PDA

View Full Version : pulsar gtir or s14

seany99119
11-29-2008, 03:33 AM
In a few months or so i am considering getting either a pulsar gtir or silvia s14.
I would really like to get a pulsar. any downfalls to pulsars?

03ozwhip
11-29-2008, 10:23 AM
ya, theyre ugly and apparently are really hard to find parts for, vs not ugly and easy as hell to find parts for.

SetoJai
11-29-2008, 10:23 AM
if you want to be different get the pulsar ;)

nissanK
11-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Pulsars are great cars. The SR20 that's under the hood is absolutely bullet proof however there are some downsides:

1. Replace the water pump asap as they are known to fail.

2. The GTI-R is a Frankenstein of parts, some S13-S14 parts are interchangeable, while most are specially made for the Pulsar and are hard to track down. I had to get brake rotors shipped from Britain!

But that being said once you find the proper supplier of parts you should be fine.

3. If you're planning to upgrade, this car is an absolute bitch to work on because everything is so crammed together.

If you're able to get past these problems the pulsar is a wicked little car.

nissanK
11-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
ya, theyre ugly and apparently are really hard to find parts for, vs not ugly and easy as hell to find parts for.

I think they look bad ass with that massive hood scoop! meh to each his own.:thumbsup:

sr20s14zenki
11-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Im gonna have to say s14, but im biased (=

03ozwhip
11-29-2008, 10:39 AM
well with what i said, you cant deny theyre ugliness. i am interested in the gtir's though becuase they are so different, theyre awd and fucking fast. i may even get one for myself as a winter car, but if youre looking for the looks factor, and an easier to mod car, this is not it.

Redlyne_mr2
11-29-2008, 10:40 AM
The pulsars are a quick and fun car thats good year round. However, tracking down parts will drive you to drinking.

rc2002
11-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Buying a JDM vehicle with a sister North American counterpart makes a lot of sense.

Finding body panels and windshields and miscellaneous Pulsar specific parts is going to be a nightmare. You might be paying a premium for all of those parts.

seany99119
11-29-2008, 11:47 AM
okay thank you all for very helpful answers

CausalInfluence
11-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Pulsars are touchy. VERY touchy. You can use the windsheild from a pulsar NX which is more of a coupe here, then a hatchy.

The sr is like every other bluetop. Nice motors. As previously mentioned though working on them is quite the bitch as the engine/tranny is just absolutely consuming. there is literally not an inch of unused space.

Problem is if you do plan on modding it very seriously, the tranny's are known to be notoriously ...weak. Pushing big power out of it would be a task. And you will have to pay a premium for parts, but its much like all JDM cars.

The pulsar hasnt got alot of love over here because they arent very well known, nor cared about. People bought into JDM cars for cheap rwd drifto action. GTI-R's on the other hand for even high mileage ones are 10K+ so they havent really taken off. Alot of shops are starting to bring in more and more JDM parts. So, maybe go find out from your local shops what they can and cant get in.

Though shoaib (JDMsource) is shady, he can supply you with alot of the essentials, at a somewhat reasonable price.

5000Audi
11-29-2008, 01:00 PM
GTI-R is just a ugly jdm version of the golf...

Get the S14 forsure.. much nicer looking car. USDM counter parts.
much easyer to mod and work on aswell...
and well they are way better on the eyes then a GTI-R

S13_Ryan
11-29-2008, 01:15 PM
buy this

http://driftwest.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=3238

s14 ftw

KuruptEX
11-29-2008, 01:26 PM
S14 ftmfw:D

CausalInfluence
11-29-2008, 01:39 PM
^ you are kidding right?

USDM version of the golf you say?

Dude you cant even compare the two. Maybe an R32. Even that is unfair. Fool.

Besides you cant compare a rally oriented jap hatchy to a euro grocery getter.

5000Audi
11-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by CausalInfluence
^ you are kidding right?

USDM version of the golf you say?

Dude you cant even compare the two. Maybe an R32. Even that is unfair. Fool.

Besides you cant compare a rally oriented jap hatchy to a euro grocery getter.

i did compair the GTIR to the golf... i did not compair any of the specs to the golf i just said its a ugly version of the golf... outside of the car has similarites.. and fyi any car can be a grocery getting.. so buy going to the store to buy things makes a car a grocery getter... hmm iirc i have seen a lambo in front of save on before, but its not cool no more since he went to pick up some milk at the store...calm down you are the FOOL... one opionion deffers from the next i gave mine so why dont you just give yours......

403ep3
11-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi

i did compair the GTIR to the golf... i did not compair any of the specs to the golf i just said its a ugly version of the golf... outside of the car has similarites.. and fyi any car can be a grocery getting.. so buy going to the store to buy things makes a car a grocery getter... hmm iirc i have seen a lambo in front of save on before, but its not cool no more since he went to pick up some milk at the store...calm down you are the FOOL... one opionion deffers from the next i gave mine so why dont you just give yours......

:banghead: I had a hard time reading that..

I like the gtir but the s14 is probably the better choice.

5000Audi
11-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3

:banghead: I had a hard time reading that..

I like the gtir but the s14 is probably the better choice.

sorry:cry: