PDA

View Full Version : Iphone 2.2 Firmware released

Kavy
11-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Updated an hour ago and I am heavily impressed. Push is working so is fetch and the phone has zero lag so far. I am actually writing this from the Iphone and seeing no lag in safari.

My vote is upgrade NOW if you dont mind waiting till Monday to jailbreak or can live without a few jailbroken apps.

It is recommended that you do a restore BEFORE upgrading. Additionally you will be required to install the newest Itunes which came out yesterday.

Have fun.

sxtothe240
11-21-2008, 02:41 AM
were you getting super lag on safari before this update?

i tried replying to threads on beyond with my iphone and i honestly couldnt type because it would lag about 2-3secs per letter i type.

if it fixes that, i might just do it tonight

Kavy
11-21-2008, 02:42 AM
I am having no lag at all, im seriously very impressed.

Phone book and SMS is instant.

ZorroAMG
11-21-2008, 02:46 AM
I found 2.1 fixed the lag temporarily. Boooourns for lag. 2.2 BETTER effing fix it permanently.

sxtothe240
11-21-2008, 02:48 AM
time to update right now then. damn, have to update itunes too

Kavy
11-21-2008, 03:08 AM
So far I havent noticed anything new just a major speed increase and YES YES FETCH WORKS!!!

sxtothe240
11-21-2008, 03:12 AM
any one know how to get fetch to work with hotmail?

Kavy
11-21-2008, 03:17 AM
Hotmail does not allow outside access, you need to pay microsoft for this service (which is complete bullshit)

lose your Hotmail account and change to a Gmail or Yahoo account. I personally love Gmail but Yahoo has gotten a lot better lately.

sxtothe240
11-21-2008, 03:43 AM
Hmm I'm getting no lag from typing now, which is awesome.
Typing this from the iPhone right now.

Texting and call screens still lag slightly for me, but significantly less lag than before.

So far so good!

Cody D
11-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Tried upgrading to 2.2, now it won't even restore, reading the forums I'm not the only one, good job Apple at showing us that your software is just as shitty as everyone elses.

sxtothe240
11-21-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Cody D
Tried upgrading to 2.2, now it won't even restore, reading the forums I'm not the only one, good job Apple at showing us that your software is just as shitty as everyone elses.

try putting ur phone in DFU mode then restore. just search in google how to force ur iPhone in DFU mode.

eglove
11-21-2008, 09:23 AM
i'll wait until i can jailbreak

sneek
11-21-2008, 10:19 AM
What else was this update supposed to do?

I didn't really read the thing that popped up because I was a but drunk when I was installing it last night, and I passed out by the time it finished downloading...

I remember reading something about improved WiFi...and that has me interested. The only funtional difference I have noticed is Safari is different.

D'z Nutz
11-21-2008, 10:25 AM
I never experienced any problems with my iPhone from (1.0.2 all the way to 1.1.4) until I upgraded to 2.1. I really hope 2.2 makes things right again.

googe
11-21-2008, 10:30 AM
im still on 1.1.4. no lag! what do you mean by fetch is working? has fetch ever not worked?

LongCity
11-21-2008, 10:44 AM
I wanna use Gmail but I don't wanna go through all the sites/stores/school stuff that has my old email account associated to it. Is it really worth it to switch or is using safari to log into hotmail able to suffice?

bball2
11-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Just finished upgrading, all we need now is mms / copy-paste

sneek
11-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by LongCity
I wanna use Gmail but I don't wanna go through all the sites/stores/school stuff that has my old email account associated to it. Is it really worth it to switch or is using safari to log into hotmail able to suffice?

there is a feature in Gmail where you get all your hotmail moved to your GMail. It also sends out email from your hotmail as well.

blinkme_210
11-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Upgraded last night, and it works awesome. I really love the podcast OTA feature. Now I'll never be bored if I ever have to wait for an extended amount of time.

Kavy
11-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by googe
im still on 1.1.4. no lag! what do you mean by fetch is working? has fetch ever not worked?
Ya 2.1 broke background fetch, it would only fetch on a schedule when plugged in. Which is stupid apple said in patch note fix a isolated issue with mail not fetching when on standby and on the apple forums alone there is over 9k posts about the issue, that's far from isolated.
But I works gravy now

rage2
11-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
Upgraded last night, and it works awesome. I really love the podcast OTA feature. Now I'll never be bored if I ever have to wait for an extended amount of time.
I wish they had iTunes OTA for music. So many times I'm on the road and wanna buy an album, I have to wait till I go home. Annoying!

Afrodeziak
11-21-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm on 2.1 and jailbroken, just wondering at the time I upgrade to 2.2 and jailbreak again, will developers have to change their apps to meet 2.2 standards ? Or will it be seamless ?

Davetronz
11-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Does anyone know if the new update contained compatibility for EAP-TTLS?

himantayon
11-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Preference to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard Settings.

Yes, at last. Hehe. :thumbsup:

Kavy
11-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
I'm on 2.1 and jailbroken, just wondering at the time I upgrade to 2.2 and jailbreak again, will developers have to change their apps to meet 2.2 standards ? Or will it be seamless ?

all 2 series have the same file system so no apps need to change. Because apple's app store makes bank we wont see a version 3 until a new Iphone comes out.

tha_bandit
11-21-2008, 11:34 PM
....patiently waiting for the 2.2 jailbreak, as my phone will be useless if i upgrade.

anyways some other facts:

The 2.2 firmware for 3G contains a baseband update for the 3G iPhone, therefore someone looking for a software unlock should not upgrade as the dev team has only made progress on the old baseband.

more here:
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/60830674/sir-step-away-from-the-keyboard

slick2404
11-22-2008, 03:56 PM
I'll wait for the jailbreak aswell, got a few apps from cydia that I use constantly. Plus, I hate the regular iphone theme.

blinkme_210
11-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I wish they had iTunes OTA for music. So many times I'm on the road and wanna buy an album, I have to wait till I go home. Annoying!

Yeh, I hear you.

1 clarification from my 1st post, it's [b]OTA podcast STREAMING[\b]. Downloading podcasts over 10mb work just like iTunes, gotta connect to Wifi to download, or go home and download & sync.

What I don't get is why Apple allows streaming, but not downloading. Data is data, and both are gonna clog up the intertubes! If anything, streaming is worst, because if you want to watch/hear a podcast again, you have to stream it all over & use 2x as much data than downloading it once.

CivicDXR
11-22-2008, 08:04 PM
To those waiting on the jailbreak: go nuts! :D

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Released 2 hours ago. QuickPwn'd my 2.2 phone a few minutes ago. Working perfect for me.

slick2404
11-23-2008, 12:42 PM
what the deal with the new macbooks not recognizing DFU mode!!! Brutal :(

eglove
11-23-2008, 12:53 PM
wow, everything in 2.2 is so much faster. there is no lag swapping or opening up apps at all

Kavy
11-23-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree this is what I expected the iphone to be when I bought it
Finally they fixed the major issues now they can start tweaking

blinkme_210
11-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
To those waiting on the jailbreak: go nuts! :D

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Released 2 hours ago. QuickPwn'd my 2.2 phone a few minutes ago. Working perfect for me.

Sweet! The only reason I QuickPwn is to get PDANet.

old_school_new
11-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Cody D

I got the same result, upgrade at your own risk...any luck restoring your phone Cody D?

Kavy
11-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Too many people on forums did not read the instructions and upgraded jailbroken phones even tho Dev clearly stated to restore first.

Note to anyone having problems in the future, RESTORE before jumping to a new firmware always as jailbreaking modifies core files that apple reuses and the new firmware will not link to those modified files correctly and you often get the apple of death.

HyperZell
11-23-2008, 10:03 PM
I've got no problems, everything works great.

szw
11-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Upgrade works great on my 2G. Everything is quick but it sucks we don't have streetview available.

slick2404
11-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
Too many people on forums did not read the instructions and upgraded jailbroken phones even tho Dev clearly stated to restore first.

