PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Homes suing Jarome Iginla

TACO.VIDAL
11-29-2008, 01:32 PM
Iginla slapped with lawsuit
UPDATED: 2008-11-29 05:02:36 MST

Home builder seeks over $3 million in damages for what firm calls breach of agreement

By KEVIN MARTIN, SUN MEDIA

What was supposed to be a dream come true for a Calgary home builder has turned into a nightmare after Jarome Iginla abruptly booted the company from constructing his mansion.

And now Hammer Homes Building Corporation is seeking in excess of $3 million in damages from the Calgary Flames captain for what it says is a breach of their agreement.

A statement of claim filed by Hammer says Iginla removed its employees from the site on Oct. 17, and stated another contractor would finish the work.

A letter from Iginla's lawyer later that day said construction was to be immediately suspended and any attendance on the property by Hammer staff would be considered an act of trespass.

"The letter contained no basis, legal or otherwise, upon which the defendant suspended construction ... other than to cite vague, unsubstantiated and frivolous allegations of impropriety on the part of the plaintiff," the lawsuit states.

The court action says Hammer had hoped to use Iginla's celebrity to boost business, but instead has now lost reputation because of the star player's conduct.

The statement, a copy of which was obtained yesterday by the Sun, says the company even agreed to build the home at a cut rate because of Iginla's fame.

The base price for the southwest Calgary residence was set at $3.3 million, at least $200,000 lower than its actual worth, the lawsuit says.

"The defendant used his celebrity to suggest that it would be in the plaintiff's best interest to lower its asking price substantially," it says.

"The defendant's breaches of the agreement ... had an immediate and catastrophic effect upon the plaintiff's business from a goodwill and reputation perspective."

Hammer's deal with Iginla "constituted an extraordinary and unprecedented opportunity for the plaintiff to showcase its work and obtain placement within the local market as the builder of choice for other celebrity figures and high net-worth clients," it says.

The claim seeks nearly $500,000 for unpaid labour and material costs, more than $600,000 in lost profit, plus $2 million in lost future profits because of the damage caused to the company.

A statement of defence disputing the unproven allegations in Hammer's claim has not yet been filed.

Mibz
11-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Be interesting to see why he told them to get lost in the first place.

A790
11-29-2008, 01:58 PM
What the hell happened here?

Altezza
11-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Send Andre Roy over to settle the matter.

Jlude
11-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Impreza
11-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
haha
does anyone know what part of the SW this mansion is?

chkolny541
11-29-2008, 03:24 PM
suing for 2 million lost in future profits:rofl:

Quiet10
11-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Can't see Iginla doing this without a legitimate reason for doing so...

Impreza
11-29-2008, 03:54 PM
^Werd, always two sides to a story. Interested in knowing what caused Iggy to pull the plug on Hammer Homes.

dezmarez
11-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Impreza

haha

where does it say its on the SW??

eblend
11-29-2008, 04:03 PM
^Werd, always two sides to a story. Interested in knowing what caused Iggy to pull the plug on Hammer Homes.

Probably the slumping economy, he realized that he could prolly get the same home build for 1.5 mil now ...haha j/k...maybe..

Masked Bandit
11-29-2008, 04:06 PM
My guess is that Hammer agreed to build the house at a reduced rated (just for Iggy) and then tried to recover their lost profits by doing all kinds of crap / substandard work. He probably got sick of them doing shit work and canned them.

nismodrifter
11-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez

where does it say its on the SW??

It's assumed all mansions are in the SW. It's also assumed that it's not in the NE.

403ep3
11-29-2008, 04:07 PM
They were probably slow and he wanted his mansion faster.

Quizzes
11-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Don't know much about Hammer Homes, but I remember one of their truck was driven by a douche weaving in and out of traffic.

If anything, this lawsuit will damage their reputation even more.

shtock99
11-29-2008, 04:32 PM
if you read it says "The base price for the southwest Calgary residence was set at $3.3 million, at least $200,000 lower than its actual worth, the lawsuit says".

2002civic
11-29-2008, 04:52 PM
going after Iginla in Calgary is probably not the wisest plan even if you win...

rinny
11-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Such bullshit.

2 Mill for future lost damages? Jarome should countersue them for 1.8M for getting their hopes up that doing work for him will make them 2 mill, as he was not fully compensated for what he brought to the company in the first place!

Sounds like an American trying to sue McDonalds...

barmanjay
11-29-2008, 07:58 PM
I've worked in conjunction with hammer homes about 6 years ago

Pretty much when they were just getting into some higher end stuff.

Their work was good,.. not really sub standard,.. called on some good sub-trades for the finer things.

definitely disorganized for the most part from what I remember from back then, which could still be a problem.

and extremely high profits for the one owner; as I recall after one house,.. well actually in the middle of construction,.. he purchased a spankin new H2 and there might've been an expensive watch in the mix too.

My guess is the initial build cost was too high for the mid-grade quality that might be coming out of it and possible continued disorganization.

carzcraz
11-29-2008, 08:02 PM
There are a number of Flames hockey players who have built houses in close proximity to one another in Aspen, SW.

Rocky
11-29-2008, 08:08 PM
They will probably get the 500,000 but I think you'd have a hard time convincing a judge of the whole "lost profits" thing. I mean, "The defendant used his celebrity to suggest that it would be in the plaintiff's best interest to lower its asking price substantially" sounds highly suspect. Also, if the home is valued at 3.3m, and all they've put in is 500k worth of materials and labor, the facts seem clear (from my interpretation) -- these builders were probably dragging their asses and doing an absolutely substandard job at a completely unreasonable pace and Jarome, like any home builder, threw them out. Maybe I'm a little biased cuz Jarome seems like quite a character guy, but I just have a hard time believing their claims.

A790
11-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
going after Iginla in Calgary is probably not the wisest plan even if you win...
LOL like what will happen? :rolleyes:

Kobe
11-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by carzcraz
There are a number of Flames hockey players who have built houses in close proximity to one another in Aspen, SW.

There is a few very nice houses there, some old flames living up in Aspen as well

JRSC00LUDE
11-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

There is a few very nice houses there, some old flames living up in Aspen as well

I've been keeping quiet on the grammar front for some time now but come on man, could you at least try to make an effort? Please?

BerserkerCatSplat
11-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by A790

Bertuzzi. That's what'll happen. ;)

A790
11-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Bertuzzi. That's what'll happen. ;)
hahaha, somehow I doubt that.

Supa Dexta
11-29-2008, 10:46 PM
What will happen is their name gets dragged thru the mud, since he got rid of them, and everyone loves him.

broken_legs
11-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Rich people don't watch hockey. Thats for the peasants.

I doubt this will affect their business much, well not as much as a huge slowdown in the housing market will.

Lovitt
11-29-2008, 11:10 PM
You never know what could have happened. Earlier in my carrier we were doing a house for the local McDonalds owner and he came in one day freaking out because everyone was drinking Tim Hortons coffee. Said Tims was his #1 competitor (like we knew) He called our boss and told him if he found one more person drinking Tims on his property he was kicking us all out and finding another contractor to finish up, next day his wife felt bad and bought us all supper at McD's....lol God only knows what the real problem is but maybe he found one of the workers wearing a Montreal hat or something... :P

Quiet10
11-30-2008, 02:08 PM
^That's quite possibly the most retarded thing i've heard in a while. Like it matters to him if his workers are fans of another hockey team.

:banghead:

Redlyne_mr2
11-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs
Rich people don't watch hockey. Thats for the peasants.

I doubt this will affect their business much, well not as much as a huge slowdown in the housing market will.
You've obviously never been in any of the boxes. :)

2002civic
11-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Iginla is god in this city, which means anyone that questions him will likely lose a LOT of business because of something like this

Originally posted by A790

Mibz
11-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

You've obviously never been in any of the boxes. :) They don't watch the game, they discuss the Pacific Rim marketplace, monocle cleaning techniques and how they find the caviar to be shallow and pedantic using words such as "ergo", "pertaining" and "touche".

ExtraSlow
11-30-2008, 02:42 PM
hey!!! Screw you, I never use the word "pertaining."

Kloubek
11-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Quiet10
Can't see Iginla doing this without a legitimate reason for doing so...

