PDA

View Full Version : How soon are you going to lose your job?!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

oz388
11-25-2008, 10:58 PM
If you are sensitive enough you should realize a huge crash of Alberta's economy is on its way. If it's gonna happen, when do you think is your last day in the office? :nut:

For me I will say the end of January 2009 :bigpimp:

Graham_A_M
11-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Wow I hate threads or statements like this, they just instill panic and uncertainty, which only proves these notions to be right. :banghead: Even though I'm in the oilfield manufactering business, I'm not going anywhere. Yes its slowed down, but its not nearly NEARLY as bad as what the US is going through.

badatusrnames
11-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Wow I hate threads or statements like this, they just instill panic and uncertainty, which only proves these notions to be right. :banghead: Even though I'm in the oilfield manufactering business, I'm not going anywhere. Yes its slowed down, but its not nearly NEARLY as bad as what the US is going through.

:werd:

It's a sort of feedback loop or self fulfilling prophecy. The economy hasn't actually gone down the crapper, but people putting themselves into a holding pattern because they are being told that things are going to be bad has the effect of actually doing so.

Like Churchill said:

Keep calm and carry on.

1997GSR
where i am, not anytime soon. there is so much work within our group we are bringing in two more people and calling back a summer student. our company is positioned to weather the storm. i'm very lucky.

calgarys_finest
I love working with people like you. It means you will lose your job and i will get that raise ive been working towards. Thanks for making my life easier.

doublet
11-25-2008, 11:05 PM
never. love the security of a healthcare related job in rural alberta.

Tik-Tok
11-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Whenever I decide to quit. :dunno:

My job hasn't been affected good or bad from the boom, and won't be affected by a crash.

eblend
11-25-2008, 11:10 PM
not going anywhere, government related job and well positioned, no slowdown for us at all

oz388
11-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Your government people are so lucky! By the way, is the city really gonna charge $3 a day for parking at train station??!! :dunno:

Xtrema
11-25-2008, 11:17 PM
whatever. When the hiring sign starting to come off Tim Hortons, I'll worry.

Kloubek
11-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I work (somewhat indirectly) in retail. You'd think this would mean that with a looming recession, and people buying less, that my job would be dicey. But you know what? I really have never felt more secure than I do today. It is exactly for that reason I've decided to stay where I am (for the time being at least) instead of moving on to a potentially higher paying job. There's something to be said about job security.

The sky might be falling in the minds of people such as yourself, but I really think it's overhyped to some degree.

88jbody
11-25-2008, 11:21 PM
huge crash? what are you talking about
ok so we only have a 2B surplus this year instead of the projected 8 big drop yes, but oil price right now is almost the same it was about 4 years ago. so things are not that bad.

infact I hope to get a raise in spring

the people who will loose jobs will be the ones with no or little work ethic or not pulling their weight at their job

badatusrnames
11-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody
the people who will loose jobs will be the ones with no or little work ethic or not pulling their weight at their job

True. The last little while, desperate companies were forced to hire employees that were under qualified and pay them inflated wages. If anything, you'll see companies start to trim those people away.

oz388
11-25-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody
...but oil price right now is almost the same it was about 4 years ago. so things are not that bad.

infact I hope to get a raise in spring

Do you remember the population of Calgary at 4 years ago? Now it's 1 million, so how many increased during the oil boom in the past 4 years? If now the oil price fall back to before boom level, do you think the city can still feed 1 million people??

badatusrnames
11-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by oz388

Do you remember the population of Calgary at 4 years ago? Now it's 1 million, so how many increased during the oil boom in the past 4 years? If now the oil price fall back to before boom level, do you think the city can still feed 1 million people??

http://disney-clipart.com/Chicken-Little/Disney-Chicken-Little-Sky-Falling.jpg

:facepalm:

I think it was a shade under 1 million.

So what are you basing your expert opinion on oz388? The ruminations of a sensationalist media trying to sell papers and grab ratings?

Remember when the media was telling us that bird flu was going to kill us all?

Do you realize that Calgary has and excess of cash right now? Times aren't just good, they're really good for a lot of people - far beyond just being able to just barely feed themselves. Even if things do slow down a bit, people definitely aren't going to go hungry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Anxiety_Center

revelations
11-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
whatever. When the hiring sign starting to come off Tim Hortons, I'll worry.

:rofl: so true

Lex350
11-25-2008, 11:47 PM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Fuck I hate people like the thread starter. You people deserve to lose your jobs. Hell I'm starting a new business now. The way I see it is if you can make it work now you're gold!

