PDA

View Full Version : upgrading my PC

benyl
09-25-2003, 12:11 PM
hey guys,

I am looking to upgrade my PC. I have a P4 1.5 (Willamette) with 512 RDRAM and am looking to upgrade. GA-8TX-C mobo.

I want to sell that stuff and am kind of on a budget. Do you know what I could get for that?

I was thinking of overclocking it to get more speed, but apparently the Northwood P4s are better suited than the Willamette I have.

What is the best bang for the buck right now in terms of a processor? I know I have to get a new mobo and ram. I would probably stick with Intel, although I know that there are cheaper alternatives.

All the other piece, vid card, CD-ROM, etc... can be moved over to the new machine.

Khyron
09-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Unless you are doing rendering/3D stuff you won't really notice much improvement going from a 1.5 to a 2.4. Games are mostly dependant on the vid card and ram. Internet, mp3s, video etc hardly use modern processors.

I'd hold tight for awhile longer then try and sell the base system.

Selling just a mobo+proc won't get you much money (maybe 50 bucks?) :dunno:

Khyron

joejoe3
09-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Yea u should upgrade ur system after 3-4 years, and then u will see the difference between the 1.5 and the 2.4

I am running a 1.7, my gf has a 3.2 and i don't see the difference yet.

benyl
09-25-2003, 02:30 PM
ok, cool thanks for the advice guys... I guess I will just pick up a new Vid card.

I guess I don't want a shitty system when Half-Life 2 comes out.

VWhooligan
09-27-2003, 12:42 AM
half life 2 is going to be insane. it's delayed until next year though isnt it?

eur0
09-27-2003, 02:39 AM
northwood owns, you really want anything over 2gigs to run hl2, considering most games now require 1ghz+ speeds. just to be on the safe side...also a good vid card is crucial

hampstor
09-28-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by benyl
hey guys,

I am looking to upgrade my PC. I have a P4 1.5 (Willamette) with 512 RDRAM and am looking to upgrade. GA-8TX-C mobo.

I want to sell that stuff and am kind of on a budget. Do you know what I could get for that?

I was thinking of overclocking it to get more speed, but apparently the Northwood P4s are better suited than the Willamette I have.

What is the best bang for the buck right now in terms of a processor? I know I have to get a new mobo and ram. I would probably stick with Intel, although I know that there are cheaper alternatives.

All the other piece, vid card, CD-ROM, etc... can be moved over to the new machine.

You didn't even ask me! :p

to overclock with Intel:
P4 2.4C retail + replace w/ thermalright slk900 + 92mm vantec
Asus P4P800 / 800-deluxe
Corsair PC3200 - any 2 sticks so long as they are NOT the LL/Low Latency parts (will be highly unstable at 2-3-2-6) or OCZ if you are constrained by budget.

Expect to hit 3.2GHz easily with that setup and still have it to be durable in the long run!

HL2 benchmarks so far (the one at toms/firingsquad/beyond3d) were a p4 2.8 w/ 1gb of ram. Even though it is not the final version, it looks like it will be extremely CPU and Video Card intensive. People are saying it does not look well for those of us with slower PC's

Remember benyl, i deal with this stuff every day.. if you want my to quote you on price, call me or msn/icq me.