PDA

View Full Version : Hibernate and sleep

colinderksen
11-29-2008, 09:26 PM
I've checked it out online but haven't seen any good answers.

I know hibernate is a deep sleep and sleep will wake comp up quicker.

When the computer is in these modes, will it quit downloading? Say I am downloading a movie and I dont touch computer and it goes into hibernate or sleep, will it con tinue to download file or will it shut the DL down until I return?

Basically I am trying to setup my laptop so my battery doesn't die so quick, while still DLing things.

Thanks

GQBalla
11-29-2008, 09:38 PM
both will quit downlading.

try to set the laptop to turn off the lcd after 2 minutes of no use/

dj_rice
11-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Yeah if you want the laptop to keep downloading while u are asleep, why don't you plug your power cord into your laptop?

Otherwise you can either do the turn off LCD thing as GQballa said or you can set it up so that you just close your laptop but it still stays on and downloads, but if you do this, you also will have to change the if not in use or idle for a certain amount of time don't turn off thing....

colinderksen
11-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks guys. I'll ave to check that out.

Another question, I am going to be going on a plane soon. I would like to kill time and watch a few flicks, is there a way I can get a spare external battery or something or some way to get more life out of the comp? Without being plugged it usually doesnt last too long watching movies. Probably a stupid question.

dj_rice
11-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by colinderksen
Thanks guys. I'll ave to check that out.

Another question, I am going to be going on a plane soon. I would like to kill time and watch a few flicks, is there a way I can get a spare external battery or something or some way to get more life out of the comp? Without being plugged it usually doesnt last too long watching movies. Probably a stupid question.

Of course you can buy a spare battery, or you can get a bigger battery, I currently have a 12 cell lith-ion in my HP laptop, it lasts about 3-4 hours if I'm on it watching movies.....theres also 6 and 8 cell, those should last maybe 2 hours but I'm not sure on times exactly

If you want ur battery to last longer on the trip, maybe change your battery optimization settings to power saving instead of performance, you can change the brightness dimmer

trliniar
11-30-2008, 03:20 PM
you can buy this thing made by black and decker, its basically a battery that has a normal power plug on it, you charge that at home, take it with you, then plug your laptop into the batter with you regular cord....

cityhunter2501
11-30-2008, 04:53 PM
both will stop your downloads

hibernate - creates an image of your current session so that next time you turn your pc on it goes back to that session

sleep - theres current still going to your RAM