Mikespecr1
11-26-2008, 12:01 AM
laid off today because of oil pach cut backs and so where 50 other people. It is going too suck.:(

97'Scort
11-26-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm in BC for god sakes and the Alberta guys are recruiting out here. I saw a Halliburton and a Schlumberger rep out here in the last two weeks.

89s1
11-26-2008, 12:17 AM
I work at a sport and luxury boat dealership, and we just sold a boat last week. Looks like money is still changing hands out there, and i'm keeping my job. :facepalm:

:clap: Chicken little jpg :clap:

Antonito
11-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

True. The last little while, desperate companies were forced to hire employees that were under qualified and pay them inflated wages. If anything, you'll see companies start to trim those people away.

It's odd, you seem to think that there will be people "trimmed away"....but then say that reports of layoffs are "Chicken Little" type stuff.

barmanjay
11-26-2008, 12:43 AM
I won't be going anywhere just yet

only in a stagnant real estate market will I be looking for other work.

if it crashes, people will be looking for the deals and some wanting to get out now

in an uprise, everyone wants to sell to make money and people want to buy before prices get too high.

never-ending cycle

everyone needs a roof over their head.

3 main needs of life: food on the table, clothes on your back, roof over your head.

stagnant - no-one buys or sells = no job for me

A790
11-26-2008, 12:44 AM
If you are sensitive enough you should realize a huge crash of Alberta's economy is on its way. If it's gonna happen, when do you think is your last day in the office? :nut:

For me I will say the end of January 2009 :bigpimp:
I work online and operate independent of market trends. In the event of a crash I shift my focus to products suited to an economic decline.

In fact, 2009 is going to be a record year for me based on the last three months. :D

black_2.5RS
11-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Accounting firm - no changes here. Office is projecting growth for the year. So far, so good. Companies have to spend the money if they want to stay listed on the TSX.

KLCC
11-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Not going anywhere soon - Our company is WAY understaffed, so we have no plan to trim off excess worker.

max_boost
11-26-2008, 01:39 AM
When people decide to stop eating Chinese food altogether. :drool:

jjmac
11-26-2008, 01:46 AM
Manufacturing has definitely slowed down for us, but I don't see an end in sight as far as my position goes. Lots of projects to be done. Surprisingly, I even managed to get a raise :thumbsup:. Just make yourself valuable to the company and you should be able to ride out this recession that we are going through.

Oh and since I got a raise.....

THE BEERS ARE ON ME!! lol

blownz
11-26-2008, 09:57 AM
The nice thing about accounting is companies always need accountants. :thumbsup:

I am prefectly fine where I am because as Controller I only report to the owner and layoffs would only happen below me. And the only variable positions at our company is shop staff and some of the sales guys. And so far we have just been experiencing a mild slow down so we are not laying anyone off. We have just gone from being short staffed to being comfortable.

Only downside is that with magins being sqeezed the last half of this year and presumably for most of next year is that my bonus next month will take quite a hit compared to last year. And I may get no raise or just a really small on in the new year.

The people that have to worry are the unskilled labour guys. Those are the jobs that are going to suffer. And the last few years many of these people have been way overpaid for what they do.

Rat Fink
11-26-2008, 10:13 AM

kaput
11-26-2008, 10:14 AM

Jlude
11-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
When people decide to stop eating Chinese food altogether. :drool:

you're safe! :rofl:

CSMRX7
11-26-2008, 10:20 AM
We haven't seen a slow down. Downstream oil and gas will see that, but as an upstream service provider we will only see cuts in exploration budget.

We just had a record quarter, and are seeing continued growth through next year.

hampstor
11-26-2008, 10:32 AM

It's attitudes like that that will prolong a slowdown.

Please, hold onto your money and cut back your spending to prepare for this 'crash' you are expecting will happen. The businesses you were going to spend money on don't need it and they don't need money to pay wages to their employees. :rolleyes:

n1zm0
11-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

My job hasn't been affected good or bad from the boom, and won't be affected by a crash.

same here, there are too many rich ass Calgarians that have $ to burn learning how to fly/renting a/c, lol i found your last one arguable for the industry you work in. :poosie:

Wehbeast
11-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by doublet
never. love the security of a healthcare related job in rural alberta.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:werd:

EvolutionI
11-26-2008, 11:03 AM
When I'm done school, and quit. They aren't going to fire me, because they aren't going to find someone to replace me very easily.

bashir26
11-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by A790

I work online and operate independent of market trends. In the event of a crash I shift my focus to products suited to an economic decline.

