PDA

View Full Version : g35 vs 350z in the winter

2.2vtec
09-24-2003, 10:50 PM
Can you drive any of these cars in the winter?? I know the g35 has traction control but it comes as an option in the 350z. Does that mean you can drive both of these cars in the winter months. I thinking about purchasing one at the end of the year but don't want to spend 40+ thousand on a car and can only drive 4 months of the year. Input please

GTS Jeff
09-24-2003, 10:54 PM
either one should be fine as long as they have the lsd AND vdc

and theoretically the g35c should fare better with its longer wheelbase and less power

ACS-e36
09-24-2003, 10:56 PM
SANDBAGS

Redlyne_mr2
09-24-2003, 11:02 PM
I wouldnt drive the 350z in the winter..but thats just me

Boostn
09-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I wouldnt drive the 350z in the winter..but thats just me

I wouldn't either. If you can afford one of those, you should be able to fork out a few bucks for a reliable winter beater.

Tuner1
09-24-2003, 11:23 PM
They would both be great cars in the winter as long as you have some dedicated winter tires on them.

I can't understand why the majority of the car buying public has turned into such useless wimps. ALL of your parents drove RWD cars with crappy bias-ply tires, no LSD, ABS, VDC, ASC, ESP, etc for years through Calgary winters. You can still do the same today.

LEARN SOME DRIVING SKILLS!

Rob

04blackMAX
09-24-2003, 11:31 PM
u gonna be driving the nsx this winter??

Ashkente
09-24-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by E36S50B32
ALL of your parents drove RWD cars with crappy bias-ply tires, no LSD, ABS, VDC, ASC, ESP, etc for years through Calgary winters. You can still do the same today.

Heh, mine still do! Albiet with radials now..

bookem
09-24-2003, 11:41 PM
The G35C is crap in winter with the stock all-seasons. Don't think about driving it of there's more than a few inches of fresh snow on the roads, you'll be plowing the streets.

James
09-24-2003, 11:47 PM
Im sure it would be fine, i just wouldnt drive either or those cars for the reason of gettin rock chips etc.., i drove my MR2 NO PROBLEM last winter, good tires makes all the difference, but come spring the front end had taken more abuse then rodney king.

benyl
09-25-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Boostn

I wouldn't either. If you can afford one of those, you should be able to fork out a few bucks for a reliable winter beater.

If you can afford one of those, you can afford to get it fixed every summer. Rock chips are a reality in Calgary that you can't avoid, even after the streets are clean. Aparently the 3M bras aren't bad.

Cars are meant to be driven, not stored over the winter.

5.9 R/T
09-25-2003, 12:47 AM
G35 sedan fairs jsut as well as fwders with the stock tires in the winter.

Loose
09-25-2003, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't even consider driving them on factory tires.

If you shelled ou for a set of steelies and blizzaks, you'd be better off than 75% of the car on the road.

rage2
09-25-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by E36S50B32
I can't understand why the majority of the car buying public has turned into such useless wimps. ALL of your parents drove RWD cars with crappy bias-ply tires, no LSD, ABS, VDC, ASC, ESP, etc for years through Calgary winters. You can still do the same today.

LEARN SOME DRIVING SKILLS!
:rofl:

No kidding. Cars are meant to be driven, not stored. Winter tires and 3M clear bra, any car can be made a winter car. Avoiding winter idiots is another dumb excuse that I've heard, look at my car, attracted 2 idiots in perfectly dry summer weather... just luck of the draw.

I see some ppl store cars that others use as winter beaters... I find it funny :).

Loose
09-25-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I see some ppl store cars that others use as winter beaters... I find it funny :).

Stangely Edmonton's fastests DSM's go into winter hibernation:dunno:

max_boost
09-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Well some cars need to be stored due to the nature of their modifications!

I mean who would want to drive a show car through the precarious winter of Calgary! haha

KLCC
09-25-2003, 10:20 AM
hypothetically.......

if you own a ferrari, you would drive in the snow? with decent blizzak and 3m Clear bra?

max_boost
09-25-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by KLCC
hypothetically.......

if you own a ferrari, you would drive in the snow? with decent blizzak and 3m Clear bra? Hell Yah!!! :hitit:

GTS Jeff
09-25-2003, 11:17 AM
driving my car thru the winter is going to cost me at least $4000 including the cost of gas, insurance, maintenance, repairs, and the urge to mod...

i am parking my car this winter to save that money for bodywork next summer. otherwise id be driving my car in the winter, seeing as it is nothing more than a fun winter beater anyway.

benyl
09-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Plus RWD cars are great for slow speed drifting!!!! and you don't chew your tires as bad.

If I had a Ferrari, I am sure I could afford a Hummer H1... that would be my winter beater.

buh_buh
09-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I mean who would want to drive a show car through the precarious winter of Calgary! haha :werd:

Oh wait I did.... on summer's too. Its not that bad. You just have to learn to not drive like a jackass. My car is lowered like 3.5" with a kit and I drove on Paradas in the winter last year, and I came out unscathed. :D Its all in how you drive.

max_boost
09-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
:werd:

Oh wait I did.... on summer's too. Its not that bad. You just have to learn to not drive like a jackass. My car is lowered like 3.5" with a kit and I drove on Paradas in the winter last year, and I came out unscathed. :D Its all in how you drive. :rofl: Only pimps can do stuff like that:bigpimp:

Tuner1
09-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Loose

Stangely Edmonton's fastests DSM's go into winter hibernation:dunno:

That is insane!!!!! My DSM is just getting prepped (more power!) ready for this winter :D

Rob

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
driving my car thru the winter is going to cost me at least $4000 including the cost of gas, insurance, maintenance, repairs, and the urge to mod...

i am parking my car this winter to save that money for bodywork next summer. otherwise id be driving my car in the winter, seeing as it is nothing more than a fun winter beater anyway.

does driving a modded car, or any "unprepared-for-winter" car during winter really do that much damage?

well if anything, winter is always good cause I drive more safely.
I've been having too much time on the dirt roads in bearspaw lately....drifting is fun!

kenny
10-06-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by rage2

No kidding. Cars are meant to be driven, not stored. Winter tires and 3M clear bra, any car can be made a winter car. Avoiding winter idiots is another dumb excuse that I've heard, look at my car, attracted 2 idiots in perfectly dry summer weather... just luck of the draw.

Exactly, if you want to avoid winter idiots, most of them are weeded out in the first couple snowstorms anyways and then after that you can spot them in the A1 courtesy cars after that. Pretty easy to spot. Once you see one of those A1 cars, just pull over and let them pass haha.