Note to anyone having problems in the future, RESTORE before jumping to a new firmware always as jailbreaking modifies core files that apple reuses and the new firmware will not link to those modified files correctly and you often get the apple of death.

:werd:

Thats what I did before upgrading, works perfect. So fast and smooth...wow.

viperous
11-25-2008, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Kavy

This only applies if you're using Quickpwn right? Quickpwn won't allow me to update mine, so I have to use Pwnage Tool. Doing so right now, will update if successful

Kavy
11-25-2008, 03:23 AM
You should always do a full restore before upgrading no matter what method you use to prevent issues.
I always plug in the phone do a restore then update. After thats complete I quickpwn and setup as new phone then load contacts and all that jazz.

viperous
11-25-2008, 03:33 AM
Never done a full restore before an update before. Never had issues. But I guess that's me.

Just finished updating my 2G to 2.2 and unlocked using Pwnage Tool. Everything has been restored back on it (music,sms,apps etc). No issues so far.

redbeast
11-25-2008, 09:27 PM
I've done the upgrade and so far so good. No problems with signal strength or freezing.

Jeremiah
11-28-2008, 12:29 AM
my phone wont upgrade to 2.2

its just a 3G, not unlocked or anything.

it keeps fucking up when backing up, which coincidentally is taking far too long to do.

tha_bandit
11-28-2008, 01:54 AM
nice emoji thanks softbank (japan)

eglove
11-28-2008, 03:00 AM
i wish more phones used emoji, i hate sending them and my friends going "what's !%^&@%#^@ mean????"

2jzgte
11-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Bought the phone two days ago and upgraded to 2.2 last night. Didn't see much of a difference.

riced
11-28-2008, 12:09 PM
what are the directions for doing it on a 1st gen iphone (not 3G) if I gotta unlock it, update it, and maybe jailbreak it?
The only thing that scares me is the unlocking part.

HyperZell
11-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by riced
what are the directions for doing it on a 1st gen iphone (not 3G) if I gotta unlock it, update it, and maybe jailbreak it?
The only thing that scares me is the unlocking part.

Uhh...you plug it in to your computer, open iTunes, and hit "update".

Lol @ having to unlock/jailbreak the iPhone to update it...

Unless of course you're asking on how to do all three, in which case your sentence was poorly written. If that's the case, then the answer for update is the same, jailbreaking = getting quickpwn or pwnage tool, and unlocking = impossible.

tha_bandit
11-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by eglove
i wish more phones used emoji, i hate sending them and my friends going "what's !%^&@%#^@ mean????"

pretty gay how the receiving party has to have it enabled too....

CivicDXR
11-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Uhh...you plug it in to your computer, open iTunes, and hit "update".

Lol @ having to unlock/jailbreak the iPhone to update it...

Unless of course you're asking on how to do all three, in which case your sentence was poorly written. If that's the case, then the answer for update is the same, jailbreaking = getting quickpwn or pwnage tool, and unlocking = impossible.

well, not entirely true. he stated that he had a 1st gen. Apple has stopped the baseband/modem updates for the 1st gen, so the older unlocks still work. He can upgraade to 2.2, then jailbreak, and his unlock should still be intact. I've tried this with my old 1st gen, and it worked fine, I didn't have to unlock again.

but the best bet is to restore to 2.2, quickpwn/jailbreak, then restore from the backup...

szw
12-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Anyone been able to pair their iPhone with a GPS for use as a handsfree device? I know that bluetooth functionality is limited to headsets but I thought this would be considered a handsfree device type thing.

Maybe I just don't know how to do it...I turned my iphone to discoverable. I searched on my GPS and found my iphone and selected it and it asks me for a passkey. I'm stuck at this point and don't know what to do.

Kavy
12-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Try 0000

RoGZ
12-02-2008, 10:27 AM
anyone notice after the upgrade to 2.2 that shutting off the screen now stops the podcast as well? this is happening to me while listening to tiesto's podcast