View Full Version : Health Canada targets legal club drug

urban.one
11-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Health Canada targets legal club drug
BZP found to pose a risk

Tom Blackwell, National Post
Published: Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Health Canada is taking steps to all but ban a new, hallucinogenic party drug that it says is becoming increasingly popular, has potentially dangerous side effects and is essentially unregulated.

The department is proposing to declare BZP and other members of the piperazine class controlled substances, making possession and trafficking in the drugs a crime except for purposes authorized by the government. The move, announced in a notice published on Saturday, would effectively end the pills' current street status as the "legal ecstasy."

"These substances are increasingly being used recreationally for their stimulant and hallucinogenic properties," the regulator said in a statement. "Health Canada is ... concerned that these substances pose a risk to the health and safety of Canadians."

BZP offers users feelings of euphoria, alertness and energy, as well as hallucinations in larger doses. Reported side effects include appetite loss, nausea, moodiness, elevated blood pressure and rapid heart rate.

One Toronto-based distributor of BZP -- sold in pill form with benign names such as Peaq, Freq and Spun -- argued yesterday that he is offering a safe alternative to ecstasy and other, more potent substances such as methamphetamine, or crystal meth. Making piperazines illegal will only force their use underground, and push people to dabble in riskier drugs, said Adam Wookey, owner of Purepillz.

In fact, when Health Canada first issued a warning in July about piperazines, many retailers stopped selling the pills, said Mr. Wookey. His company, which distributes the drugs to stores and sells them online, was flooded with calls and e-mails from people who said they would revert to using alternatives like crystal meth if they could not get a supply of BZP.

"Why is it we have products like alcohol and tobacco that kill people regularly that are legal, and here we have a product that doesn't kill people ... and we're so quick to run and ban it?"

Piperazines have surprising origins. They were originally developed as de-worming medicine for livestock, though research in the 1970s found some benefits as human anti-depressants.

They came to the fore as recreational drugs in New Zealand, where an estimated 20 million have been sold legally in the past six years. For three years, they were regulated essentially as a tobacco-like product, with sales prohibited to anyone under 18, a ban on advertising, and health warnings required on packages. But then in April, amid increased concerns about the pills' safety, New Zealand effectively banned the drugs' recreational use.

The New Zealand Drug Foundation says they do not appear to be physically addictive, but describes a list of "very unpleasant" side effects.

One of the first controlled clinical trials of the drug, released earlier this year, compared BZP to alcohol and a combination of alcohol and BZP. The small-scale New Zealand study was stopped early because of concern about adverse reactions among those taking just BZP or the pills plus alcohol.

"We conclude that party pills commonly cause severe adverse reactions and have marked cardiovascular effects," the study by the Medical Institute of New Zealand concluded.

The Health Canada notice cites another New Zealand study that recorded 61 emergency-room admissions for BZP side effects at one hospital over five months.

Most were mild to moderate but two patients suffered life-threatening toxicity, the regulator says. There have been two deaths recorded elsewhere in the world, though both involved a combination of BZP and other substances.

The drug was suspected of playing a role in the July death of a Toronto man at a city nightclub, as he had reportedly taken BZP before collapsing, but the 55-year-old also had a heart condition and no proof of a link to the pills has emerged.

BZP seems to have similar effects --both desired and negative--as ecstasy, though there is little scientific data available on the substance, said Wende Wood, a psychiatric pharmacist at Toronto's Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. She questioned claims they are a safer alternative to ecstasy, but also said an outright ban might not achieve much.

"When you prohibit, it does not necessarily stop use," said Ms. Wood.

Meanwhile, Health Canada says it has seen a "steady increase" in the number of shipments of large quantities of both piperazine pills and bulk powder coming into the country.

Sgt. Brent Hill, a Toronto-area RCMP officer, confirmed that police are seeing more and more of the substance. It seems to be part of the growing popularity of synthetic chemical drugs, such as Ecstasy and methamphetamines, he said.

"You've got a pill-popping generation," he said. "You look at these pills and they're clean, they have nice pictures on them, stamps, different col-ours. It doesn't look harmful. Ignorance is bliss."

Purepillz has a store in dowtown Toronto, where a National Post photographer bought some of the pills yesterday. He was advised not to take them with "real" drugs or alcohol and to avoid them if he had a heart condition. After finding out later that his customer was a journalist, the clerk added that he would not normally have sold the drug without having him first fill out the proper "documents."

Health Canada says it is accepting input on its proposal for the next 30 days, before drafting a tentative new regulation and inviting more feedback. It says it does not want to ban legitimate industrial and medicinal uses of the drugs.

Jlude
11-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Health Canada targets legal club drug
BZP found to pose a risk

Tom Blackwell, National Post
Published: Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The department is proposing to declare BZP and other members of the piperazine class controlled substances, making possession and trafficking in the drugs a crime except for purposes authorized by the government. The move, announced in a notice published on Saturday, would effectively end the pills' current street status as the "legal ecstasy."

Of course!

em2ab
11-26-2008, 10:51 AM
The drug companies run Corporate America, what do you expect? :dunno: You can't make alcohol in your basement and sell it......but we can.

GQBalla
11-26-2008, 12:21 PM
wtf ive never heard of this

3g4u
11-26-2008, 12:25 PM
There is a drug out there that I dont know of yet:eek:

DJ_NAV
11-26-2008, 12:27 PM
can ya get it in calgary? anyone on beyond try it?

FilthyMcNasty
11-26-2008, 12:48 PM
ravepills.ca group buy??? haha j/k

GQBalla
11-26-2008, 01:08 PM
can this drug be detected in drug tests?

urban.one
11-26-2008, 01:22 PM
yeah ive never head of this stuff either. kinda why i posted the article.
must be the young kids.

nusneak
11-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
can this drug be detected in drug tests?
Almost anything can be detected in a test, who would care if there is a substance in your system that is not illegal?

Thomas Gabriel
11-26-2008, 01:45 PM
You can get this from Canadian websites easily. Stock up now!

sabad66
11-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Interesting... I'm pretty sure ecstasy used to be legal for a while so I would think this is the same type of situation. These things are however really expensive...just took a look at www.purepillz.ca and they want 20 bucks plus shipping for each pill

googe
11-26-2008, 02:07 PM
this has been really big in new zealand/australia for a long time now, I know someone that always used to talk about it. surprised it took so long to get over here.

GQBalla
11-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Interesting... I'm pretty sure ecstasy used to be legal for a while so I would think this is the same type of situation. These things are however really expensive...just took a look at www.purepillz.ca and they want 20 bucks plus shipping for each pill

are you serious???

its cheaper to buy Ecstasy lol

sabad66
11-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Yes but ecstasy is illegal :D I might order one off of this site just for hell of it. Says they ship in 2 days.

SueWong
12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

1997GSR
12-18-2008, 10:13 PM
^ lol

drtoohotty1
12-18-2008, 10:17 PM
i pretty sure this is the stuff that the new hair cut guys were selling at the tabboo show this year :rofl:

SneakyNeek
12-20-2008, 03:42 PM
didnt extasy used to be used as a wieght loss pill or somthing?

dragonone
12-23-2008, 01:46 AM
wow my friends and i are so out of the loop:nut:

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
12-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
wow my friends and i are so out of the loop:nut:

No shit man, I'm only 20 and neve head of the stuff..

I like the part at the end of the article where the officer claims ignorance is bliss, like he can claim to know any facts about any of the drugs he apprehends people for....