Agreed. Iginla is one of the most friendly guys in the NHL today. I'd like to hear his side of it.

Lovitt
11-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Quiet10
^That's quite possibly the most retarded thing i've heard in a while. Like it matters to him if his workers are fans of another hockey team.

:banghead:

It was a joke basically making fun of the guy who freaked out at us....

Willie Bobo
11-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by carzcraz

Iginla's (under construction) house is nowhere near Aspen Woods. Think old money, Elbow Drive area between Glenmore and Downtown.

syscal
11-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Willie Bobo

Iginla's (under construction) house is nowhere near Aspen Woods. Think old money, Elbow Drive area between Glenmore and Downtown.

There is the one area with "AE" on the gate right across from Rundle. The houses in there and the property could easily fit the bill...pretty exclusive area.

Here is the link Aspen Estates (http://www.aspenestates.ca/)

*EDIT* :: not sure if that is the area, I remember the pamphlet they sent us showed the design for all the homes even before lots went up for sale. Just a regular circle of houses but with huge lots and homes and all by appointment.

TC2002
11-30-2008, 07:06 PM
^Wow! I was also driving around Westbound Canyon Meadows Drive (I think it's called Canso Crescent or something like that), and there are some huge lots in there as well--similar to the Aspen Estates homes. I wonder if any hockey players live in those?

1997GSR
11-30-2008, 07:19 PM
i have an idea of where this place is located. absolutely stunning

during the summer there were several different high performance exotics outside

HP2133
11-30-2008, 07:32 PM
I know it TOO ... there were several 6 feet bare chested brunette models with an elitist air about them

TRUST ME

Originally posted by 1997GSR
i have an idea of where this place is located. absolutely stunning

during the summer there were several different high performance exotics outside

1997GSR
11-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by HP2133
I know it TOO ... there were several 6 feet bare chested brunette models with an elitist air about them

TRUST ME

o how cool of you 2 post.

pics? :drool:

VWEvo
11-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I've seen the house, its located in brittania ( i beileve that is the name of the area) Its fully framed and has a fence around it right now.

Jlude
11-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Just looked up Jarome on wikipedia...

this is just a piece of the article.

Off the ice

Since becoming a proven NHL star, Iginla has entered into several endorsement contracts with various companies. [1] One of his most prominent corporate relationships is with Scotiabank[6][7]. Iginla also supports many charities, including Cure for Cancer and KidSport. In 2004 he was awarded the NHL Foundation Award for Community Service as well as the King Clancy Memorial Trophy in recognition of his humanitarian contributions. He also helps out children who are less fortunate by providing them with toys and clothes.

He is also known for an appreciation of his fans which is virtually unparalleled in professional sports. An example of this came during 2002 when Jarome was in Salt Lake City for the Winter Olympic Games. While having dinner with his family, he was told that there were four Calgarians sitting next to their table. Jarome went over and talked with the group and asked where they were staying. The four men told him they were sleeping in their car outside of the hotel. Iginla excused himself from the conversation and came back 15 minutes later and told them he had booked accommodations for the four at the same hotel his family was staying in and also took care of their tab.[8][9]

It's probably true... but that's pretty nice of him to do.

Wehbeast
11-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
I've seen the house, its located in brittania ( i beileve that is the name of the area) Its fully framed and has a fence around it right now.

Brittania I know you like it by the river

1997GSR
11-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
Just looked up Jarome on wikipedia...

this is just a piece of the article.

Off the ice

Since becoming a proven NHL star, Iginla has entered into several endorsement contracts with various companies. [1] One of his most prominent corporate relationships is with Scotiabank[6][7]. Iginla also supports many charities, including Cure for Cancer and KidSport. In 2004 he was awarded the NHL Foundation Award for Community Service as well as the King Clancy Memorial Trophy in recognition of his humanitarian contributions. He also helps out children who are less fortunate by providing them with toys and clothes.

He is also known for an appreciation of his fans which is virtually unparalleled in professional sports. An example of this came during 2002 when Jarome was in Salt Lake City for the Winter Olympic Games. While having dinner with his family, he was told that there were four Calgarians sitting next to their table. Jarome went over and talked with the group and asked where they were staying. The four men told him they were sleeping in their car outside of the hotel. Iginla excused himself from the conversation and came back 15 minutes later and told them he had booked accommodations for the four at the same hotel his family was staying in and also took care of their tab.[8][9]

It's probably true... but that's pretty nice of him to do.

it is all true. most fans would remember that.

broken_legs
12-03-2008, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

You've obviously never been in any of the boxes. :)

Was in the Schlumberger box last week actually :thumbsup:

sputnik
12-03-2008, 08:15 AM

haha

It's in Elboya. North of Chinook on 48th or 49th Ave between Elbow and Macleod.

The Cosworth
12-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
My guess is that Hammer agreed to build the house at a reduced rated (just for Iggy) and then tried to recover their lost profits by doing all kinds of crap / substandard work. He probably got sick of them doing shit work and canned them.

This is what I thought too

7thgenvic
12-03-2008, 08:50 AM
The owner of Hammer is a fucking douche bag. From my personal experience dealing with him he is a overweight douche who struck out when Calgary's housing market boomed. I hope he takes a big loss in this deal and people don't have to deal with that organization

barmanjay
12-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
The owner of Hammer is a fucking douche bag. From my personal experience dealing with him he is a overweight douche who struck out when Calgary's housing market boomed. I hope he takes a big loss in this deal and people don't have to deal with that organization

HAHAHAHAHA

I knew someone else on here would know him

I just didn't want to say all those things :D, I don't know him enough,.. but suspected so.

em2ab
12-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Using a hockey player to boost sales? I don't get how that works, are people going to use this company to build their house based on the fact the company built one for Iginla? That would mean he has some sort of excellence in picking builders that other people can rely on.........is this the case? It's like Gretzky endorsing rental cars or George Foreman making a grill.......neither of these people have any more expertise in these fields than any of us so I don't get why other people would use it as a basis for their own standards.

Jlude
12-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by em2ab
Using a hockey player to boost sales? I don't get how that works, are people going to use this company to build their house based on the fact the company built one for Iginla? That would mean he has some sort of excellence in picking builders that other people can rely on.........is this the case? It's like Gretzky endorsing rental cars or George Foreman making a grill.......neither of these people have any more expertise in these fields than any of us so I don't get why other people would use it as a basis for their own standards.

celebrities sell... it's a fact.

SilverGS
12-03-2008, 11:37 AM
The Hammer guys does sounds like a douche. Probably just pissed because instead of being able to use Iggy's celebrity status to make himself more money he screwed himself because he probably did a shitty job hoping Iggy would be too busy to notice.

I have seen contractors and sub-trades taken off jobs because of sub-par work many times and it never resorted to a lawsuit. They were paid for what they had done up to that point and then sent on their way.

rc2002
12-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

Yeah seems like they're in trouble. The one house they're building in Eagle Ridge actually went up in price. From $2.9M to $3.9M and that's after having been on the market for almost 2 years.

em2ab
12-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by HP2133

TRUST ME

Topless chicks? What?

kwjent
12-04-2008, 11:14 PM
I think Hammer Homes needs to wake up. First by going after Iginla is going to hurt them in the long run because people will question why he did get rid of them. Hammer is currently trying to sell and develop a house on Elbow drive for 12 million. It is absolutely ridiculous even with the market that we were in before. The lot is nice but they must have paid a pretty penny for it and the lot is sitting empty. Well they may go belly up. Funny you mention the price going up on the other house, they need to make the money.

frozenrice
12-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

For a lot of builders, it's all about the ego and rubbing shoulders with the upper class. Sometimes there's trade offs too like playoff game tickets, celebrity endorsements in exchange for next to free upgrades like granite or flooring. Mainly though, it's for bragging rights.

dj_honda
12-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Agreed. Iginla is one of the most friendly guys in the NHL today. I'd like to hear his side of it.

It's pretty crazy though how Iginlas rep as a decent person serves him so well in this situation. Everyone who I talked to about this had the same attitude. "The builder is probably trying to screw him over".

Well, lets say Avery was building the home with them.....I doubt the public's perception would be that the fault lies on the builder lol.

