PDA

View Full Version : Painting a car gives it a rebuilt status?

G-ZUS
11-22-2008, 05:09 PM
O'rly? Srsly? That's ridiculars. Since when?

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/cto/930194081.html

1997 civic si-- 1.6L vtech engine, automatic, Sunroof
Cruise control, AC, power everything, Clarion Ungo alarm

Replaced Transmission(4 months ago)
Brand new Drum Brakes(3 months ago)
Repainted Civic Red(last year)- gave it a rebuilt status :(
14 inch alloy rims with all season tires...

Mods:
Short ram intake with weather gaurd filter
Type R grill
xenon blue light bulbs
head light eyebrows
custom fog lights
Limo tint
custom shifter(one of a kind)
Red Neons under the dash
Tail light tinted and have rare tail light covers
skunk 2 lowering springs
200$ magnaflow exhaust(not installed)

Audio:
kenwood Cd/mp3 deck
jbl speakers front
dub speakers back
wired for subwoofer

Make me an offer trades welcome
Just email me for my phone number or offer [email protected]

300zxfairlday
11-22-2008, 05:11 PM
I call BS lol:bullshit:

Redlyne_mr2
11-22-2008, 05:19 PM
haha thats a first.

badatusrnames
11-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Not to mention the motor is manufactured by a Hong Kong electronics company - pass.

Can't you pull up a vehicle history that would contain information about why it was designated rebuild?

Maybe if the paint was someone damaged so bad by an acid attack or something that it had to be taken down to bare metal and fully refinished?? But wouldn't it take a ~$5000 - $6000 paint job to write a car like this off?

SCHIDER23
11-22-2008, 05:23 PM
:bullshit: my uncle has painted some of his vehicles and the status of the vehicle has never changed :bullshit:

88jbody
11-22-2008, 05:25 PM
status only goes to rebuilt if the vin was listed as a write off and the car was repaired, or had major damage and listed as rebuildable by the insurance company and still payed the owner out in cash

Kloubek
11-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Oh crap. I used a touch up paint stick on my Sequoia. I hope the status is ok...

topmade
11-22-2008, 05:38 PM
If the guy is saying the rebuilt status is from a paint job I call :bullshit: and he's hiding some other information.

Oldskool
11-22-2008, 05:42 PM
If you are actually intesested in this car, get a carfax report, that'll probably let you know what has actually happened to the car

dannie
11-22-2008, 05:47 PM
A repaint will not change the status. Do a car check, it will have been written off for an actual reason.

:bullshit:

1997GSR
11-22-2008, 05:51 PM
lol wut?

G-ZUS
03-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Haha here's another one that says changing the engine gives it a rebuilt status :bullshit:

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1083897357.html

tom_9109
03-20-2009, 02:17 PM
A rebuilt status means someone bought a car branded salvage and repaired it. To get a salvage brand from an insurance claim the has to be physical damage to warrant it. For example Hail and Vandalism won't get the car a Salvage title. Fact is that car is fucked and the owner is a liar and shouldn't be trusted.

TorqueDog
03-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Oldskool
If you are actually intesested in this car, get a carfax report, that'll probably let you know what has actually happened to the car CarProof. CarFax is essentially useless for cars of Canadian origin.

chkolny541
03-20-2009, 05:24 PM
lol, wtf

corsvette
03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Anyone need proof that insurance companys will salvage a car due to paint damage come see me,i bought a truck branded salvage due to vandalizim,i did not buy through a private party,right through the insurance company,it has some deep scratches on the hood,thats all that i can see,i think due to the fact the truck is older (a 1998)it just was not worth fixing.Trust me it does not take much at all for the insurance companys to salvage cars that are older than 10 yrs.

tom_9109
03-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by corsvette
Anyone need proof that insurance companys will salvage a car due to paint damage come see me,i bought a truck branded salvage due to vandalizim,i did not buy through a private party,right through the insurance company,it has some deep scratches on the hood,thats all that i can see,i think due to the fact the truck is older (a 1998)it just was not worth fixing.Trust me it does not take much at all for the insurance companys to salvage cars that are older than 10 yrs.

Sounds like you found an exception to the rule. Vandalism doesn't require the VIR which puts the brand on vehicles. It very well deserved to be a write-off but whoever submitted the VIR did it in error. That being said, some appraiser might put in a VIR marked salvage on every write off, even when its not required.

I write off cars on a daily basis and have had in depth conversations with Alberta transportation as to what situations warrant what brand, if any. You have to use judgement, if a $3000 car is keyed completely it doesn't need a brand, but if you gf takes a sledgehammer to every panel then a salvage title would be appropriate.