PDA

View Full Version : 03 Tacoma 4WD Repair

GTI CANADIAN
11-28-2008, 08:37 AM
So, My roommates 4WD in his 03 TRD Tacoma is not functioning. It has the electronic one touch 4WD selection.

Does anyone know someone in town who can diagnose the problem and possibly replace the actuator? The transfer case has to be dropped and opened in order to remove and replace the actuator because of a stupid Japanese design.

The actuator is on the outside of the transfer case, but there is a slip/locking ring on the inside that needs to be taken off the shaft for removal of the actuator.

Country hills toyota quoted $2000 for parts and labor if it's the actuator that needs replacing, after they spend 2 hrs diagnostics. rumor has it that place is apparently gouging everyone.

It might be a positioning sensor or something simple as well, but either way the fella is gonna be killed this winter if he doesn't get it fixed.

Sprockett
11-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Don't have answer to your question but I can say that when I brought my Celsior (Japanese Lexus LS400) there to get the AC fixed they charged me $200 to diagnose the problem and when I said, "Ok, so fix it" they refused to do that work on a JDM car.

Masked Bandit
11-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I think your buddy would be better off going to a regular 4X4 shop like National instead of a stealership?

GTI CANADIAN
12-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Anyone? Any other places in Calgary for this type of work?

The only other major problem is it's Japanese. :guns: