PDA

View Full Version : Need help setting up a site

Melinda
09-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Welp, i think its about time i set up an online portfolio of sorts but here's the thing, I have no idea how. I've built quite a few web pages before but they were always set up for me...I'm starting from scratch here, can anyone help me out getting it set up?

roopi
09-23-2003, 09:59 PM
Well what sort of site are you looking for?

I'm kind of confused. You say you've built a few sites but they were setup for you. What do you mean by this? Its kind of contridicting.

Do you need someone to create the layout so then you can just add to it?

Melinda
09-23-2003, 10:20 PM
No, I can do all the HTML and all that crap, but the sites have already been set up (ie: domain name, server ect already set up)

I need to know how to do the domain set up, server ect

D'z Nutz
09-23-2003, 10:29 PM
So are you looking for a domain/host? If so, you might want to check out www.sitehosting.ca. They got some pretty decent prices (IMO), and if you go with either their silver or gold package for atleast a year, your domain name is free. I ended up getting the silver plan for two years myself.

Melinda
09-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Hey thanks :)

D'z Nutz
09-23-2003, 10:32 PM
No prob :thumbsup:

spyderman
09-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I ended up getting the silver plan for two years myself.

Their prices are pretty good!

How's the service and speed? Does the server go down often?

roopi
09-24-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
So are you looking for a domain/host? If so, you might want to check out www.sitehosting.ca. They got some pretty decent prices (IMO), and if you go with either their silver or gold package for atleast a year, your domain name is free. I ended up getting the silver plan for two years myself.

that looks like a template reseller site. have you actually used them?

melinda there are sooo many hosts and domain registration services out there.

before you decide to sign up for a hosting account decide what you will need. features such as asp, php, cgi, etc after that is decided it is just a matter of seeing who offers the best price and service. stay away from resellers since the support sucks.

i pay $150 a year for a 50 mb space. it is more expensive than most companies but the service and reliability is worth it.

i have an account for $40 a year for 750 mb space but it is so unrealiable so i would never host a professional site on it. its just good for crap

D'z Nutz
09-24-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by spyderman

Their prices are pretty good!

How's the service and speed? Does the server go down often?

I signed with their service about a month or two ago, and to be honest, it's just sitting there cause I haven't had any time to do anything with it. However, from what I read they've been pretty reliable, which is why I signed up in the first place. Service is pretty good. They responded within a few hours to an email I sent them (I expected atleast 24 hours). Speed's pretty fast, I'd say.

Originally posted by roopi

that looks like a template reseller site. have you actually used them?

See above.

Melinda
09-24-2003, 08:14 AM
It's gonna be an online portfolio of sorts for my photography...so I'll need alot of space and an easy upload method above and beyond all...any other good reccomendations guys? :dunno: