 cubes of boiled pig's blood and a big fucking pork hock.

They also serve these things called Banh Loc which is a dumpling with pork and shrimp inside. One type is wrapped in banana leaf and the other is served with that viet ham shit. Love it! And another regular I get is the Bo Tai Chanh which is raw beef in a limey sauce with basil and hot peppers.. It's my fave raw beef dish. Oh and the spring rolls as I mentioned.

Anyway, it's fucking awesome. Too bad it's so stinkin far, and you'd never know there was a viet restaurant if you were just driving by. And best of all, it's CHEAP AS HELL. The Bun Bo Hue is like $6.50 and includes GST!!!

adam c
11-19-2008, 08:47 AM
^^Bo Tai Chanh looks so good but i could never eat raw beef

btw does anyone know any places that make chicken dumplings? my ex-gf mom (viet) would make them and holy fuck they were so damn good

clem24
11-19-2008, 09:45 AM
^^Bo Tai Chanh looks so good but i could never eat raw beef

I've been eating it for a while... I am still alive. The other raw beef dishes I really enjoy is the one from Korean Village (it's got apples and spices and a raw egg mixed in for good measure haha), and of course beef tataki. :drool: But definitely the Bo Tai Chanh is my fave. The peppers are insanely hot. :drool: :cry: :drool: :cry: :drool: :cry:

cityhunter2501
11-19-2008, 10:33 AM
I'll try that Bun Bo Hue sometimes this week

sounds delicious :love:

van
11-19-2008, 11:16 AM
I really enjoy eating at Song Hu'ong as mentioned above, it's different, small and cozy little place hidden by the condos and trailer park haha.

The spring rolls there are good they use the clear rice paper and man I always order a plate of that when I go. Their specialty as mentioned above is Bun Bo Hue, the reason why you might think their Pho isn't as good as regular Pho elsewhere is due to the fact that they use the same soup broth as they would for the other kinds of noodle bowls they offer. Most places have a broth for Pho and another kind of broth for the rice noodles and such things as that. I do believe a lot of the way the food taste is because it is a more central-vietnamese restaurant.

signature7
11-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by HP2133

EDIT : please post pics of beef cubes. couldn't find any

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/225/494753022_6a693d53c7.jpg

Like this but generally the dish looks very gourmet at indochine if that matters. Typically served on a bed of rice with lettuce and tomato.

davidturner
11-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Fried Rice is one of main disk which can not miss in any occasion. It is easy to make and good food to enjoy.

Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups long-grain white rice
6 dried Chinese mushrooms
2 Chinese sausages
1/4 pound raw shrimp
1/4 cup vegetable oil plus 1 tablespoon
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1/2 pound crab meat
2 eggs
2 large scallions
Asian Mushroom: caps, dried, 1 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter
Chinese Sausage: sweet, mild, cured, pork. About 6" long sold in pairs.
Shrimp size: 21 to 25 shrimp per pound.
Fish Sauce (nuoc mam). Use Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce.
Crab meat: fresh, frozen, canned. Rinse and sort to discard shell, cartilage.

Directions:
Day before - prepare rice. Bring 6 quarts of unsalted water to a boil over high heat in a large, heavy pot. Stirring constantly, slowly pour in the rice in a thin stream. Reduce the heat to moderate and let the rice boil uncovered for about 15 minutes, or until the grains are somewhat tender but are still slightly firm to the bite. Drain the rice in a large sieve, fluffing it with a fork. Transfer rice to a large bowl and set it aside to cool to room temperature. Cover the bowl tightly and efrigerate overnight or for at least 12 hours.
Day of cook - Place MUSHROOMS in a small bowl containing 1 1/2 cups hot water. Soak for at least 30 minutes until soft. Remove mushrooms. Discard water. Rinse mushrooms of any remaining grit and cut off and discard any stems. Slice each cap crosswise into 1/2-inch strips.
- Cut ONION in half lengthwise and slice lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips.
- Wash and trim SCALLIONS, keeping most of the green tops. Cut scallions into 1-inch pieces and slice pieces lengthwise into 1/4-inch side strips.
- Shell the SHRIMP. Devein. Chop into 1/4 inch bits and set aside.
- Cut SAUSAGE into 1-1/8 inch slices. Fry the sausages in a wok over moderate heat, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes, or until the slices are delicately browned on both sides and the edges are crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in wok. Drop in the ONIONS and stirring constantly, cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they are soft. Regulate heat to prevent browning.
- Add MUSHROOMS, then the chilled rice and stirring constantly with a fork, cook for about 3 minutes, or until the rice ie heated through. - Stir in the FISH SAUCE.
- Push the rice to the edge of the wok to make a well in the center. Pour in the remaining oil and drop the SHRIMP into it. Without stirring rice, cook the shrimp, for about 2 minutes, turning as they become firm and pink.
- Mix the shrimp into the rice and still stirring, cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Do not let the rice brown. Stir in the CRAB meat and the SAUSAGE and cook for 2 minutes. Break EGGS, one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- Mix in the SCALLIONS and taste for seasoning; add salt or more fish sauce if rice seems too bland. Serve the fried rice mounded on a large heated platter or bowl.

LongCity
11-22-2008, 02:15 AM
Fried rice is Chinese food...

van
11-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by signature7

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/225/494753022_6a693d53c7.jpg

Like this but generally the dish looks very gourmet at indochine if that matters. Typically served on a bed of rice with lettuce and tomato.

What you are referring to is called (with rice) Com Bo Luc Lac.

http://thericebowlrestaurant.com/resources/Bo+Luc+Lac.JPG

malcolmk14
11-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Codo was pretty impressive on the weekend. Sate Pho and an avocado shake.

Petite Saigon in Airdrie is surprisingly one of my favorites. I'm white, but I think I've got pretty good taste in viet food.

Those two places are on the top end of all the places i've tried. Still haven't been to Pho Dau Bo, Rang Dong, or any of the other ghetto places. But I'm gonna try them soon.

DJ_NAV
11-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Went to sunny's this weekend and was not happy.

KRyn
11-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

+2

:clap:

DJ_NAV
11-24-2008, 12:52 PM
I'll be there if its at Pho So 1

GQBalla
11-24-2008, 01:46 PM
gross ^^ dau bo ftw!!

max_boost
11-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
Went to sunny's this weekend and was not happy. Why is that?

89coupe
11-24-2008, 03:11 PM
My favorite place for Pho is

Saigon Palace Restaurant

460-5255 Richmond Road SW
Calgary, AB T3E 7C4
(403) 240-4048

n1zm0
11-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEG6

read the other pho thread, oriental phoenix has to be the WORST pho i've ever had in Calgary by far, my caucasian friend's swear by it tho, seems to be the norm. :barf:

i vote for:
-Dau Bo
-Le Da
-Viet Shawnessy (this is the lazy pick, the closest one to my house that i will only goto for take-home)

Those of you who've been the Vietnam, anyone ever had actual water buffalo in their Pho bo tai? it gives that game taste to it, almost like bison. hot damn country style ftw!