In fact, 2009 is going to be a record year for me based on the last three months. :D

what do you do exactly? affiliate marketing?

QuasarCav
11-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by bashir26

Throw Cameron Martel into Google. Make yourself a cup of coffee first though.

AZ REALTY
11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
I buy/sell REO foreclosures so business is booming.

benyl
11-26-2008, 12:59 PM
whatever. When the hiring sign starting to come off Tim Hortons, I'll worry. :werd:

reiRei
11-26-2008, 01:15 PM
I work at the paper, and they've shut down the production staff of a few of the smaller papers.. my work is ever-growing.. I won't be going anywhere any time soon

TYMSMNY
11-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Brokerage Firm... Round 1 of layoffs should be done by now.

googe
11-26-2008, 02:17 PM
all the bay area tech companies are getting hit hard, and they have nothing to do with the problem industries. ripple effect through every market. i got my 60 day layoff notice but another team picked me up so I dodged a bullet.

O&G has the best chance of surviving, but it'll be hit too. half of ontario packed their bags and headed west because they manufacturing industry disappeared overnight, and its gonna be worse for them if the US automakers dont get bailed out.

marketing actually gets hit really hard too. when money is tight, budget goes to operations, and they take less of a chance buying ads.

thrasher22
11-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by googe
marketing actually gets hit really hard too. when money is tight, budget goes to operations, and they take less of a chance buying ads.

:werd: everyone in media should be a bit worried. Fortunately at my company (for me) they've had a few rounds of layoffs in the last couple years so there isn't a lot of fat to trim.

A790
11-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by bashir26

Bingo.

Originally posted by QuasarCav
Throw Cameron Martel into Google. Make yourself a cup of coffee first though.
Haha, I just skimmed through 3 pages of bought/distributed articles I had done. Oh the memories. I do much more PPC based marketing now, though I am still quite involved in SEO. :)

autumnrain
11-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Mikespecr1
laid off today because of oil pach cut backs and so where 50 other people. It is going too suck.:(

which company?

Euro838
11-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Well, it was in the news but if you are related to Petro-Canada's Fort Hills Project, expect to be hit. I believe they had 18 EPCs working for them. I heard contractors(internal) will not be renewed either. I'd assume their partners UTS Energy and Teck Cominco are going to feel the same impact if they haven't already done so.

From the posts here, looks like many of you are lucky right now and possibly into the future but if things do not significantly improve with either oil prices and/or credit market, I wouldn't be so optimistic if you want to remain in this industry and prosper like the past few years. A lot of the large projects are probably going to shift from a schedule priority to a cost priority. I'm sure they'll be completed, but it will no longer be at any price.

Anyways, it appears the only place that seems to be secure is with the city or gov't service as they are raking in more money from it's citizens than ever.

Perfect Dark
11-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Mikespecr1

Yeah I figured you guys would be hurting a bit....we lost 52 guys yesterday as well.

schocker
11-26-2008, 05:10 PM
I was just working part time since i am a student, but i got laid off yesterday because of shortage of work, then someone also put their door into my rear fender while i was at school after work. Now I am just wasting my last hour away in my office on beyond. :banghead:

sr20s14zenki
11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
NEVER!!. Welders will always be in demand, as will iron workers. Who will put up your buildings without us? :poosie:

lint
11-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

It's attitudes like that that will prolong a slowdown.

Please, hold onto your money and cut back your spending to prepare for this 'crash' you are expecting will happen. The businesses you were going to spend money on don't need it and they don't need money to pay wages to their employees. :rolleyes:

... real estate will only go up, we'll never see $50/barrel oil again...

What exactly is wrong with being a little more careful financially given the current economic outlook?

old&slow
11-26-2008, 05:40 PM
The same idiot "experts" that predicted $200 barrel oil are now predicting $45 oil?...or are they different "experts"?

Everyone holding off cause the media dispels whatever whatever the latest doom and gloom happens to be.

Oil is at 2005 levels...in 2005, Fort Mac was going crazy and couldn't find workers...what's changed? Aside from oil going to ridiculously high levels and dropping like a stone all in 6 months?

God damn media and experts need an boot in the ass!!

Xtrema
11-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
Teck Cominco are going to feel the same impact if they haven't already done so.

Tech is $10B in debt. They are terminating contractors already. Staff may be affected too.

Originally posted by old&slow
Oil is at 2005 levels...in 2005, Fort Mac was going crazy and couldn't find workers...what's changed? Aside from oil going to ridiculously high levels and dropping like a stone all in 6 months?

Cost structure changed, how would you like a 20% paid cut back to 2005 levels?

Euro838
11-26-2008, 05:43 PM
What's changed is that EPCs, contractors and everyone has basically doubled their rates so it's no longer feasible to carry out these projects.

I wouldn't be surprised if the breakeven point for oilsands projects was closer to US$100/bbl.

4DoorGTZ
11-26-2008, 05:43 PM
My job is oil & gas exploration/operation dependant.... things have slowed down a lot... only working a couple days a week right now. But I've already outpaced last years earnings by aprox 20%. Those in my field that live paycheque to paycheque are hurting, but thats only because they dont plan for the bad when things are good.

Jlude
11-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by googe
all the bay area tech companies are getting hit hard

That's what I've been hearing/seeing

autosm
11-26-2008, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by old&slow
[B]

Everyone holding off cause the media dispels whatever whatever the latest doom and gloom happens to be.

The costs are way higher today than 04/05. Land, Taxes ,labor, materials and just about everything else. Oil has to be higher to make it worth while.

Kobe
11-26-2008, 07:50 PM
People still work now a days?

2000impreza
11-26-2008, 08:04 PM
I've seen quite a few silent layoffs. Nothing publically announced. A consulting firm I use to work for off shaved 10% of staff last week. This is only the first round of layoffs after being hit by declining profits and slowing economy in Q3 2008. I know of several O&G companies which have put an hiring freeze on until Q2/Q3 of 2009. Slowdown is definitely well on its way.

hampstor
11-26-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm in a Health related industry. People will still get sick whether they are rich or poor, and I will have a job. :)

Pacman
11-26-2008, 09:28 PM
My wife is an engineer at Petro, and they went through a few departments with an axe last week. Both contractors and staff were "re-deployed" and given notice.

She's usually works in a few different offices so she's out of the loop, so it's hard to get absolute numbers on the severity of the layoffs.

Originally posted by Euro838
Well, it was in the news but if you are related to Petro-Canada's Fort Hills Project, expect to be hit. I believe they had 18 EPCs working for them. I heard contractors(internal) will not be renewed either. I'd assume their partners UTS Energy and Teck Cominco are going to feel the same impact if they haven't already done so.

From the posts here, looks like many of you are lucky right now and possibly into the future but if things do not significantly improve with either oil prices and/or credit market, I wouldn't be so optimistic if you want to remain in this industry and prosper like the past few years. A lot of the large projects are probably going to shift from a schedule priority to a cost priority. I'm sure they'll be completed, but it will no longer be at any price.

Anyways, it appears the only place that seems to be secure is with the city or gov't service as they are raking in more money from it's citizens than ever.

adam c
11-26-2008, 09:32 PM
if you check out job boards, there's still thousands of jobs in calgary

there's nothing to worry about unless you are a bottom feeder

if people are hurting for a pt job or even a normal job, i'll help them out. it won't be the best job but it's money in their pockets

WWJAI
12-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I had an interview with an oil & gas company this week and they called to cancel the interview because they cancelled the job opening. :banghead:

r0g3r
12-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
I'm in a Health related industry. People will still get sick whether they are rich or poor, and I will have a job. :)

sweet , are you a doctor?

i like the benefits of a health related job too...

ExtraSlow
12-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI
I had an interview with an oil & gas company this week and they called to cancel the interview because they cancelled the job opening. :banghead:

The O&G company I work for is considering delaying some job postings until the market improves. No point hiring someone if there isn't any work to do.

WWJAI
12-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

The O&G company I work for is considering delaying some job postings until the market improves. No point hiring someone if there isn't any work to do.

Yes I was already surprised they even called me for an interview but got my hopes up since I did want a career in oil & gas.
Becoming a graduate soon...frustrating to find a job right now.

natejj
12-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Air traffic is down 10%, therefore Revenue is down 10%, therefore Nav Canada is shutting down maybe 5-10 sites next year, don't know how many lay offs, hopefully they just offer retirement bonuses to the old geezers before kicking out us young guys they just spent 100 grand training.

n1zm0
12-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by natejj
Air traffic is down 10%, therefore Revenue is down 10%, therefore Nav Canada is shutting down maybe 5-10 sites next year, don't know how many lay offs, hopefully they just offer retirement bonuses to the old geezers before kicking out us young guys they just spent 100 grand training.

