PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if rims are straight

yue
11-20-2008, 11:24 AM
when buying used rims, how do you tell if the rims are straight?

according to google searches you can do the following:
- bring them to a tire shop and have them balance it. If it balances out then you're fine
- car wobble
- measure distance between the two lips for a constant number

other than that, are there any other methods to tell when purchasing?

7thgenvic
11-20-2008, 11:26 AM
are you serious!
Just take a look at them! you can easily tell by just looking at the inside of the barrel and the outside. If they are bent you will notice it. clean them up and inspect them

legendboy
11-20-2008, 11:30 AM
use a dial indicator and spin the wheel?

n1zm0
11-20-2008, 11:32 AM
you can take it to a shop, tell them to dismount and if they have the appropriate type of balancer (those $10k Hunter machines) you can perform rim runout and it will give you a pass or fail, when i used to work for automotive, i remember doing this for a friend's 19's after he ran over railroad tracks on full stiff dampener setting lol, all were fail

OneUpYou
11-20-2008, 09:14 PM
I used to work at alberta wheel repair and all we would do is take the tire off and spin the wheel on an old balancer and feel (touch it while it was spinning or eyeball it) if it was bent if it was more then 20 thousands out if had to be repaired. So ya the best way is to use a dial indicator and u can spin it on your car with the tire off. Testing the part where the tire bead sits on the rim.