PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question for all RHD car owners

GQBalla
11-27-2008, 04:25 PM
So im just wondering because i just spoke to my Insurance agent and he said all RHD cars only have liability for insurance.

Now basically im wondering what about like the impreza WRX or the silvias, can't they be insured as their North American counterpart in order to have full coverage?

qbnb
11-27-2008, 04:26 PM
I have full coverage through AMA.

GQBalla
11-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Did you state that your car was RHD?

like basically im wondering if you tell your insurance agent like i did i was lookin for a qoute on a 93 silvia so i said its a RHD 93 silvia but can it be insured as a 93 240sx?

I could only get liability since it was a RHD car

Trini
11-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by qbnb
I have full coverage through AMA.

if you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay?

xLostx
11-27-2008, 04:31 PM
i have a shitty driving record but when i had my Z i had liability plus theft and vandalism. pretty sure you can get full coverage...

semograd
11-27-2008, 04:39 PM
ama wouldn't insure my rhd rx7 at all. and its the exact same car no matter where you go.

qbnb
11-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Did you state that your car was RHD?

like basically im wondering if you tell your insurance agent like i did i was lookin for a qoute on a 93 silvia so i said its a RHD 93 silvia but can it be insured as a 93 240sx?

I could only get liability since it was a RHD car
Sorry, I thought that was self evident by "What I drive" and the fact I was posting. My CRX SIR is RHD and I do have full coverage.

Originally posted by Trini

if you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay?
I pay somewhere in the neighbourhood of $180 monthly. Probably fairly steep, but I never did bother shopping around and I'm still (due to laziness) a GDL driver, if that makes a difference.

Jay911
11-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Last time I sat in my Impreza WRX, the steering wheel was on the left, and my insurance co had no problem covering me completely.

It may possibly just be that insurance companies are aware that these RHD vehicles haven't/can't meet the Transport Canada crashworthiness regulations. I'd bet you'd have just as much hassle trying to insure a Skoda, a Citroen, or a SEAT. Hell, there was a guy about 7-10 years ago who had endless hassle from TC trying to import a pickup-truck limo from Texas.. again because it hadn't been vetted by TC.

CSMRX7
11-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I have full coverage with Monnex.

yue
11-27-2008, 06:17 PM
drive a mitsubishi gto
full coverage + 2m liability (no glass)
$180/month

was registered 2 years ago under a gto, not a stealth.

my friend recently registered his RHD car and he had to go through all this red tape that i never went through.

GQBalla
11-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by qbnb

Sorry, I thought that was self evident by "What I drive" and the fact I was posting. My CRX SIR is RHD and I do have full coverage.

oh sorry, i meant did you state to the insurance agent that your CRX is a RHD car?

QuasarCav
11-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Jay911
Last time I sat in my Impreza WRX, the steering wheel was on the left, and my insurance co had no problem covering me completely.

It may possibly just be that insurance companies are aware that these RHD vehicles haven't/can't meet the Transport Canada crashworthiness regulations. I'd bet you'd have just as much hassle trying to insure a Skoda, a Citroen, or a SEAT. Hell, there was a guy about 7-10 years ago who had endless hassle from TC trying to import a pickup-truck limo from Texas.. again because it hadn't been vetted by TC.

Are you a RHD car owner?

G-ZUS
11-27-2008, 06:49 PM

LongHorn Limo?

jdm_eg6
11-27-2008, 07:02 PM
sometimes they require an appraisal. And will then fully insure the vehicle.

qbnb
11-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

oh sorry, i meant did you state to the insurance agent that your CRX is a RHD car?
My apologies as well, after reading what I said, I realize I may have come off as an asshole.
I don't recall as to whether or not I mentioned the fact my car was RHD. I'm sure if it was important to them they would have asked. Otherwise, I'd imagine they'd figure it out on their own being that the JDM VINs are quite a bit different from our own.

GQBalla
11-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Oh i see - interesting -

i should just try and just get insurance and say its a 240 sx instead of a silvia:D

badatusrnames
11-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
sometimes they require an appraisal. And will then fully insure the vehicle.

That's what mine required. Meloche.

03ozwhip
11-27-2008, 08:09 PM
i had a jdm mr2 a while ago and was paying about 90/month full coverage through allstate with no problems at all and they knew it was jdm because of the VIN.

the_waiter
11-27-2008, 08:12 PM
what ever hapened to brian peppers?

JDMsomething
12-01-2008, 01:59 PM

They do meet crash standards test....they just arnt Canadian tests, but they are fine.

Also, you can get full coverage, just call around. I am with state farm and they offered full on my 1993 R33 skyline.

FLARE
12-01-2008, 02:10 PM
vehicle appraisal = able to get collision with my insurance company

Mista.2
12-25-2008, 10:41 PM
ive had full coverage on my jdm mr2 since i bought it(a year and ahalf ago).. all they asked me for was a photo of the vin number and the saftey inspection. other then that they really didnt care that it was RHD, i switched to another insuance company and they said it was fine as well.

sr20s14zenki
12-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Jdm cars also have to have a canadian VIN assigned dont they? as the vin is only half the digits as ours? Wouldnt that be a dead giveaway?

Meback
12-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by the_waiter
what ever hapened to brian peppers?

Apparently he is now in a wheel chair.

Deetz
12-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Jdm cars also have to have a canadian VIN assigned dont they? as the vin is only half the digits as ours? Wouldnt that be a dead giveaway?

VIN stays the same.

I had a rhd drive Celica. Insurance was like $42/month through ING

Redlyne_jr
12-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Deetz

VIN stays the same.

fuck i wish i had ur insurance!!! and ya the vin stays the same...

badatusrnames
12-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Deetz

VIN stays the same.

That's dirt cheap, I thought I had a good deal through Meloche at $80 a month. Is that a group rate??

Deetz
12-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

That's dirt cheap, I thought I had a good deal through Meloche at $80 a month. Is that a group rate??

Yes, during the summer i insure 3 vehicles at the same time. People always ask how i can afford it....it doesn't add up to much with a multi vehicle discount.

It pays to have a good broker and a good driving record.

CelicaST-162
12-26-2008, 01:27 AM
My Aristo is insured as you guessed it. ARISTO, not under a GS300. Mind you it took them a few days to gather information in order to make a portfolio for me. But I have full coverage and $244/mo

WCSilvia
12-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Meloche Monnex gives full coverage on my 1992 Silvia...no questions asked

misterrick
12-26-2008, 12:45 PM
when i insured my civic siR i just told them it was from japan when they were confused by the VIN. they didint once ask if it was RHD, so i didnt bother to mention it. i suppose it really just matters who you go through.

SR54RNR
12-26-2008, 08:25 PM
north american cars have a VIN
the RHD cars from japan have a S.N.

the insurance company will be able to tell that its RHD just by the serial number. I had a convertable RX7 (JDM) and I had full coverage on it. it was about $150/month

Teggy
12-26-2008, 09:13 PM
i have full coverage

ToshiroX
12-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by SR54RNR
north american cars have a VIN
the RHD cars from japan have a S.N.

the insurance company will be able to tell that its RHD just by the serial number. I had a convertable RX7 (JDM) and I had full coverage on it. it was about $150/month

Originally posted by Teggy
i have full coverage

If you don't mind me asking, what insurance company are you guys with?