Mibz
12-08-2008, 01:31 PM
So at the Metallica show I noticed a bunch of "Homes by Avi" signs all over the 'Dome. They boast that they're the official home builder of the Flames. I'm wondering if they stepped in and had something to say about Iginla using another builder. Perhaps they have an agreement that Iginla breached.

frozenrice
12-08-2008, 02:09 PM
^^^That's just paid advertising. I doubt that Avi builds houses of that calibre. Not only that, based on the description of where Iginla's house is located it's an infill/reno build, which isn't the typical tract house that Avi builds.
I know of several builders in which various Flames players have build with, none of which are Avi.

Mibz
12-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
^^^That's just paid advertising. I doubt that Avi builds houses of that calibre. Not only that, based on the description of where Iginla's house is located it's an infill/reno build, which isn't the typical tract house that Avi builds.
I know of several builders in which various Flames players have build with, none of which are Avi. Ah, good to know.

bspot
12-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
So at the Metallica show I noticed a bunch of "Homes by Avi" signs all over the 'Dome. They boast that they're the official home builder of the Flames. I'm wondering if they stepped in and had something to say about Iginla using another builder. Perhaps they have an agreement that Iginla breached.

:rofl:

So you think that when you sign a contract with the Calgary Flames you are locked into buy an Avi house, driving a Dodge, subscribing to the Sun and only buying your jewels at Jewels by Maxines?

atgilchrist
12-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by bspot

:rofl:

So you think that when you sign a contract with the Calgary Flames you are locked into buy an Avi house, driving a Dodge, subscribing to the Sun and only buying your jewels at Jewels by Maxines?

...And only drink Molson Canadian. Ugh.

kamakurakid
12-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

...And only drink Molson Canadian. Ugh.

Would love to see a Flames player living that lifestyle, even for a month. Hell, make the player with the worst +/- live that life for a month.

Well at least it is not that piss they sell at the Stampede, Bud really.....who drinks it? Maybe this is Texas?

And for what it is worth, they better move the Hammer v Iginla trial outside of Calgary and perhaps Canada, I for one will be happy to serve on the jury and even happier to tear Hammer and Co. a new one.

Iggy leads by example, I for one will not be using Hammer ever and further I will be driving real slow in front of any of their vehicles. Jam the idiots!

swishsam
12-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by kamakurakid
...and further I will be driving real slow in front of any of their vehicles. Jam the idiots!

Assuming you actually drive a "Honda Fit" (as listed in your description) then I don't think you could drive any other way....

:D

frozenrice
12-24-2008, 06:05 PM
^^^^speaking of driving a FIT, I doubt he'd be buying a house of the calibre that Hammer Homes builds anyways. I guess he's made his point though. :rofl:

bubbley
12-24-2008, 06:06 PM
i thought he was buildin in the hamptons in the gated side

kamakurakid
12-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by swishsam

Assuming you actually drive a "Honda Fit" (as listed in your description) then I don't think you could drive any other way....

You must have a point? You nothing of my car.

kamakurakid
12-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice
^^^^speaking of driving a FIT, I doubt he'd be buying a house of the calibre that Hammer Homes builds anyways. I guess he's made his point though. :rofl:

Do you have a point? You have no idea of my net worth. Really, I will go head to head on net worth any day.

A rather idiot crowd this evening, making comments out of turn and with no relation to the topic at hand.

frozenrice
12-24-2008, 06:17 PM

Do you have a point? You have no idea of my net worth. Really, I will go head to head on net worth any day.

A rather idiot crowd this evening, making comments out of turn and with no relation to the topic at hand.

Lump of coal in your stocking? See the smilie at the end of my post? It was a joke - relax. :D

swishsam
12-24-2008, 06:30 PM

You must have a point? You nothing of my car.

You are right. I do know nothing of your car, my mistake.

It is a "Honda Fit Sport"...

And, when was I ever arguing net worth? I was just saying that the only way you will be able to drive iis slow, undeniably.

swishsam
12-24-2008, 06:37 PM
But that being said, you have now peaked my interest regarding your unfathomable "net worth". How is it that you are so mighty?

I can tell you right now that my net worth is negative. I am poorer than zero.

If you want to compare future earning capacity (maybe 2 years down the road), that is another story which may not inspire so much confidence in you.