PDA

View Full Version : LF: Airline Industry Employee (contacts)

qbnb
11-28-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm just wondering who here on beyond works in the airline industry in any fashion, or has worked for them in the past for that matter.
I'm currently a full-time bachelors student looking to get my foot in the door at any of the airlines with offices/operations out of Calgary. Preferably on the administrative or customer service side but I'm certainly not opposed to manual labour.
If anyone could be of any assistance, I would greatly appreciate it. Basically I'm just looking for some suggestions/recommendations, any contact information that might help, or even just a heads up.

extm88
11-28-2008, 03:29 PM
im p/t at westjet.

gen2teggy
11-28-2008, 04:18 PM
^ :facepalm:

Rat Fink
11-28-2008, 04:48 PM

qbnb
11-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I wasn't specifically looking for anyone to just hand me their personal contact information, I was more interested in any advice they might offer as far as who I might look into talking to. I'm well aware the internet is a big and scary place, I wouldn't just hand out my info to anyone. I was also interested in talking to anyone with experience, be it within the thread or via pm.

I have applied at all of the airlines and made all appropriate follow up calls. Many of my applications even come complete with employee referrals. I think it has just been difficult being that I'm still a student and as such my availability isn't wide open. I'm sure if I could get an interview however, they'd think twice before discounting me.

I've even got an interview with WestJet for a TAC/Ramp agent position, but unfortunately the training starts 1 day before I go in for major surgery. I've spoken with the recruiter in an effort to explore other possibilities (as far as training dates go), but I obviously can't expect too much from that.

Again, I was mostly just searching for some insight. In the past, beyond has been fairly informative. Lately however, it takes a bit of sifting through the junk (08's) to get the answer you're looking for.

Also, I don't much like the cold but I DO like the women, so I guess Gate Agent isn't quite right for me.
:rofl:

Rat Fink
11-28-2008, 05:29 PM

n1zm0
11-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
No offence, but I don't think people will volunteer their contacts to someone anonymously out in the open on the internet without knowing anything about you.

Your best bet is to start sending resumes, and doing followup phone calls, and going down to the offices in person. The best contacts are the ones you make yourself.

There are a lot of dinosaurs in the airline industry who don't give up their seat without dying. You have to be agressive and don't let people forget your name and that you are looking hard for a job. Be that thorn in their brain until you get hired.

True, true and ... true

Aircraft industry and moreso airliners are work your way up the rope kind of jobs, sometimes it's a shit rope for some depending on your skill and work ethic.

There's something called the 'old boys club' , where these are the old school die hard aviation guys who have been in it since before your mother had a twinkle in her eye and then some.

Really rarely do they take lightly to new generations of ppl getting into this industry, but fortunately for you, thats more of a maintenance side of things.

You want to start at the lowest status really, like said above, ramp rat etc. Vtecmini on here works for WJ, used to be on TAC and now does the sim diagnostics etc
The hours are intense just to let you know.

Like Rat said, WJ is really close knit, you have to 'know someone' to get in really or have huge references/skills for your field. Let's just say they aren't desperate for employees.

I got a position in a new AMO that is usually given to experienced AMEs, plus they allow me to do my M1-M2 apprenticeship, so i kinda lucked out.

avcanada.ca (http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewforum.php?f=7) :thumbsup:
GL!