PDA

View Full Version : Spotted: SEAT Ibiza - in Calgary

hampstor
11-29-2008, 12:06 AM
I was at canadian tire tonight and parked by a car i'd never seen before (didn't even recognize the logo). Had to google 'Ibiza Car' to figure out what it was!

Definately different and something we dont see every day.

I think those are Mexican plates too? Wasn't sure, didn't look close enough. Definately far from home, and if he was in there trying to find parts for his car he probably would have a hard time :)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk71/hampstor/ibiza1.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk71/hampstor/ibiza2.jpg

5000Audi
11-29-2008, 12:07 AM
woah good spot... never seen one of those before!!! looks funky

**EDIT** they are mexico plates.... long long long drive for sure

Jeremiah
11-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Thats pretty unique.

Never heard of Ibiza before

11-29-2008, 12:10 AM
looks like a jacked up mexican version of the focus.

corsvette
11-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Looks almost like a Alfa romeo from the front,a unique find.

hampstor
11-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by corsvette
Looks almost like a Alfa romeo from the front,a unique find.

That was my first thought, then I saw the 'S' and wasnt sure what it was

badatusrnames
11-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Speaking of Mexico...

http://www.sice.oas.org/trade/nafta/anx300a1.asp

4. Canada may adopt or maintain prohibitions or restrictions on imports of used vehicles from the territory of Mexico, except as follows:

(a) beginning January 1, 2009, Canada may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territory of Mexico of originating used vehicles that are at least 10 years old;

(b) beginning January 1, 2011, Canada may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territory of Mexico of originating used vehicles that are at least eight years old;

(c) beginning January 1, 2013, Canada may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territory of Mexico of originating used vehicles that are at least six years old;

(d) beginning January 1, 2015, Canada may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territory of Mexico of originating used vehicles that are at least four years old;

(e) beginning January 1, 2017, Canada may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territory of Mexico of originating used vehicles that are at least two years old; and

(f) beginning January 1, 2019, Canada may not adopt or maintain a prohibition or restriction on imports from the territory of Mexico of originating used vehicles.

Meaning starting January, we can import some of the cool European cars from Mexico, given that they are at least ten years old.

corsvette
11-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Imports from mexico,sounds very interesting,i would give it a try!

ZorroAMG
11-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Seat is the car compant...the model is the Ibiza.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-29-2008, 12:35 AM
It's just a VW polo with spanish styling and a spanish name :poosie:

Still thats a great spot, I've never seen one.

adam c
11-29-2008, 01:13 AM
neato

jswankster
11-29-2008, 01:21 AM
i want it... lol

SCHIDER23
11-29-2008, 01:27 AM
that is a rare one, good spot :thumbsup:

InLoveWitRSX
11-29-2008, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Seat is the car compant...the model is the Ibiza.

company* ...

j/p yeah thats a wierd car.

Redlyne_mr2
11-29-2008, 04:02 AM
Makes me want to dance.

kamatayan
11-29-2008, 05:10 AM
heard the song not the car... .. .

Supa Dexta
11-29-2008, 06:59 AM
madddd tyte MDM yO

GTS Jeff
11-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
It's just a VW polo with spanish styling and a spanish name :poosie:.

:werd: What's with all these fools talking about Mexican cars?

403ep3
11-29-2008, 04:20 PM
I thought this was about ibiza raves :nut:

Idratherbsidewayz
11-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Rare spot! The Seat Ibiza is definitely not that cool a car though haha.

Originally posted by badatusrnames
Meaning starting January, we can import some of the cool European cars from Mexico, given that they are at least ten years old.

Does anyone know if the EVO VI was ever imported into Mexico?

Proboscis
11-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Seat is a car in the Azores.

95EagleAWD
11-29-2008, 06:40 PM
SEAT is Spanish.

Ferio_vti
12-01-2008, 08:06 AM
I've seen that car parked in Coventry Hills, but never had a camera with me.

CausalInfluence
12-01-2008, 04:30 PM
why the f. would anyone ever want a beaners car????

