PDA

View Full Version : Using car for short periods during winter...

Smooth-Op
11-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Hello!

I've been told that using my car for a short period (i.e. 4-5 minutes at a time ; I live relatively close to where I work) can be pretty bad for a car during winter (I live in Quebec).

Is that true?

7thgenvic
11-29-2008, 11:06 AM
epic fail! is this a serious question. Not to be a asshole, If you warm your car up and drive it a couple mintues, its not going to hurt the engine

Mibz
11-29-2008, 11:11 AM
I've heard that as long as the car hits normal operating temp before you turn it off you're fine.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-29-2008, 11:12 AM
It will run rich the entire drive to work and back, which basically destroys gas millage.

I have the same commute, and I simply deal with it by plugging my car in.

Car reaches operating temp in a shorter time, and the oil is warm so it lubricates better for those cold starts.

Sooner you get to operating temp the better. Even on a 5 minute drive.

ExtraSlow
11-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Just make sure that every month or so, you take it for a longer drive. You want to be able to boil the moisture out of the engine oil once in a while.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Also, charge the battery when possible, its said that it takes a car 30 minutes of driving to maintain a healthy charge for the battery.

I charge mine every 3 months.

CelicaST-162
11-29-2008, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
epic fail! is this a serious question. Not to be a asshole, If you warm your car up and drive it a couple mintues, its not going to hurt the engine

I hope that's not a serious answer! I haven't you heard from everywhere that the engine carbons up from not getting to proper operating temp? Even in -30 degree temperatures and your gauge is showing normal operating range is still well below of where it should be. The longer you let it idle, the more moisture it builds up inside, driving it for a while and getting it to normal operating temperature will prevent this. (Electric fans kicking in, or the opening of the T-stat. Driving it for 10 mins when it's cold will NOT warm up the engine completely.

7thgenvic
11-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

I hope that's not a serious answer! I haven't you heard from everywhere that the engine carbons up from not getting to proper operating temp? Even in -30 degree temperatures and your gauge is showing normal operating range is still well below of where it should be. The longer you let it idle, the more moisture it builds up inside, driving it for a while and getting it to normal operating temperature will prevent this. (Electric fans kicking in, or the opening of the T-stat. Driving it for 10 mins when it's cold will NOT warm up the engine completely.

i said WARMS UP!!!!! Sorry I didn't give a precise time and temp. :) I keep my car pugged in and drive it slow for at least 5 mintues and it seems just fine to me. And this is after 10 years of winter driving on the same motor :) No harm done to the ol' Lexus

88jbody
11-29-2008, 07:07 PM
if you warm it up fully most the time and take it for a good long drive now and again it will be fine.

but a short drive without warming it up will be hard on the engine, water will sit in your exhaust and rust it out from the inside out.

and you will need to change the oil more often as well due to moisture