PDA

View Full Version : HID problem with mazda 6

blue_s2000
11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
i installed the HID (plug n play version) yesterday on my 2004 mazda 6. (low beam)
everything works out fine except the daytime driving light.
mazda 6 uses the low beam as daytime driving light, after i changed to HID, the daytime driving light became dimmer. it is kinda like flashing all the time.
anyone knows this problem ?
thx

for anyone who has the same problem as i do, HERE IS THE SOLUTION.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=24222

if you have a Canadian 6, you need to do one extra modification to get it to work (write-up is in the same thread, make sure you read that). and make sure you know how to do this, otherwise it WON'T work. and there is also a write-up for how to disconnect the DRL module.

after you done this, you can use your fog light as DRL manually :( unless you connect the green wire to the ignition relay (addressed in the same thread), and your low beam won't come on for sure. the check DRL light won't be on all the time. sweet sweet !!!

GQBalla
11-17-2008, 01:35 PM
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-307925.html

this is why

blue_s2000
11-17-2008, 04:35 PM
thx a lot
but then is it illegal to drive with our the DRL?

Originally posted by GQBalla
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-307925.html

this is why

Accord_tunerx
11-17-2008, 09:38 PM
i drive without DRL all the time in my TL...nothing wrong

blue_s2000
11-18-2008, 11:39 AM
would this be just lucky. cuz it is the law to have DRL
also after you disconnect the DRL, does the check light go on? if yes, this will be annoying.

Originally posted by Accord_tunerx

7thgenvic
11-18-2008, 11:41 AM
just disconnect that shit! I use to just pull the fuze on my DRL

SScott
11-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Accord_tunerx

Uhh, yeah there is something wrong you moron.

Running without DRL's is Illegal in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp#Canada

Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requires DRLs on all new vehicles made or imported after January 1, 1990. Canada's proposed DRL regulation was essentially similar to regulations in place in Scandinavia, with an axial luminous intensity limit of 1,500 candela, but automakers objected, claiming it was too expensive to add a new front lighting device, and would increase warranty costs (by dint of increased bulb replacements) to run the low beams. After a pitched regulatory battle, the standard was rewritten to permit the use of reduced-voltage high beam headlamps producing up to 7,000 axial candela, as well as permitting any light color from white to amber or selective yellow. These changes to the regulation permitted automakers to implement a less-costly DRL, such as by connecting the high beam filaments in series to supply each filament with half its rated voltage, or by burning the front turn signals full time (except when actually flashing as turn indicators).

Do the City a favour and get them installed, and uninstall your HIDS out of your non projector headlights

Chester
11-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by SScott

Uhh, yeah there is something wrong you moron.

Running without DRL's is Illegal in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp#Canada

Do the City a favour and get them installed, and uninstall your HIDS out of your non projector headlights

Easy buddy, I see tons of cars without DRL's everyday and FYI TL's old and new come STOCK with xenon headlamps.

GQBalla
11-18-2008, 11:57 AM
werd ^^

SScott
11-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Chester

Easy buddy, I see tons of cars without DRL's everyday and FYI TL's old and new come STOCK with xenon headlamps.

Yo Chester,

What would happen if you were rollin in your bmw, snackin on some cheetos and some dude coming from the opposite direction accidentally drifted over into yourin your lane out of nowhere and you didnt see him until last second because he didnt have his drls on?

Answer:

Orange stains all over your nice leather interior.

Wraith
11-18-2008, 12:00 PM
http://www.members.shaw.ca/MrSpidy/Disabling%20Day%20Running%20Lights.pdf

Or do what I'll probably do; get some lower fogs and wire those to the drl module

Chester
11-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Yo Chester,

What would happen if you were rollin in your bmw, snackin on some cheetos and some dude coming from the opposite direction accidentally drifted over into yourin your lane out of nowhere and you didnt see him until last second because he didnt have his drls on?

Answer:

If he needs to have DRL's for me to notice him heading towards me head on, then I shouldn't be driving.

That is possibly the dumbest scenario I have ever read.

Pollywog
11-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Or do what I did and wire a relay directly to your battery, so when the DRL circuit is closed, the HID's get power directly from the battery, not through the reduced voltage wiring from your DRL's (same wires that will now activate the relay).

The relay diagram will look like this:http://www.shoppalstores.com/clreynolds/image//pagedesignimages/relaydiagram.gif and to obtain one just walk into any NAPA and ask for a standard bosch 5 pin HL relay.

I had to go one step further, and also install two 2200uF capacitors to stop my headlight out warnings (dont know if you have that feature).

GQBalla
11-18-2008, 12:23 PM

Yo Chester,

Answer:

are you on crack you didn't see him?

lol you should not be driving if you think you can't see any car without DRLs on in the DAYTIME.

btw how do you spot cop cars?? :facepalm:

SScott
11-18-2008, 12:25 PM

If he needs to have DRL's for me to notice him heading towards me head on, then I shouldn't be driving.

That is possibly the dumbest scenario I have ever read.

You mean, dumbest scenario SINCE your parents were deciding between the names Chester and Nimcus?