Can you imagine how poorly treated they would be? Way worse conditions then JDM land.

haha instead of goku driving his RPS13 it will be Jose in his Civic.

blueironboy
12-04-2008, 11:59 AM
We were looking to buy one here in Mex, but the engines are teeny tiny (ended up buying an A6). I heard Seat makes a Leon (which is pretty similiar to this Ibeza but actually looks pretty trick) called the Boca Negro (Black mouth) which is ford focus sized....with over 300 horse STOCK!! I haven't seen one, but it would be crazy fast...

cloud7
12-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Seat is pretty active in motorsports in Europe... BTCC and WTCC... they also had a stint in the WRC.

sidewaysD
12-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Its interesting how VW took Seat

Casuse...
The Seat Leon is built from components of a Audi A3 and Volkswagen Golf.

The Seat Ibiza is of course a Polo like the reply's say.

finding parts?

its interchangeable with VW.

Its owned by VW lol

the funny thing is though.. VW shot themselves in the foot, cause the Seat Leon had a 1.4, 1.6 and a 1.8L turbo charged VW engine. It had a sport suspension as well.. and it was cheaper then the VW Golf GTI. But the structure is pretty much the same.

MidnightSpecial
12-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Speaking of Mexico...

http://www.sice.oas.org/trade/nafta/anx300a1.asp

Transport Canada isn't going along with this. Here's a letter they sent someone from IVOAC..

The Canada Border Services Agency assists Transport Canada with the application of
the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) for imported vehicles. As you may be aware, the
current Motor Vehicle Safety Act does not allow for the importation of vehicles less
than 15 years old from countries other than the United States. Transport Canada is
reviewing the MVSA to determine the changes required for Canada to meet its
obligations under NAFTA. Amendments to any legislation require parliamentary
approval. The Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations will subsequently have to be amended
to establish the conditions and the process under which used vehicles from Mexico
could be imported into Canada.

Even though Mexican vehicle importation is not yet permitted under the MVSA, please
be assured that the government is working with Mexican officials to determine the
differences that exist between the Mexican and Canadian/U.S. safety regimes to begin
the process of developing the future regulatory requirements.

It is important to note that in fulfilling Canada's obligations under NAFTA, the
safety of Canadians is still of primary concern. Under Chapter nine of the North
American Free Trade Agreement, article 904 (1) allows a country to require that
imported vehicles comply with applicable safety requirements in order to protect
human life or health.

An amendment to the Motor Vehicle Safety Act is being developed but no firm time
frame can be identified for its review by Parliament. This amendment would be
followed by the necessary changes to the regulations. At this point, there are no
procedures in place to deal with the importation of used vehicles originating from
Mexico.

Please be assured that Transport Canada remains committed to NAFTA and to the safety
of the traveling public.

Regards,

Matt Coons

They're committed to NAFTA... At their own speed. :bullshit:

badatusrnames
12-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by MidnightSpecial

Transport Canada isn't going along with this. Here's a letter they sent someone from IVOAC..

They're committed to NAFTA... At their own speed. :bullshit:

Interesting.. doesn't NAFTA set out clear time lines for this? Who are TC to flaunt an international agreement like NAFTA? If they aren't ready, too bad.

And didn't Canada and the EU harmonize vehicle standards? Meaning that European vehicles sold in Mexico, by extension should be up to our standards. I mean, these vehicles are manufactured by the same automakers that sell here and in countries that have equivalent standards.

It would be nice to see some common sense applied. Let people drive what they want. There are massive pieces of unsafe junk running around on Canadian streets that never need a safety inspection, but they were blocked a ton of American vehicles for years because they didn't have 8mph bumpers? Please.

rollmnstr
12-13-2008, 02:44 AM
those are mexician plates
i lived there last year and it was actually the state next to the one i lived in

Seat is just lower priced version of vw

sillysod
12-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Tooling generally goes as follows:

Audi
to
VW
to
Skoda
to
Seat

Kinda like Benz SLK tooling went to the Chrysler Crossfire when the made a new one.

All the Seat, Skoda, VW's are all based on older versions of the Audi platforms. I am not sure if this is still the case as now VW uses the 3.6 which is not available in Audi's. Perhaps the new VW Passat and the Passat CC are no longer A4's with different sheet metal.