PDA

View Full Version : How to easily repair painted side mirror?

szw
11-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I was parked on the street and someone clipped my mirror. Now the casing (not the actual mirror structure) is very loose and I can see a big crack on the bottom making it loose. Surprisingly the rest of the case looks to be in good condition so I'd like to just glue this back together so it isn't loose.

Can I just use superglue? If not, what other strong-bonding option can I use? I don't care too much about how it looks since its be on the bottom of the mirror.

mr2mike
11-24-2008, 12:05 PM
I would try glue, its plastic so it should work. Just wipe excess off or you'll never get it off. You would have to run some flexible bondo in there to get the crack totally sealed and then paint it to get rid of the crack. If its a dark color, I'm sure you'll never see the crack.

If the whole assembly is loose, it could be that you'll have to drop the door panel, then take the mirror off and put some larger screws to hold it or use washers, etc. Not sure not having seen it. But those are options.

Weapon_R
11-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Plastic is notoriously difficult to bond with plain crazy glue. I doubt it would hold at higher speeds.

Your best bet is to find a glue specifically made for plastic. I recall something at walmart called "Plumbers glue" that bonds plastic pretty good, but you'll have to glue it and clamp it down for a day or two to let it bond.

Tik-Tok
11-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Your best bet is to find a glue specifically made for glue.

Yeah, glue made for glue is definitely good stuff... wait... what?

Weapon_R
11-24-2008, 12:25 PM
:rofl: fixed

frozenrice
11-24-2008, 11:15 PM
JB Weld works well too.

szw
11-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks guys I'll check out walmart this weekend.

topmade
11-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Don't use glue, it's not flexible enough and WILL crack. I've tried it thinking the same thing because it's plastic. Bondo or JB Weld or something that is flexible would be better.

FilthyMcNasty
11-25-2008, 10:29 AM
take your mirror off completely if possible. Use epoxy glue to fix the crack and let it dry for 2 days. Then put it back on.