PDA

View Full Version : Walking/Jogging/Running in winter - what to wear?

bituerbo
11-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Hello workout experts,

I'm notoriously inactive during the winter months. During the summers I'll go for a walk/light jog at night to get some exercise, but that's something I've NEVER done in the winter.

I do have a gym membership, but I really enjoy the fresh outdoors air, plus hopping in my car and driving 15 minutes each way, plus the 5-10 mins in the change-room just for a 30 or 45 minute session on a treadmill/cross-trainer just doesn't seem worthwhile if I'm not doing weights also.

I have a decent winter Columbia jacket which has a removable fleece liner, I think that (without the liner) along with 2 long-sleeve cotton layers underneath would suffice for my upper body, but what to do for lower body?

All I have are gym shorts, jeans, dress pants and 1-2 pairs of over-sized sweatpants I would be pretty embarrassed to wear outside. Any thoughts on something I could pick up to keep my lower half warm?

Thanks,

Honda EXR
11-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Go to Mark's Workware house and grab some microfiber long johns. They are light but very warm. Go to walmart and pick up some $10 sweatpants and you're good to go!

grocko
11-24-2008, 12:03 AM
How long are your runs usually? I used to run quite often (5+ days a week, about 30 minutes/run) and found that even in the coldest weather last winter I was fine in some insulated warm-up pants...hands and head were body parts I always had trouble keeping warm... :thumbsup:

rc2002
11-24-2008, 12:14 AM
Tights work very well. If you're self concious then you can wear something over top of them.

CLiVE
11-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Tights work very well. If you're self concious then you can wear something over top of them.

Same. Underarmor Cold Gear Compression Fit, plus compression fit top, light weight running jacket, or soft shell depending on the weather.

kerry
11-24-2008, 01:42 AM
Under Armour makes great layering gear. Get their shit. Infact, you can use that 25% off thing at Sport Chek this week and get a deal. Be ready for the cold to hurt your lungs though. It sucks balls. That's the thing I hate the most about running in the winter.

bituerbo
11-27-2008, 01:46 PM
well I went for a light jog/walk last night, 15km and stayed quite warm thanks to all the suggestions. I didn't get anything UA, I find it overpriced for what it is...

core_upt
11-27-2008, 01:54 PM
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442622314&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698355&bmUID=1227815357527

These from MEC are awesome for $40. I wear them with shorts over running and get a little warm after 30 mins.

I also use them skiing with a thinly lined shell pant over and they keep me warm.

For upper body, i'll wear a moisture wicking long sleeve and then a softshell, or wind-resistant fleece.

The key, top and bottom, is NO COTTON. Cotton doesn't wick moisture, so your sweat pools and will then get really cold, really quick. no tshirts, sweat pants, etc, unless they wick moisture.

Anyone have suggestions on ice cleats? I'm looking at the Yaktrax grip things. Anything better? Prices?

CLiVE
11-27-2008, 02:27 PM
http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Just screw your shoes! :eek:

I only use cleats on the worst days. Other days just be careful and shorten your stride on ice, etc.

Or buy a pair of Asics Gel artics with spikes.
http://www.holabirdsports.com/m/Running/Running-Shoes_Men/Asics/p1/042898.htm

I have used something similar to yaktrax in the past but found the snow built up between them and the shoe, and in Calgary our roads/sidewalks are dry a lot of the time. Oh, and buy a waterproof/resistant shoe for winter. I use the Saucony Grid Propel NxGen Dry for winter. There are a lot of good trail running shoes that will work also.

Rstar
11-27-2008, 03:06 PM
wool socks!

sevewone
10-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE

Or buy a pair of Asics Gel artics with spikes.
http://www.holabirdsports.com/m/Running/Running-Shoes_Men/Asics/p1/042898.htm

I have used something similar to yaktrax in the past but found the snow built up between them and the shoe, and in Calgary our roads/sidewalks are dry a lot of the time. Oh, and buy a waterproof/resistant shoe for winter. I use the Saucony Grid Propel NxGen Dry for winter. There are a lot of good trail running shoes that will work also.

I literally JUST bought a new pair of adidas's that have a screen like material at the toe of the shoe..do you think my feet will be soaked after a few hours of running on snow?
On another note, do you really think all these under armour/spandex fancy clothing is really nessesariy for running in the winter? For the last 6 months, and still, ive just been using my ghetto track pants, free kokanne tshirt and ive had no problem. Im also only running about hour, hour 15ish as well.

revelations
10-22-2009, 08:13 PM
I ran in -25 weather last winter with no problems.

The snow in Calgary during the cold days doesent stick to anything so I wouldnt worry about it too much, unless youre running past ankle-deep snow and you get some in your shoe.

Most of my attire I was able to find at Walmart.

Upper:

Neck warmer or turtle neck sweater
Toque
long sleeve tshirt (synthetic)
Hoodie (synthetic)
Running jacket (synthetic, that I wear spring/fall)

Lower:

Thick sweat pants
Thin sweat pants
Thick socks

sevewone
10-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I ran in -25 weather last winter with no problems.

The snow in Calgary during the cold days doesent stick to anything so I wouldnt worry about it too much, unless youre running past ankle-deep snow and you get some in your shoe.

Most of my attire I was able to find at Walmart.

Upper:

Neck warmer or turtle neck sweater
Toque
long sleeve tshirt (synthetic)
Hoodie (synthetic)
Running jacket (synthetic, that I wear spring/fall)

Lower:

Thick sweat pants
Thin sweat pants
Thick socks

yeah I will definitely have to get some long johns or something! thanks man for the tips

schmooot
10-27-2009, 12:15 PM
longjohns and gawdy shorts ftw ha