PDA

View Full Version : Painting rims?

nbaker00
11-23-2008, 10:13 PM
I have a friend who has an Audi A4. (He is putting the car up for sale soon)

He is talking about painting his stock rims black for 2 reasons.. Thinks the rims will look better (which I agree if done properly), and will have a better chance selling if it is different from other A4's out there. (which he probably does have a better chance)

Anyways, Obviously, he is better sending it to a professional, but he is a cheap ass:D
And wants to do it himself.. (I said I would help him lol:facepalm: )

So my question is, will basic spray paint, paint them black and not look like shit, if time is taken and done properly?

Any tips/advice, other then not cheaping out, and sending to a professional?

DomesticBoy
11-23-2008, 10:22 PM
pm InLoveWitRSX

hes painted his rims a couple times and supra11

they turned out great, hell be able to tell you how to do it

nbaker00
11-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks man:thumbsup:

CivicDXR
11-23-2008, 10:53 PM
I've done 20+ sets now in my garage over the last 4-5 years with automotive spray paint... just take your time, prep well, and use light even coats, and everything will be fine...

KuruptEX
11-23-2008, 11:01 PM
i painted my rear 240sx rims make sure you use
rim paint you can find it at canadian tire

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=578

awesome step by step guide

dj_rice
11-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Clean the rims nice and good, scuff up the rims with sandpaper, apply couple coats of primer in a dust-free enviroment, apply couple coats of color, then finish off with clearcoat but follow CivicDXR's steps if he gives them, the MS3 rims he painted gold look amazing

rc2002
11-23-2008, 11:32 PM
I don't think it will add to the value of the car and it will probably take him longer to find a buyer. The majority of the used car marketplace would prefer the car as original as possible.

EK 2.0
11-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

I've done 20+ sets now in my garage over the last 4-5 years with automotive spray paint... just take your time, prep well, and use light even coats, and everything will be fine...

Vouched...Dixxer here has done 2 of my sets...

BenC
11-24-2008, 12:25 PM
I've done it a few times. But don't be like that white civic I seen today with red rims and... Half red tires. Take the tires off the rim. Or at least tape it up

CivicDXR
11-24-2008, 03:34 PM
^ :rofl: :rofl:

Tape sucks, consumes too much time, the trick is to use index cards:

You'll see what I mean on the 7th post down:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/223530/fs-07-mazdaspeed-3-wheels-painted-gold/

Idratherbsidewayz
11-24-2008, 03:47 PM

Did you just use standard automotive primer, paint, and clearcoat?

BenC
11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
LOL ive done that. wicked work tho

SR240SX
11-24-2008, 03:58 PM
For those who have painted theyre stock/aftermarket wheels, Do you paint the inside of the wheel? I always thought paiting just the face would get quite a bit of overspray on the inside of the wheel and look funny..maybe not?:dunno:

dj_rice
11-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by SR240SX
For those who have painted theyre stock/aftermarket wheels, Do you paint the inside of the wheel? I always thought paiting just the face would get quite a bit of overspray on the inside of the wheel and look funny..maybe not?:dunno:

When I painted mine gloss black, I painted the insides also just so it was all black and not half silver half black

S13_Ryan
12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Im thinking im going to grab some paint. mask off my wheels and give them some color. the wheels are Manaray mesh. and id like to keep the lip polished. but i want to paint the spokes gunmetal, or something close to black. i have no idea what im doing.

anybody whos knowledgeable please post here or send me a PM.

thanks