SScott
11-18-2008, 12:26 PM

are you on crack you didn't see him?

lol you should not be driving if you think you can't see any car without DRLs on in the DAYTIME.

btw how do you spot cop cars?? :facepalm:

LOL, in a split second dude drifts in your lane, you would have been able to see him coming more readily had his DRLS been on, its just an example its like you guys are going to go home and practice it or something, i think you know what i'm getting at.

They are a safety feature for a reason, and It is the law for a reason

Pollywog
11-18-2008, 12:34 PM

They are a safety feature for a reason, and It is the law for a reason

:werd:

I can understand people's opinion of "they are useless, I can see in daytime", but there are many situations that arise in daily driving where indicator lights are beneficial.

"Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. Evidence about DRL effects on crashes comes from studies conducted in Scandinavia, Canada, and the United States. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes. A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes. In a second study covering 2 years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes. A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.

In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs.5 A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles.6 Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in nine US states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs. Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists."

DRL's are there for a purpose, so solve your denial.

Primary Source - http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/drl.html

Resources: Elvik, R. 1993. The effects on accidents of compulsory use of daytime running lights for cars in Norway. Accident Analysis and Prevention 25:383-98.

Hansen, L.K. 1993. Daytime running lights in Denmark: evaluation of the safety effect. Copenhagen, Denmark: Danish Council of Road Safety Research.

Hansen, L.K. 1994. Daytime running lights: experience with compulsory use in Denmark. Proceedings of the Fersi Conference. Copenhagen, Denmark: Danish Council for Road Safety Research.

Arora, H.; Collard, D.; Robbins, G.; Welbourne, E.R.; and White, J.G. 1994. Effectiveness of daytime running lights in Canada. Report no. TP-12298. Ottawa, Ontario: Transport Canada.

Stein, H. 1985. Fleet experience with daytime running lights in the United States. SAE Technical Paper Series 851239. Warrendale, PA: Society of Automotive Engineers.

Cantilli, E.J. 1970. Accident experience with parking lights as running lights. Highway Research Record 332:1-13. Washington, DC: Transportation Research Board.

Farmer, C.M. and Williams, A.F. 2002. Effects of daytime running lights on multiple-vehicle daylight crashes in the United States. Accident Analysis and Prevention 34:197-203.

Tessmer, J.M. 2004. An assessment of the crash-reducing effectiveness of passenger vehicle daytime running lamps (DRLs). Report no. DOT HS-809-760. Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Eleanor
11-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Sorry guys, as much of a douche SScott is, he's right.

We have DRL's for a reason. As much as you may not like them, they are required by law, and there is a reason for them.

Chester
11-18-2008, 12:47 PM

You mean, dumbest scenario SINCE your parents were deciding between the names Chester and Nimcus?

Not everyone uses their real name as a username on a car forum:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Pollywog
11-18-2008, 12:53 PM

Not everyone uses their real name as a username on a car forum:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

WWhhaattt?? lol

ZorroAMG
11-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Some of you idiots posting in here (read SScott) need to realize that most people doing this removal of DRL stuff will most likely run their HID's during the day too.

Call a fucking wahhhmbulance, whiner.

I want to find MY relay and pull it so I can run one set of fogs during the day and have my headlights off....dunno where it is in the W124 though :(

SScott...preach to me too, please! :facepalm:

GQBalla
11-18-2008, 02:19 PM
lol werd ^^ sscott explain to me please why cops dont have DRL???

SScott
11-18-2008, 02:35 PM

Right after you explain to me why a GQBalla Drives a civic

A790
11-18-2008, 02:37 PM

Right after you explain to me why a GQBalla Drives a civic
This is a warning. Quit being a douche.

GQBalla
11-18-2008, 02:38 PM
:facepalm:

blue_s2000
11-18-2008, 02:50 PM
do u have any instruction on how to wire the fog to the DRL module?

BTW, i have a 2004 mazda 6. the instruction on how to disconnect the DRL works prefect for me. thx a lot

Originally posted by Wraith
http://www.members.shaw.ca/MrSpidy/Disabling%20Day%20Running%20Lights.pdf

Or do what I'll probably do; get some lower fogs and wire those to the drl module

Pollywog
11-18-2008, 07:01 PM

I asked a cop that question on the red mile, and he explained to me that not only is it to aid in being inconspicuous while patrolling or spotting, as well that he heard the module used to orchestrate the light sequences on the police vehicles defeats the DRL.

Originally posted by A790

This is a warning. Quit being a douche.

Chill Mod Squad. I think his point was more so that it is a stretch to ask that question, especially when presented with all of the research and studies that have proved the drastic improvement DRL
s have made in reducing accidents. Its like the "but my friend billy's mom lets him drive without DRL
s why cant I?!" argument.

Besides, the Scott guy brought up some valid points. :dunno:

ZorroAMG
11-19-2008, 12:07 AM
No, he DIDN'T. That's why he never answered MY post because his posts are BS and unfounded rants.

11-19-2008, 12:13 AM
:rofl: A+

Pollywog
11-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
No, he DIDN'T. That's why he never answered MY post because his posts are BS and unfounded rants.

"Running without DRL's is Illegal in Canada.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytim...ing_lamp#Canada" -SScott

"They are a safety feature for a reason, and It is the law for a reason" -SScott

lol, well a very small portion was attempting to be knowledgable at least.

blue_s2000
11-21-2008, 12:02 PM
solution posted :clap: