PDA

View Full Version : Looking for job in the oil patch

acwells30
11-30-2008, 12:41 PM
First off,

What a buttload of people on this forum talking jobs in the oil patch, you all seem like your well educated with a ton of experience. Seriously, wish I was with you all. With that being said I guess I'm a little like the guy who started the original thread, "crazy legs". I'm looking for work in the oil patch. I'm thinking from what I've been told I should be leaning towards MWD. Can anyone give me some heads up as to who might be hiring currently and maybe a contact. As for education, I've got a diploma in Information Technology and Course I did a few years back for Roughneck IADC/Rigpass. If anyone could point me in the right direction it'd be really appriceated.

Trini
11-30-2008, 02:53 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/91657/looking-for-mwd-in-the-patch/

http://www.reality-check.ca/showthread.php?p=1780358#post1780358

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/241450/oil-patch-questions/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/234828/how-much-do-you-really-make-in-oil/

kaput
11-30-2008, 03:39 PM

broken_legs
11-30-2008, 05:52 PM
I hear they're hiring lots of Drillers.

http://www.pavo.org.uk/uploads/pics/Siren_drill_portrait.JPG

CMW403
11-30-2008, 09:56 PM
:rofl:

ExtraSlow
11-30-2008, 10:10 PM
:facepalm:

SJW
11-30-2008, 10:20 PM
You wont get an MWD job without experience at this point.

Just being honest.

- horse's ass

f150mikey060
12-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by SJW
You wont get an MWD job without experience at this point.

Just being honest.

- horse's ass

x2. we have a number of kits just sitting here at the shop and have been for a good while. theres also more than a few disgruntled consultants :dunno:

SJW
12-01-2008, 03:10 PM
And its about to get a lil worse I think.

acwells30
12-01-2008, 03:25 PM
So the jist of what everyone is saying is, it's a bad time to go looking for a job in the oil & gas industry in alberta. Great, well, in the meantime if anyone hear's of anyone doing an hiring for entry level stuff, could they drop me a line please?

SJW
12-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Polish up the resume and start sending it out. Its always a good idea to have a current resume at all times.

Try

Ryan
Newsco
Phoenix Technology
Gyrodata
Kambi
Mostar
Schlumberger (degree or diploma required)
Sperry Sun
Scientific

broken_legs
12-01-2008, 05:43 PM
oil field yellow pages.

ExtraSlow
12-01-2008, 06:07 PM
http://www.cossd.com/

johnboy27
12-01-2008, 09:30 PM
If you want to get started you can try sending your resume to
[email protected] . I work there and I make pretty good money, about 80k this year. They are hiring a lot of guys in all of our camps right now.

Mys73ri0
12-02-2008, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by johnboy27
If you want to get started you can try sending your resume to
[email protected] . I work there and I make pretty good money, about 80k this year. They are hiring a lot of guys in all of our camps right now.

kinda OT - but how effective do people think sending resumes to e-mails and/or job sites like Monster/Workopolis? I mean, these people must get a tonne of e-mails daily and makes me think half get thrown out before even being looked at.

Amysicle
12-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Mys73ri0
kinda OT - but how effective do people think sending resumes to e-mails and/or job sites like Monster/Workopolis? I mean, these people must get a tonne of e-mails daily and makes me think half get thrown out before even being looked at. I haven't had much luck with Workopolis/Monster, but I know people who have. Because the resumes are submitted electronically, I'm sure they just do a search of resumes that have the keywords that they are looking for and discard the ones that don't have said keywords. You might have better luck trying to mirror the same type of words they use in their job posting while still keeping it true and relevent to your skills/experience.

broken_legs
12-02-2008, 10:59 AM
NA land should see a greater than 400 decline in rig count. We now expect 700 rig
decline by June as oil at $50/bbl should see the bulk of the 425 rigs drilling for oil laid
down and nat gas at $6 should see more program cuts. Probably more important than
the straight commodity price forecast, the ill functioning credit system is a material
overhang on the sector's customers and is likely to take time to alleviate. Margin
compression for land drillers should be more severe taking them to near 2002 levels by
Y-E '09 (HP already noted a $1k decline for spot flexrigs and $2k decline for
conventional rigs). Post the winter, Canadian activity should be lower than originally
expected, but may be less severe given early stage shale projects and a favorable
adjustment in the Canadian dollar.

dropdat
12-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Why would you want to go out into the field anyways? do you think you can even handle it?

I just got back about 3 hours ago and did anywhere from 12-16 hours a day for 47 days straight. Can you handle something like that?

Also, it gets COLD, go stand outside in Calgary weather right now and see how your feel. Try that for 12 hours+. This weather isn't even cold, it would be nice working in this, I pulled onto a lease yesterday and when I got into the consultants office it was -58 with the wind chill and the welders/electricians were still going at it.

dub_c
12-21-2008, 05:58 PM
The rig I'm on fires back up on the 5th. make money money make money money!!!!

SJW
12-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Fuck the cold. We were born for this shit. Lets all suck it up shall we?

w_man
12-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Its not that bad for an MWD job ... Lots money.

Try Weatherford. They are out of Edmonton and normally hire entry level MWD positions. A few of my friends are working there and are very busy (a little surprising) so give them a shout. MP me if you want contact info.

Goodluck.

westbeach70
12-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Try Canadian Sub surface outta Red deer.. I know down here in the hat we are keeping busy but with these weather conditions we sometimes get shut down working with fluid etc, but meh. Methanol works wonders .. haha.

Other then that I know the bottom of the line Big Eagle Hydrovac & Nitrogen outta the hat here are ALWAYS looking for guys.

Goodluck dude and if you do get hired on right away make damn sure to buy a good pair of winter boots, it gets cold on the ol toes standing in this shit for hours.

IhateDomestic
12-22-2008, 11:10 AM
if u got an IT background, u should dwell deeper and specialize in something like application development...

IT is the fastest developing field, you would have a MUCH greater chance at making money by working your way up in IT rather than Oil.

It's kinda too late to work your way up in the Oil industry unless you already KNOW someone that can hook you up. The industry is well-established and current businesses make it harder for you to enter the field because of the barriers they put up for competitors.

++Plus if you get into the IT field, you can sit inside a warm office or lab. Just a thought...

CEO of Facebook is a 23 year old Harvard student; he's now a multi-billionaire within a matter of 3-5years...

2cents buddy! GL

mazdavirgin
12-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by IhateDomestic
if u got an IT background, u should dwell deeper and specialize in something like application development...

IT is the fastest developing field, you would have a MUCH greater chance at making money by working your way up in IT rather than Oil.

Disagree... IT isn't where you should be if you are just chasing the almighty buck. Typically the same person with the same experience makes roughly 20k more per year working Oil and Gas versus working IT...

greg1
02-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Too bad their are smartass answers here. Some answers are thoughtful though.
1- yes, there is work out here, but truthfully we're in a downturn. 2-you really have to be out here. 3- there are
companies that are holding their own employees, but not too
many people are goofing off , like in the old days. Many see
less work so they're more diligent -staying at work.
4- mwd/dd's , oil rig hands are scarce since not many rigs are
operating now, but that can change.
5- try for any job out here and then you can get picky, once
you meet people and knock on doors.
All the Best, It's hard to hire a good person when they're on
the phone. good work, not good luck- that's what it will take!

Ymerej472008
02-04-2009, 09:25 PM
If I get laidoff....Im gonna make bumper stickers...
Dear God, I promise this time I'll save my money when it booms again!!
Its just made everyone pinch pennies in the oil and gas industry becasue so many people are afraid they'll be let go. Im trying to hardly spend a thing right now just to be on the safe side..

CalgarySS
02-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Ymerej472008
If I get laidoff....Im gonna make bumper stickers...
Dear God, I promise this time I'll save my money when it booms again!!
Its just made everyone pinch pennies in the oil and gas industry becasue so many people are afraid they'll be let go. Im trying to hardly spend a thing right now just to be on the safe side..

The sticker should read..."Please God give us another boom, I promise not to piss it away this time."

That was the original sticker from the 80s.