PDA

View Full Version : Applied Energy Concentration: Econ

mina_03
11-19-2008, 07:52 PM
So I'm thinking of doing a concentration in applied energy management vs just a BA in economics, What are the benifits of doing a applied energy concentration?

Any suggestions, if I should, just stay in the regular stream or declare the concentration?

S4Andy
11-26-2008, 12:00 AM
I have a friend that completed his econ degree with this concentration...now he is back to finish accounting since he wasn't able to find a job.

Unikkatil
11-26-2008, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by S4Andy
I have a friend that completed his econ degree with this concentration...now he is back to finish accounting since he wasn't able to find a job.

Thats cool, could be that your friend is incompetent and does not know how to use a degree to his advantage because this degree is quite valuable, at least the contacts i have from it suggest so.

I know quite a few people who have graduated with the degree and concentration and almost exclusively they have gotten a decent paying job. One of them just currently started out as an Jr. Energy Analyst. I'v got another friend who started out as an Investors Relations analyst for Shell. Also two other friends who are still in university one interning as an assistant market analyst and the other doing his third co-op term as a jr pricing economist for British Gas or BP, forgot which one.

I would say this is a good concentration because it gives you relevant background into the energy industry which is essential in AB plus incorporates economics into analyzing these markets which makes for a good mix for any future employer.