you obviously mean in regards to the commercial aircraft industry, here at a flight training unit i see ppl come in for lessons (ground briefing and flights) every single day 8-3 except on shitty weather days.
They actually bitch about not being able to come here and spend their money on a weather day like today. :nut:

Fken pilots eh? :D

in*10*se
12-11-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by black_2.5RS
Accounting firm - no changes here. Office is projecting growth for the year. So far, so good. Companies have to spend the money if they want to stay listed on the TSX.

e&y laid off 5% nationally
cb laid off like 8 associates/sr's

really now... only new business accounting firms will be getting are mergers/acquistions/bankruptcy of jr o&g's amalgamating or folding.

there will be no prospectous's for sure in the new year...

if you think you're safe... so be it. god knows half the staff at the big 4 are making damn sure their utilization is reaonably high.

additionally, ibankers are getting axed, and the same for the research associates.... so really now... yeah... everyone is expendible...

in*10*se
12-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
NEVER!!. Welders will always be in demand, as will iron workers. Who will put up your buildings without us? :poosie:

pfftt... what if they're no buildings to build smrt ass?

blownz
12-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Taken from an article in the Financial Post regarding projected layoffs in 2009:

The lone bright spot were the fields of law and accounting. Even with the downturn, none of the companies that responded to the survey plan to change their original staffing forecasts for 2009

Accounting is never referred to as a glamorous job, but at least they are always needed. :thumbsup:

Personally I am lucky that on the finance side of our company I have the highest position so it will never be cut. I just have to worry about my bonus and other perks.

turbotrip
12-11-2008, 11:48 AM
half the desks around me here at jacobs have emptied over the last 2 weeks, im starting to feel a little lonely lol
but im sure its not for too long as I will probably be next to get the pink slip hahaha

The Cosworth
12-11-2008, 12:07 PM
so maybe to post a question here, how many of you people who are laid off have found a job somewhere else?

Jlude
12-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth
so maybe to post a question here, how many of you people who are laid off have found a job somewhere else?

Good question... and was the next job at the same rate/position of the last?

Xtrema
12-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

Good question... and was the next job at the same rate/position of the last?

I really doubt it if you apply the rule of supply and demand.

People got to cost less before project will start again.

Originally posted by adam c
if you check out job boards, there's still thousands of jobs in calgary

there's nothing to worry about unless you are a bottom feeder

if people are hurting for a pt job or even a normal job, i'll help them out. it won't be the best job but it's money in their pockets

Quantity of jobs will still be there, but expect the quality of jobs will start to depreciate fast. By end of 09, you'll probably see $8-$9/hr jobs again.

Jlude
12-11-2008, 04:13 PM

I really doubt it if you apply the rule of supply and demand.

People got to cost less before project will start again.

Of course, which is why I thought I'd throw that question out there. I'm curious to see if anyone was able to maintain their rate/position.

Very unlikely.

Xtrema
12-11-2008, 04:17 PM

Of course, which is why I thought I'd throw that question out there. I'm curious to see if anyone was able to maintain their rate/position.

Very unlikely.

People who unfortunately that got less will not advertise. Unless it means going from $2M/yr to $1M/yr, even then.....

Jlude
12-11-2008, 04:22 PM

People who unfortunately that got less will not advertise. Unless it means going from $2M/yr to $1M/yr, even then.....

Of course they won't... so if anyone happened to slip into the exact position within another company, I'd like to know.

I don't expect anyone to post saying "I had to take $3/hr less at the company down the street", and I didn't ask for anyone to advertise their misfortune.

blownz
12-12-2008, 10:53 AM

Very unlikely.

Well I have 2 friends here in Edmonton that in the last month quit thier jobs for new jobs. One guy went to same level with about 10% extra pay and the other guy went to a level higher with about a 25% increase in pay.

I think there are still lots of well paying jobs for people with an education. I do agree though that high school only educated people are going to start taking pay cuts.

We just hired our first person in our shop in over a year at $13 an hour to start. The past year we haven't been able to get anyone at less than $15 to start. For the first time this January we are not going to give any raises to shop staff over $15 an hour because if they leave we will finally be able to rehire at a decent savings.

For the record this is only for our most basic shop positions where really anyone can do the job.

ExtraSlow
12-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Just got our yearly bonus and raise letters. It wasn't anyhting big like it would have been two years ago, but I got a raise and a bonus.

Can't complain.

Celica TVS3
12-15-2008, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by in*10*se

additionally, ibankers are getting axed, and the same for the research associates.... so really now... yeah... everyone is expendible...

Very true, Research Analysts too. BMO let a couple go a couple weeks ago. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I lost my job in Q1/09. (Research Associate)

Forcefed
12-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Well, I dont really have much to worry about here. The thing is with my job, I work law enforcement, so when our economy is down, there is a direct result of an influx in crime which keep us SUPER busy.

I hope the best for everyone in the future and through x-mas

Supa Dexta
12-15-2008, 01:30 PM
From what I can tell a lot of oil companies are waiting for the new yr to get rolling, and we've already been busy as fuk... So I will be flat out till break up, at which point I planned to take the summer off again anyways. Sooo, even though I have a feeling it may be quite slow in the patch next summer, I will be off relaxin', so I should be golden.

Tik-Tok
12-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
From what I can tell a lot of oil companies are waiting for the new yr to get rolling, and we've already been busy as fuk... So I will be flat out till break up, at which point I planned to take the summer off again anyways. Sooo, even though I have a feeling it may be quite slow in the patch next summer, I will be off relaxin', so I should be golden.

Unless it's also a slow autumn/winter, and they don't take you back.

Supa Dexta
12-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Nah, won't be that slow. I can't see it anyways, they gotta put the holes in the ground in the winter one way or the other. Thats one of the good things about working for the big guys, they tend to keep steady work thru the slow times. And I do a ton of sagd project stuff as well, so they'll be something for me.

The Cosworth
12-15-2008, 02:45 PM
^^ I agree, even though prices are low now. They will come back with a vengence and the money the can make off the wells will be insane.

in*10*se
12-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Nah, won't be that slow. I can't see it anyways, they gotta put the holes in the ground in the winter one way or the other. Thats one of the good things about working for the big guys, they tend to keep steady work thru the slow times. And I do a ton of sagd project stuff as well, so they'll be something for me.

seeing as opti/nexen runs like the biggest sagd project in the oilsands and they've held off their phase 2, would be a good indication that things are slowing down.

Supa Dexta
12-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I didnt say they aren't slowing down. I simply said I do sagd work, where as many of our other guys don't, so I don't care where I'm drilling, I'm just pretty sure there is work when I want it. :dunno:

USED1
12-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se

seeing as opti/nexen runs like the biggest sagd project in the oilsands and they've held off their phase 2, would be a good indication that things are slowing down.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but they definitely aren't the largest SAGD project. There are quite a few larger projects than that (ie. EnCana Foster Creek, Imperial Oil - Cold Lake) and many others that are still developing.

On the drilling side there will still be a lot of activity in sustaining wells, even if they aren't drilling for new production.:banghead:

Supa Dexta
12-16-2008, 02:49 PM
I just did 6 weeks out in cold lake. Same old shit out there, as always.

in*10*se
12-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by USED1

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but they definitely aren't the largest SAGD project. There are quite a few larger projects than that (ie. EnCana Foster Creek, Imperial Oil - Cold Lake) and many others that are still developing.

On the drilling side there will still be a lot of activity in sustaining wells, even if they aren't drilling for new production.:banghead:

my apologies... "one of" should have been the qualifying statement.

oz388
01-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Half of my office is empty now =(

Celica TVS3
01-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Do you work for Penn West? They are planning to cut 200-300 consultants and employees. I think they cut a bunch of salaried staff today.

The Cosworth
01-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Half of my office is empty now =(

where was that?

Rumor mill is that Devon has their first round of layoffs monday

Dumbass17
01-16-2009, 07:23 PM
could be any day now...:thumbsdow

Supa Dexta
01-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Give me another solid month and I'm happy till fall.

Jlude
01-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Give me another solid month and I'm happy till fall.

I'm already good now.

If things were to slow down so bad that there wasn't any work... I'd just take a few months off... again! haha

I've only worked 3 months in the last 8.

civic_rida
01-17-2009, 03:32 PM
here is the story about pennwest

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Business/Oilpatch+layoffs+Penn+West+cuts+senior+management+slots/1186537/story.html

1997GSR
01-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
here is the story about pennwest

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Business/Oilpatch+layoffs+Penn+West+cuts+senior+management+slots/1186537/story.html

Interesting... i used to work for them.. wonder which execs got the axe.

harv91
01-17-2009, 06:22 PM
i got laid off :(
i mean im a part time student who only put in like 16 hours a week but still i lived off that funding.

they said it usually picks up in march / april so they said they would call me back right away in those months if they needed anyone.